Character Customisation

Alistair

Character Customisation  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should the GTA IV character played be customisable?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should you be able to pick a variety of pre-made characters?

• Yes
    • No

PLEASE ANSWER BOTH QUESTIONS

We have all heard plenty members suggesting that they want to be able to customise their character in GTA IV, however, would it damage the storyline? Would the game even have a story line if we created our character from scratch? For example, would GTA:SA have worked if you picked your character as a white middle-aged man?

AND

Who thinks that instead of creating your character, or having just one character like with old GTA games, you can pick your character from a variety of different pre-made characters, each one having slightly varying storylines? This could even include female characters.

Edited by Alistair

There's been lots of discussion about this already but I don't like character customization because it would indeed mess the storyline up and San Andreas would've been the weirdest game ever if you played as a white middle-aged man so the storyline would've been even more f*cked than what it already was.

And no, there should not be a list of past characters to be opportunites to be protagonists because GTA IV should just have one special storyline instead of multiple ones no matter how slightly they're changed.

I agree with Rashon125, playing as some white middle-aged dude wouldn't really fit IMO. I voted no on both questions. I don't want player customization, only if GTA IV will have online play then it would be a great idea to create your own character from the scratch. And choosing between pre-made characters doesn't sound too good man, especially now when we're talking about a game like GTA, man I just want to focus on one main character with a background story and all (male/female doesn't matter).

There's been lots of discussion about this already but I don't like character customization because it would indeed mess the storyline up and San Andreas would've been the weirdest game ever if you played as a white middle-aged man so the storyline would've been even more f*cked than what it already was.

And no, there should not be a list of past characters to be opportunites to be protagonists because GTA IV should just have one special storyline instead of multiple ones no matter how slightly they're changed.

Yeah, I have to agree with Rashon125 because, do you remember that CutScean in San Fierro when you took the mission in Wo-Zi-Mu and he told CJ he is blind and then CJ told him "But, you know that I'm black not yellow, right"

Edited by CroScorpion

Character customization? To a point. Maybe build off of what they did in SA. To the point where you select features, skin color, gender, and all that? NO. Let us buy clothes and accessories and all that, but don't let us physically change the character.

A selection of pre-made characters? Only if that selection consists of ONE character. For the slow ones, that means NO. This, again, will ruin the game. GTA is not a game meant for custom characters and character selections. That's just not GTA.....

I myself don't think the character should be customised (outside of clothes, hair, and gym-training), it would basically mean you can't have a storyline, or would have to have a storyline as basic as GTA3, where it wouldn't really have mattered so much what your character was.

- - - - - - - - - - - - WARNING: Intense Rambling Ahead - - - - - - - - - - -

I do however think a variety of different characters to choose from, each having different storylines, would be pretty cool.

Let's take for example, if the game IS based in London and you start out as a cab driver. Then for argument's sake lets say you do the usual "working yourself up to become the big don of the city" style thing. Let's take three examples: a woman, an indian guy, and a british-born black guy. The only real difference in storylines would be any family contact in the game (like Sweet in SA), how some of your conversations go with certain people, and comments from people on the street. And that's it. (assuming they miss out the horrific idea of girlfriends in the game). Doesn't require too much extra and it doesn't really impinge on the main storyline. It would also be cool to, because of the vast size the GTA IV locality will be, have a few completely different storylines, with pre-made characters. I've always felt that the cities in GTA (and especially in the game Mafia) weren't as well used as they could have been. Stupid "easter eggs" had to be implemented in order to see all the different places in the games, but more or a bigger storyline might allow for it all to be seen. Like in SA, why exactly would a guy from the slums of south LA want to go to the slums of north LA or Vegas? Once you've already gotten out of your slum, you won't want to step foot in a slum again. So the ability to play as various characters (as seperate games all in GTA IV) would mean each character comes from each slum, and are the sterotype from that slum.

For example: Hot south american woman (like catalina) from Vagos territory, whatever the hell Ballas are, from their territory, an asian guy from san fierro, white-trash from one of the trailer parks, etc etc....could be a alot of fun and let the player relate to the game a little better.

Edited by Alistair

That does sound like a decent enough idea, and rather fun. Only problem I see with THAT idea is the size. And y'know, the extra work. The way you just described multi-character GTA actually requires a lot of work, since the actual mission layout and such will be entirely different. The biggest advantage I see in the idea, though, would be replay value and depth. What would be cool, is if you actually saw the other characters throughout the game. Like in missions and such. You won't actually know it until you play their story, but it would be pretty cool because you'd get to see some backgrounds of these characters you meet in the game. It would, indeed, but multiple games in one.

• 2 weeks later...