Should I buy an XBOX360 or PS3 to play GTA IV?

Alistair

Dude get an XBOX 360. Trust me, you will be so much happier. The PS3 really disapointed me. 360 has alot more games and just plays better in all ways. Sure, I might get a PS3 SOMEDAY, but no time soon. Not until I see alot more games, the rumble function put back in the controller and about a $400 price drop!

Where did you play the PS3?

Remember, L.A. Noire is exclusive to the PS3. GET A PS3!!!

I played one at "Game-A-Hollics: New Age Arcade" (plug, plug, plug ;) ) Exlusive to my town.

The PS3s you could play in stores are extremely shitty compared to what you actually get. PS3 has pretty good exclusives along with ones that are going to be coming out. DON'T FORGET THE FREE SERVICE PLAYSTATION HOME!!!

Unreleased Games - 101 Titles (As of April 26, 2007)

Afrika

Airtight PS3 Project [untitled]

Aqua Vita

Big Time Revenge

BioWare Project

Brave Arms

Calling All Cars!

Castlevania PS3

Chain Limit

Coded Arms Assault

Crytek Project - Crysis [Rumored]

Danger Planet

DC Universe MMO

Dragon Age - EGM 5/2007

Dragon Ball Z [untitled]

Dreamers

Driver PS3 - Driver 5 [unofficial Title]

Eight Days

Ember

EyeDentify

Factor 5 Project #2 [untitled]

Fantasy Lab Project [untitled]

FIA World Touring Car Championship

Fifth Phantom Saga

Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Fumito Ueda

Fury

Game Arts Project

God of War III

Go! Puzzle

Gradius PS3

Grand Turismo 5

Gretzky NHL [Working Title]

Gundam Musou

Heavenly Sword

Hero

Hot Shots Golf [Working TItle]

Housemarque Project

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier [Rumored]

Killzone [Working Title]

Kingdom Hearts 3 [Rumored]

Koei Guan Yu PS3 Project - Dynasty Warriors [Rumored Title]

Kurayami AKA Darkness

Lair

L.A. Noire

LittleBigPlanet

Loco Roco PS3

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots

Metro 2033: The Last Refuge

MLB 07: The Show

Monster Hunter 3

Monster Kingdom

MotorStorm 2

Namco PS3 RPG

Namco PS3 Shooter

Namco PS3 Sports Project

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

NiOh

Nucleus

Pixel Junk

Project Psychic [Working Title]

Pterodon FPS Project [untitled]

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction [Working Title]

Redwood Falls

Rengoku The End of the Century

Resistance 2 [Rumored, But Likely] - EGM 2/2007

Returning Alive [Working Title]

Rockstar Old West PS3 Project [untitled]

Romance of the Three Kingdoms PS3

Sam Suede: Undercover Exposure

Second

Secret Service

Shin Megami Tensei

Silent Hill 5 [Working Title, Rumored]

Singstar [Working Title]

Skyblue

Spider-Man 3: Collector's Edition

Sony Online Mercenary / Spy MMO [untitled]

Sony Online Whimsical MMO [untitled]

Starbreeze Next-Gen Project [untitled]

Sucker Punch Project [untitled]

Super Rub-A-Dub

Team Siren Project [untitled]

Tecmo Action-Adventure [untitled]

Tekken 6

Time Crisis 4

thatgamecompany Project #2 [untitled]

thatgamecompany Project #3 [untitled]

The Eye of Judgment [Working Title]

The Getaway [Working Title]

The Wall

Twelve Interactive Sci-Fi action game [untitled]

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Unknown Realms

WarDevil Enigma

Warhawk

Way of the Samurai 3

White Knight Story

Wipeout Pulse [Working TItle]

Zipper Interactive PS3 Project - SOCOM 4 [Rumored Title]

Zone of the Enders 3

Released Games - 19 Titles (As of April 26, 2007)

Blast Factor

Cash Guns Chaos DLX

Flow

Formula One Championship Edition

Full Auto 2: Battlelines

Genji: Days of the Blade

Go! Sudoku

Gran Turismo HD

GripShift

Lemmings

Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire

MotorStorm

NBA 07

Resistance Fall Of Man

Ridge Racer 7

Tekken: Dark Resurrection

The Godfather: The Don's Edition

Untold Legends Dark Kingdom

Virtua Fighter 5 (For Now)

Source

Edited by Original GTA Master

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xbox, hands down Because its better, cheaper and better looking than the ps3 in my opinion.

BTW, is it true that there isn't going to be a PC release?

That is a rumor, at most.

The selection of games varies a little between consoles, so it's more down to personal taste on that front.

But PS3 has most games XBOX has, including Oblivion, and a lot of XBOX games are on the PC anyway so if you already have a PC.

The PS3 does have better graphics, it has antialiasing which makes a big difference in games, and I've read it has better graphics for Oblivion, therefore if you want the best graphics, get a PS3, just make sure you find one cheap because the retail price is ridiculous!

The differences between the console's GPU's performance-wise is miniscule. They are using two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT architectures, so you can't actually compare them. On paper, the PS3 has better graphics. In performance, I don't see a difference.

Dude get an XBOX 360. Trust me, you will be so much happier. The PS3 really disapointed me. 360 has alot more games and just plays better in all ways. Sure, I might get a PS3 SOMEDAY, but no time soon. Not until I see alot more games, the rumble function put back in the controller and about a $400 price drop!

Where did you play the PS3?

Remember, L.A. Noire is exclusive to the PS3. GET A PS3!!!

I played one at "Game-A-Hollics: New Age Arcade" (plug, plug, plug ;) ) Exlusive to my town.

The PS3s you could play in stores are extremely shitty compared to what you actually get. PS3 has pretty good exclusives along with ones that are going to be coming out. DON'T FORGET THE FREE SERVICE PLAYSTATION HOME!!!

He played it in an arcade, not a store. Big difference.

OGM wheres GTA IV on that list!?

oh and spaz, ive seen some side-by-sides of games with xbx360 and ps3. what i came to find out is that ps3's textures are alot smoother and it has a better darker/lighter and hue engine.

and xbox playing is a little darker. i dont know why but on every comparison ive seen the 360 is just... darker.

Edited by tilly

OGM wheres GTA IV on that list!?

oh and spaz, ive seen some side-by-sides of games with xbx360 and ps3. what i came to find out is that ps3's textures are alot smoother and it has a better darker/lighter and hue engine.

and xbox playing is a little darker. i dont know why but on every comparison ive seen the 360 is just... darker.

Um, comparing a bunch of Oblivion pictures, the looked almost identical, with only a few of the 360's pictures looking more appealing to my eyes. In all honesty, the rest of the pictures didn't even look all that great. At all.

the one in stores switches off every 5 minutes but the arcade one doesnt.

Not in Walmart... o.o

Spaz, trust me there is a difference. I think both versions of Oblivion use HDR lighting, but PS3 as far as I'm aware uses antialiasing as well, something the X360 can't do. Antialiasing makes a HUGE difference to graphics in any game. Of course neither console can beat a top-spec PC.

Anyway, this guy explains it best:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=79230

And this video (which I haven't watched yet) should help:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18049&type=wmv

Of course, putting Oblivion aside, if you want the best GTAIV graphics, I'd go for a PS3 - purely because of the antialiasing.

Spaz, trust me there is a difference. I think both versions of Oblivion use HDR lighting, but PS3 as far as I'm aware uses antialiasing as well, something the X360 can't do. Antialiasing makes a HUGE difference to graphics in any game. Of course neither console can beat a top-spec PC.

Anyway, this guy explains it best:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=79230

And this video (which I haven't watched yet) should help:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18049&type=wmv

Of course, putting Oblivion aside, if you want the best GTAIV graphics, I'd go for a PS3 - purely because of the antialiasing.

Um, wasn't MS the first to announce anti-aliasing back in 2005 at E3? On top of that, the EXACT link you sent me said this:

"4--The PS3 version DOES NOT have simultaneous High Dynamic Range (HDR) lighting and and Full Screen Antialiasing (FSAA). The RSX lacks the necessary memory bandwidth to do so as do all nVIDIA G70 and below based GPUs do. The PS3 version only has HDR lighting."

On top of THAT, the high-res screens I found showed MORE jagged edges on the PS3 screen caps. Doesn't anti-aliasing REMOVE those? Yeah, I'm rather certain that's what it does.....

Spaz - whoops, my mistake.

But the PS3 does look better - the best check is the difference in the emperor's face (on the video) between the two, clearly a hell of a lot better on the PS3. It could never ever beat the graphics on a PC though, which is why I'm so annoyed they won't release GTA games on the PC simultaneously with console versions.

Edited by Alistair

But the PS3 does look better - the best check is the difference in the emperor's face (on the video) between the two, clearly a hell of a lot better on the PS3. It could never ever beat the graphics on a PC though, which is why I'm so annoyed they won't release GTA games on the PC simultaneously with console versions.

I think the graphics of the next-gen consoles are meeting the bench mark that the PC sets and, with in the next two yaers, will serpass them by a graet deal.

I think this is because the game makers are just now hendering power of these machines and will one day soon, fully utilize it.

Got an Xbox 360 cheaper and better then the ps3 !

Also Grand theft auto 4 will be on Xbox 360 what ever happens to take two and if they get in a bidding war microsoft would wipe sony all over the shop floor.

And xbox live cant be beaten !

All the ps3 exclusives are coming to xbox 360 !

If you dont want to be owned get an xbox 360 !

Also the downloadble stuff it looks like Xbox 360 is only getting it just look who told us that it going to happen Peter Moore, head of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business !

I think the graphics of the next-gen consoles are meeting the bench mark that the PC sets and, with in the next two yaers, will serpass them by a graet deal.

I think this is because the game makers are just now hendering power of these machines and will one day soon, fully utilize it.

You're an idiot, sir. PCs will ALWAYS be ahead. Why? They can be UPGRADED. The video cards out for PCs are more than double that of what the PS3 and 360 are running. Both systems were below what a PC can do BEFORE THEY WERE RELEASED.

Also Grand theft auto 4 will be on Xbox 360 what ever happens to take two and if they get in a bidding war microsoft would wipe sony all over the shop floor.

Also the downloadble stuff it looks like Xbox 360 is only getting it just look who told us that it going to happen Peter Moore, head of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business !

You sound like such a fan boy and not all PS3 exclusives are going to 360 wtf? If they were then there not exclusives are they.

You're an idiot, sir. PCs will ALWAYS be ahead. Why? They can be UPGRADED. The video cards out for PCs are more than double that of what the PS3 and 360 are running. Both systems were below what a PC can do BEFORE THEY WERE RELEASED.

Hey, I liked you, thought you were a good guy but you call me an idiot. I don't come shitin all over you ideas now do I.

Here's my point. the 360 has the power if not more power than a PC at this point. Sure they can upgrade but the 360 is all about how you utilize it's tech. If you do it right, then you will make a game better than any PC game ever made or that will ever be made. Plus next-gen consoles are just as upgradeable as a PC. Hell they practically are PCs at this point.

Hey, I liked you, thought you were a good guy but you call me an idiot. I don't come shitin all over you ideas now do I.

Here's my point. the 360 has the power if not more power than a PC at this point. Sure they can upgrade but the 360 is all about how you utilize it's tech. If you do it right, then you will make a game better than any PC game ever made or that will ever be made. Plus next-gen consoles are just as upgradeable as a PC. Hell they practically are PCs at this point.

No sir, you're wrong. Yes, ALL consoles are PCs. TONED DOWN PCs. Right now, as we speak, no console can touch a high-end PC. It's just that simple. The 360 doesn't have more power than a pc. My computer is running 2GBs of RAM, what's the 360 running in terms of RAM? No where near. Case proven with that alone. I have a 200GB HDD with a second 200HDD I need to install((I'm a procrastinator)), how big is the 360 HDD? Exactly. Case proven, again. What about the GPU of these two systems? It's already been said that the PS3 GPU is outdated in terms of the COMPANY THAT MADE IT, so it can be expected the same goes for the 360. They have 512MB GPUs out FOR GAMING.... Neither the PS3 nor 360 is running that. So where's your proof of your claims? Oh, yeah, you have none.

Consoles are not upgradeable. You can't buy a stick a RAM, open your PS3, and stick it in there. Sorry, doesn't work that way. Are you telling me if you decided that Cell processor wasn't enough for you anymore you could go buy a better one and stick it in there? RIIIIIIGHT. I believe you. Entirely.

STFU. :rolleyes:

Well, right now the Xbox 360 has more interesting games IMO, but there are coming some great games on the PS3 aswell, like Metal Gear Solid 4, Tekken 6, L.A. Noire. I'm going for a PS3, it's just more interesting and all.

I heard someone say that the PS3 has like no games on it right now but when I went to check there's plenty to keep you entertained for over 2 years!

No sir, you're wrong. Yes, ALL consoles are PCs. TONED DOWN PCs. Right now, as we speak, no console can touch a high-end PC. It's just that simple. The 360 doesn't have more power than a pc. My computer is running 2GBs of RAM, what's the 360 running in terms of RAM? No where near. Case proven with that alone. I have a 200GB HDD with a second 200HDD I need to install((I'm a procrastinator)), how big is the 360 HDD? Exactly. Case proven, again. What about the GPU of these two systems? It's already been said that the PS3 GPU is outdated in terms of the COMPANY THAT MADE IT, so it can be expected the same goes for the 360. They have 512MB GPUs out FOR GAMING.... Neither the PS3 nor 360 is running that. So where's your proof of your claims? Oh, yeah, you have none.

Consoles are not upgradeable. You can't buy a stick a RAM, open your PS3, and stick it in there. Sorry, doesn't work that way. Are you telling me if you decided that Cell processor wasn't enough for you anymore you could go buy a better one and stick it in there? RIIIIIIGHT. I believe you. Entirely.

Maybe so BUT! The PC is a dying in terms of gameing, slowly but surely. There are no good games for the PC and the few there are don't utilize it's full power. Sure you can have a huge game world in a PC game but. The PC games physics suck, the games suck, the controls (via keyboard) blow.

Edited by fatalgamer

Maybe so BUT! The PC is a dying in terms of gameing, slowly but surely. There are no good games for the PC and the few there are don't utilize it's full power. Sure you can have a huge game world in a PC game but. The PC games physics suck, the games suck, the controls (via keyboard) blow.

PC is no where near dying. There are plenty of good games for the PC, and as it stands, a console can't properly do a FPS game. It just can't.... Of COURSE games don't utilize the PC's full power, do you know how OUTRAGEOUS a game like that would be? But that's just it, the PC keeps expanding... Once you reach a console's limits you're done... That's it.... Can't go any further.... How do PC game physics suck? That makes no sense. PS3 has some sucky physics on games. The 360 has some sucky physics on games. That's all about the people producing the game, not what it's played on((unless it just can't support it, and we're talking about something that has the ability of having 4GB+ of RAM, 1TB+ HDD space, and dual-core processors, with a 512MB GPU. Trust me, they can do a lot with that. A lot more than with a console.

You do realise ALL the recent GTA games with the exception of LCS and VCS have appeared on the PC? The series STARTED ON THE PC. FPS and RPGs are significantly better on PC. The Sims on PC can't be touched by The Sims on ANY CONSOLE. Period. All of these are WAY EASIER to control using a keyboard and mouse((with the exception of GTA)). But as stated before, it's extremely easy and cheap to buy a controller for your PC. It isn't as easy to get a keyboard for your console. It's easier to turn a PC into a console than it is to turn a console into a PC. Cheaper, also. So again, where's your support?