Europe and Asia

Paul T.

The topic title says "Europe and Asia, what separates them?"

My answer is physically nothing. There is no river separating Asia and Europe. Asia and Europe are connected by land. So why are they two different continents? Some people say the Europeans saw the Asians and said:

"We look nothing like them! We don't have small eye lids like them! We don't talk like them! Lets make our own country and we're Europe, you guys can be Asia!"

Ok, no one ever said that, but it is basically like that. Europe and Asia are both on the same land. We Asians didn't really care about it, but I just thought about it right now. So Europe and Asia combine into Eurasia? I mean, the only thing separating the two continents is a imaginary border line! Let the flaming begin- I mean what are your opinions?

Oh by the way, here is the map:

europe.gif

Edited by dapaulwall92

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes they are both civilissed especilly singapore but i belibe the two continets are split at where china ends so half of russia is asia and the other half is europe , but that get's me thinking people frfom places like st peters berg would look complety different to the people who live at the border of russia and china.

Edited by Wu-Zi-Mu

Oh, yeah, really, and what about Japan.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Japan's economy was almost as large as that of the rest of the continent combined. In 1995, Japan's economy nearly equalled that of the USA to tie the largest economy in the world for a day, after the Japanese currency reached a record high of 79 yen. But since then, Japan's currency has corrected and China has grown to be the second-largest Asian economy, followed by India, in terms of exchange rates. It is expected that China will surpass Japan in currency terms to have the largest nominal GDP in Asia within a decade or two. India is expected to overtake Japan by 2030.

well, it's an opinion from economic expert

don't you agree?

The topic title says "Europe and Asia, what separates them?"

My answer is physically nothing. There is no river separating Asia and Europe. Asia and Europe are connected by land. So why are they two different continents? Some people say the Europeans saw the Asians and said:

"We look nothing like them! We don't have small eye lids like them! We don't talk like them! Lets make our own country and we're Europe, you guys can be Asia!"

Ok, no one ever said that, but it is basically like that. Europe and Asia are both on the same land. We Asians didn't really care about it, but I just thought about it right now. So Europe and Asia combine into Eurasia? I mean, the only thing separating the two continents is a imaginary border line! Let the flaming begin- I mean what are your opinions?

Oh by the way, here is the map:

europe.gif

There actually is a river that splits Europe and Asia it is called the Volga, and in North The Urals split Europe and Asia too.

As you can see there are different models of the world continents. In one of them Eurasia is considered one continent.

eurasiau94.jpg

Edited by QuickDeath

One is civilised, one isn't. Also, they're continents, not countries.

Big f*** you there.

Asia IS civilised. Some places even further than Europe.

Just because the middle-east isn't doesn't mean the whole of Asia isn't. I bet you haven't even ever been there, I can tell you there are alot of Asian people who are whay richer and civilised than you or anyone here.

I've flown alot, and guess what. The best airliners ARE ASIAN!

Really, saying Asia isn't civilised is a real small minded view.

Well I asked my history teacher about this, he said that there is nothing separating the two continents but it is too late to combine them because of economy and political issues. Yup asian airliners are great! [Cathay Pacific], the airplanes are like first class. Asians do not go to other countries and kill the natives[not that I know of], Asia does not enslave people [not that I know of]. I don't know why they call us smart in school. I just do the work and listen and they called me the smart one. [and trust me I am not smart].

Big f*** you there.

Asia IS civilised. Some places even further than Europe.

Just because the middle-east isn't doesn't mean the whole of Asia isn't. I bet you haven't even ever been there, I can tell you there are alot of Asian people who are whay richer and civilised than you or anyone here.

I've flown alot, and guess what. The best airliners ARE ASIAN!

Really, saying Asia isn't civilised is a real small minded view.

I know you meant

Air India

:lolbounce:

I dont understand how come he thinks we are not civilized.

Thankz to your post.Everyone know who is more civilized now.

You just affended two of my friends. SOME of the countries are poor but that doesnt make them uncivilised :pissedred:

I wouldnt mind travelling to asia theres sum fine looking birds out there.

I'm probably going to go with the school next year to China . Ill need to get a job to afford it.

Edited by Jonker

@Joya: That was just a racist offense against me, my family, most of my friends. If you think Asia is uncivilized, I can point out some things that Europe did that WASN'T civilized and that was BARBARIC!

@Jonker: China is great, but be careful, it is a communist country. And you do know how communists work. Oh and be careful about the two Koreas, they technically haven't ended the war yet , back from the cold war. I agree with you on this : Sure we may be poor, but just because we are poor, doesn't mean were un-civilized.

That's the most dumbass comment I've ever seen. You should've known a comment like that would get you flamed.

Anyway, back on topic. Isn't there a European Russia and the rest of Russia is in Asia? I saw it on one of those Encarta things.

I can point out some things that Europe did that WASN'T civilized and that was BARBARIC!

Although I totally agree with that being racist and stupid remark. Did is past tence, so is was. Europe isn't barbaric anymore, but still. Many places in Asia are MORE civilised then Europe.

Singapore%20-%20Merlion%20en%20hoogbouw%20web%20groot.jpg

I love Singapore :)

First of all I think these continents will never join together because the idea of terrorism and if they were one continent (asia and europe) then terrorist could travel anywhere basically and cause havoc, but generally now Asia is really catching up, China is getting really powerful but that could lead to wars. Bog fish dont like small fish growing!

Where did you get that map from? It's not very accurate when it's missing out the UK, Republic of Ireland, and the vast majority of Scandinavia, all of which are in Europe, hell, most of them are in the EU.

Also looks like a few notable Asian countries left out.

I don't think there's a point to merging the two, and only when talking about the land as a whole is it suitable to refer to it as Eurasia IMO.

I think the main differences lie in the cultures. East and West, though the East is taking a lot from the West now, they're still radically different.

Europe has a mix of good and bad - Western Europe, compared to the (old) Eastern section of Europe, though that part is mainly heading in a much better direction now, so that's all good.

Asia on the other hand, has two notable communist countries, China and North Korea, and some of the countries (Viet Nam, Singapore) while incredibly awesome countries (especially the landscapes and buildings), also have very poor parts rife with poverty and even in the richer parts, piracy and other forms of theft are big.

I wonder if smartboy4 will ever return here, he was a Singaporean, he was a pretty cool member too.

What's your point? The only thing seperating France from Germany is also an imaginary line, I'm not gonna start up an entire new topic on it with a diagram that is ridiculously bad.

The real map: Asia in Green, Europe in Red.

europeasiamv3.jpg

my damn point was why did we separate it in the first place? The two major continents are on the same land mass. Same with North America and South America.

Yeah, but North and South America were separated from Central America with countries including San Salvador and all those. You can easily tell the difference but Europe and Asia are like glued together like you're basically saying unlike a small strip of land leading from Mexico south in North America to South America.

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

The division of the landmass of Eurasia into the separate continents of Asia and Europe is an anomaly with no basis in physical geography. The separation is maintained for historical and cultural reasons. An alternative view is that Eurasia is a single continent, one of six continents in total. This view is held by some geographers and is preferred in Russia (which spans Asia and Europe).

Personally I had never really thought about it, but I think Christianity may have had a lot to do with it. Europe is predominatley Christian, where Asia is not. I know that Turkey is not and there are a lot of Islamic people in Spain, and I'm sure some Christians in Asia but that would seem to be a dividing line.

Of course, not everyone subscribes to the popular 7 continent think either. Some people call it 6, others 5. I mean think about it, Egypt touches part of Asia so they aren't technically "seperate"