GameInformer's World Exclusive GTAIV Preview - Details

Chris

gameinformer_IV_exclusive_may07.jpg Some luckly subscribers have already received their copy of GameInformer, the one with the world exclusive 10 page preview of GTA 4. The following is a summary of what we've learned from the magazine. More in depth details will be posted later, with further analysis.

The Facts

• The main character's name is Niko Bellic - he is an Eastern European immigrant
  • Bellic arrives in Liberty City as he has been receiving emails from his cousin, Roman. At the start of the game, he is the only person you know.
  • Roman lies to get Niko to come to Liberty City, by telling him he has women, cars and money...he is actually in huge debt. Niko thinks he will live the "American Dream".
  • The Statue of Liberty is now called the Statue of Happiness, while DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) is known as BOABO (Beneath the Offramp of the Algoquin Bridge Overpass).
  • Liberty City's similarities to New York are as follows, with 4 of the 5 boroughs being recreated: Brooklyn = Broker; Manhattan = Algonquin; Queens = Dukes; Bronx = Bohan; New Jersey = Alderney
  • The scale of Liberty City is slightly smaller than San Andreas, except now there are no wasted parts (with countryside for example), it is a lot more detailed.
  • Multiplayer modes in GTA 4 are still to be announced, however, Rockstar have said it won't be a massively multiplayer online game. They are making something interesting, fun and progressive, and which ties in with single player gameplay.
  • Since it's only New York, there will be no planes in the game which you can pilot. Rockstar want the game to seem realistic, i.e. you won't be needing planes.
  • Pedestrians are a lot more realistic, and do things such as smoke, sit on benches, read, go shopping, eat, and more...
  • Rockstar have been working very hard on the targeting system - expect it to be a big improvement from previous games.
  • After the initial loading sequence, there will be no more loading screens to sit through, not even when transitioning between interior and exterior environments
  • While making the game, Rockstar consulted crime experts and ex-policemen and found that being a criminal is much more difficult now than it was during previous decades, so they have tried to reflect this in the game. Expect to see people getting arrested as the police are a heavy presence.
  • As Rockstar North are approaching the recruitment of voice actors in a different way. We probably won't hear and recognisable voices in GTA 4 because they are looking for voices that suit the attitude of the characters - This approach is also being carried over to the soundtrack, where R* are looking for music which works well with the modern day Liberty City.
  • You will use a cell phone to call contacts
  • The visual effects of the game will be massively enhanced - the rising and setting sun will reflect off glass and light up details on buildings; the streets will have potholes and rubble. Variations in terrain are reflected in the way people walk over it.
  • A big part of the game is delivering story in new ways and allowing the player to plot their own destiny
  • GameInformer played the Xbox 360 version, and say the graphics are not representative of the final version. The final version will look better than these shots suggest

Huge thanks to demologik at GTAForums for getting the mag so quickly, and providing the pictures of it. You can discuss how you feel about GTA 4 as we learn new details in our forum.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Facts:

* The main character's name is Niko Bellic (This is apparently a Croatian name)

Chris, I'm Croatian, so I know Croatian names, we never use double letters for anything! Maybe it's wrong spelling because: Niko Belic, can be a Croatian name, but last letter is not "c" it's should be a letter you don't have in alphabet. It's "ć" (you probably now seeing some stupid sigh witch is not a letter, because you PC don't have it in system)

That's when the girl gets home from work... How the hell did she manage to get a copy of the magazine... bizarre.

@Gycu: you have to get permission to post magazine scans - publishers get especially annoyed when people put them online while the magazine is on sale because it is foten detrimental to their sales - people read the info and don't bother going out to buy the mag. People are posting them already on this forum and others, I'm sure if GI browse any of our sites they'll find them and we'll be asked to take them down.

At the moment, the pics we're getting are barely readable, so they don't matter really, IMO.

Regarding the name Bellic: The reason why we all think it's Croatian is because in Croatia, a lot of names tend to end with 'ic'. I don't know of another country that. And I think with the accented c, only makes a difference to people who actually live in Croatia and speak the language, such as yourself. We may all be wrong though, maybe we won't find out just yet...

EDIT: Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia - Three places where surnames commonly end with -ic - pronounced 'itch'

That's when the girl gets home from work... How the hell did she manage to get a copy of the magazine... bizarre.

@Gycu: you have to get permission to post magazine scans - publishers get especially annoyed when people put them online while the magazine is on sale because it is foten detrimental to their sales - people read the info and don't bother going out to buy the mag. People are posting them already on this forum and others, I'm sure if GI browse any of our sites they'll find them and we'll be asked to take them down.

At the moment, the pics we're getting are barely readable, so they don't matter really, IMO.

Regarding the name Bellic: The reason why we all think it's Croatian is because in Croatia, a lot of names tend to end with 'ic'. I don't know of another country that. And I think with the accented c, only makes a difference to people who actually live in Croatia and speak the language, such as yourself. We may all be wrong though, maybe we won't find out just yet...

I dont know if you know a lot about football but theres Serbian football names ending with 'ic' like Nemanja Vidic and Dejan Stefanovic so really I wouldn't say he is Croation just yet.

Edited by ps3 player

This sucks, what is the use of the huge NY if we cant fly? i mean one of the greatest SA features was flying and parachuting. R* just could have used another city, a city that has nothing to do with 9/11. IV just keeps on disappointing me... <_<

Just because there aren't any planes doesn't mean we can't fly. There could still be helicopters, as King 2003 said. I think Dan Houser is just pulling out legs a bit by say no planes.

But also, nothing has been mentioned of helicopters. He only said planes there, not all aircraft. Hmm...

Exactly.

"Bellic is not going to be riding a Unicycle or Rollerblading around, we're giving a choice of variety that feels right for the character. We are not suddenly saying there will be no more motorbikes, were keeping all of that stuff, we are keeping the same range and diversity that we had it's just going to fit the character."

I guess there is a high possibility that we'll be seeing "motorbikes" in the game.