Realism

Because I'm sick of not being able to read through the other threads, you guys (and a little bit me) are arguing over the same thing on like 3 different threads, it's better we discuss realism here.

Anyway, back onto what I was saying, firstly:

- Is realism popular? Well.....I think The Sims proved to the world that gamers love realism, so I think it should be, what does everybody else think?

secondly:

- I play GTA FOR realism, not for some different experience to what can be done in real life, how about you guys?

Edited by Alistair

Alright man, well I played GTA II a lot and it wasn't that realistic, was it? So yeah man, I'm playing GTA cuz it's fun, it's simple, the freedom you have, and of course, when GTA III took the step in 3D that was great, but I wouldn't say I play it for the realism, the GTA-series is just great you know, has that special feel. Also, when you're carrying on a lot of inhibitions, then it's pretty nice to play GTA :P Realism is important, but it's not everything, sometimes it's better to leave things the way they are and all, but I'm not saying realistic is a bad thing, can be great, depends on what you're improving and all.

I'm a gamer and I don't "love" realism, it's great, but also, it depends on what game it is and all, there's more important factors when making a game than realism you know.

Well thats why i don't like spaceship games where u kill like 100 enemies in 1 mission and you get little damage.

1st there are no little blue lightning shooting ships

2nd you are strongest

But i like GTAs what are little unrealistic and little realistic and that makes game fun :).

Edited by DeAtH

Well, it would just be more realism each time a game is made, which would take a long time to reach full realism if ever! I thought that was the point of GTA to be honest, that and the storylines.

GTA is not about realism. I mean HONESTLY, have you even PLAYED some of these games? Have you played some of the missions in GTA? It's about crime, mobs, driving, and a limited amount of realism. A game where you steal cars for fun was never meant to be realistic.

In some points GTA must be "real"(graphics especially) and some of them must stay "un-real"(some gameplay features-100$ fine after killing hundreds of people, be serious)`cuz a game too realistic is just like real lifeand we play games to escape from the real life monotony and boringness<---I think this word is invented by me :)

Exactly, for example:

Wouldn't you just hate it if in GTA you died after 1 or 2 shots of a pistol? GTA is great because it isn't real. In real life you can't just run round shooting people then get out of jail in 4 hours or so. And also you can never die! There is NO game over which makes it funner than some other games!

Of course it has to have quite a bit of realism but it needs have its own kind of realism, you know what I'm saying?

Exactly, for example:

Wouldn't you just hate it if in GTA you died after 1 or 2 shots of a pistol? GTA is great because it isn't real. In real life you can't just run round shooting people then get out of jail in 4 hours or so. And also you can never die! There is NO game over which makes it funner than some other games!

Of course it has to have quite a bit of realism but it needs have its own kind of realism, you know what I'm saying?

Yeah totally agree they shouldn't change the current format where you die of how many times you want. Realsim should go a little further but not way further.

Well how about.......a difficulty setting! So, the higher you set it, the more realistic it gets, the less setting, the more arcade it is?

Also, does nobody else hate how unrealistic it is when you're shooting somebody? A shot to the chest kills. A shot to the stomach incapacitates and can kill, a shot to the arm means you can't use that arm, a shot to the leg means you can't run, etc etc.....I would love it if that was real....except for your character, who should be unrealistically tough because otherwise it would make the game stupidly difficult.

Spazthegreat, I drive and have done so for many years, and I would love realistic driving in-game so you can relate to it a little better.

Edited by Alistair

Well how about.......a difficulty setting! So, the higher you set it, the more realistic it gets, the less setting, the more arcade it is?

Also, does nobody else hate how unrealistic it is when you're shooting somebody? A shot to the chest kills. A shot to the stomach incapacitates and can kill, a shot to the arm means you can't use that arm, a shot to the leg means you can't run, etc etc.....I would love it if that was real....except for your character, who should be unrealistically tough because otherwise it would make the game stupidly difficult.

Spazthegreat, I drive and have done so for many years, and I would love realistic driving in-game so you can relate to it a little better.

maybe that could happen, like call of duty 3, it depends on what difficulty you've set, and the game become tougher, in the highest difficulty, 1 m1 garrand shot to the head, and you could die

but let's not go too far here, after all higher difficulty makes the game more and more annoying, but on the other hand it also makes the game more fun and challenging!

and i think that the main character should also get the shot realicity, but not too real, like when we could kill them with one headshot, they could kill us with 3 headshots!