Niko Bellic.

* The protagonist's name is Niko Bellic. (Likely to be Crotian [iTS CROATIAN RETARDS!!]in origin)

well when i saw that on GTAgaming my first thoughts where " Learn Proper English..." and then i read what it said and i was like "umm umm....SWEET!!!" and i tried to pronounce the name, and it sounded Very Fimiliar to me. So i went and asked my dad to read it and he said THERE are Bellic families in croatia, and Niko is a well known Name In a City Called Gospic. And i also got a recording of friends and the accent sounded Very similar, My thoughts are "WOOT!" because i am part Croatian, and Almost All my Cousins and Relitives have heard of GTA,Rockstar, or even played GTA before. So what do you think of this "niko" comming from Croatia?

oh and Chris, tell those noobs at GTAgaming to Learn Proper english :lol:

Yeah I'm Croatian...but I don't live in Serbia,I live in Montenegro which is completly different then Serbia.

Serbia and Montenegro used to be one country but now these are two seperate independent countries.

Niko Bellic is name commonly heard in Croatia,and it definetly can't be heard in Russia,Poland etc. so

I think the main character is definetly a Croatian.Try Wikipedia if you don't bealive me.

EDIT:Maybe this rumor could be posted on main page,Chris?

EDIT:He could be from Greece too....Niko is shorter of Nikolai in Greece but Niko is full name here in Croatia and we have Nikola

too.

Edited by DareDevilX

Yeah, it certanly does sound like a Croatian name. I think the chances are pretty big it's gonna be it. The name Roman is a name in Croatia aswell, not very common but it's there. And on the top of all, Croatia has a big problem with emigrants. The only country "better" than them is Israel. So the info leaves me with hopes...

Wow, nice theory I guess. Sounds look it could be very true. Even though I was looking forward to Niko being Russian but hearing all these theories certainly changes my mind a bit. I think it would be great if he was Croatian because I do not know much (barely anything) about Croatia so this could be a nice learning experience. :)

Guys, when looking into names, first names RARELY matter when it's common. There's a version of "Nick" in loads of countries.

Nick

Nicholas

Niko

Nik

Niki

Nikos

Nikolai

Nicola

Nicole

And I could go on... but see? We don't get anywhere by looking at first name. Bellic is all we're interested in here.

Keep in mind that after all these possibilities, surname comes from the father. So while his father may have been Croatian, Niko himself could have been born in Canada for all we know (of course not at all likely and nonsensical, but possible) :P

Anyway, like I said in my original post about the GI magazine, and right from the start I should add, was that the name is likely of Slavic origin, I edited it out because of all the uncertainty, and just left it as Eastern European. Yeah it's vague but at least it's factually accurate right now... I personally believe him to be Croatian, if not then perhaps Serbian or Montenegrin, or another former Yugoslav country.

With the immigrant issue, I didn't even think they went to America, what's shown on UK news is the amount of Eastern Europeans coming into England. And usually, they are Albanian or Polish. You very rarely hear of Croatians being a problem, at least not here in the UK anyway.

Below is a map of Europe, and for those of you who fail at Geography, I've outlined the general area where he is probably from.

post-2-1176648244_thumb.jpg

i think this guy sounds wicked!

its a great change from playing as an american guy.

a flipping croatian!!

its weird, but i have never been disappointed with the character that you play as in any of the gta games.

as soon as i saw the gta video, and saw niko, i was like f***ING WICKED!!!

* The protagonist's name is Niko Bellic. (Likely to be Crotian [iTS CROATIAN RETARDS!!]in origin)

well when i saw that on GTAgaming my first thoughts where " Learn Proper English..." and then i read what it said and i was like "umm umm....SWEET!!!" and i tried to pronounce the name, and it sounded Very Fimiliar to me. So i went and asked my dad to read it and he said THERE are Bellic families in croatia, and Niko is a well known Name In a City Called Gospic. And i also got a recording of friends and the accent sounded Very similar, My thoughts are "WOOT!" because i am part Croatian, and Almost All my Cousins and Relitives have heard of GTA,Rockstar, or even played GTA before. So what do you think of this "niko" comming from Croatia?

They made one typo, you made a lot.

Having a Croatian person would be something very new. This could be a trick, but I doubt they would have two protagonists.

NOROC!

W/E That means...

and what is "typo"?

Back on ropic, yeah...umm....are any of your cousins workin' with Rockstar?

because then, ya'll be the king here (nice avatar, BTW) lol, and it sounds croatian, first, when i heard this guy i tought it would be some russian, i was sure it was Jerkov (not jerkoff) from GTA2, it looks exactly like him.

• 2 weeks later...

They made one typo, you made a lot.

Having a Croatian person would be something very new. This could be a trick, but I doubt they would have two protagonists.

PR4WNED!