Manhunt 3 a possibility?

Jared

After reading this rather odd story the other day:

Joel Parker writes of his foray into cybersquatting with the post [There was a small chance that] ROCKSTAR GAMES AND TAKE TWO INTERACTIVE [could have] SUED ME.

Shortly after Manhunt 2 was announced, Parker decided to register www.manhunt3.com and then promptly forgot about it... until an attorney with Take Two contacted him and pointed out the registration was a trademark violation.

After a bit of research, Parker contacted them to transfer over the domain. They paid him his costs and threw in a bag o swag as a thank you. The freebies included three t-shirts, a grey pullover, a knitted cap and a coffee mug with a district Japanese design on it and the Rockstar logo.

So if you want free Rockstar swag go register Manhunt 5 or some such and wait for the email.

It got me thinking, why would TakeTwo be so concerned? Take www.gtavicecitystories.com for example, owned by Adriaan. Or www.gtalibertycitystories.com owned by us (TGTAP). You can tell from visiting either domain that they are in fact still owned by non-Rockstar Games counterparts. Why so desperate to own Manhunt3.com? Possibly a Manhunt 3 game is in development? It would certainly make some sense to this rather odd occurance.

Actually, this is VERY interesting, since I developed an interest in 'domaining' a couple of years ago I have monitored domains owned by Rockstar Games, and have seen them grab a few domains which were being legitimately used for fan sites (as opposed to a cyber squatter getting it for profit).

Here's some domains R* have acquired, related to GTA:

vicecitystories.com - from Neil

vicecitystories.de - from one of the German fansites

gtaiv.com - from a cyber squatter

all of these domains are the most relative to their game's name, and all redirect to the relevant official sites. Now the fact that all 3 domains have been used, suggests that manhunt3 will be used (otherwise they wouldn't bother buying it). Of course it could just be for future protection (Remedy Games own alanwake2.com and alanwake3.com and alanwakemovie.com - despite not even having the first game released yet)

The reason they don't go after other domains fansites own, like the ones you posted in your first post is because they already have a better or more relevant 'short' domain name which they're using to redirect to the rockstargames.com/[sitenamehere] URL.

Ummm, then why doesn't someone just make "gtav.com", "gta5.com","grandtheftautov.com" and "grandtheftauto5.com"? Those are all the possibilities for the 5th trilogy or whatever. This will answer a pretty large question. Will Rockstar have another trilogy of some sort and go onto the G4 generation of video game consoles?

Wow, I never even knew there was a Manhunt 2 lmao (or was it just announced recently). Anyways nice "thing" you noticed Jared. That be pretty cool to earn some money or merchandise but it's another great way to see if there are going to be sequels for games. Nice observations again, I probably would have never noticed anything like this.