Game Sales Predictions

Gerard

_42791879_games_graph416x297.gif

The above is a graph showing past games sales and a prediction for the future. This graph predicts that Xbox 360 game sales will increase for a few years, with sales for the Wii and PS3 staying roughly the same. The Xbox 360 is predicted to do singificantly better than the other two consoles, with the PS3 behind the Wii. Around 2009, sales for all the consoles will decline.

At this time, we would expect a new generation of consoles to be born, or else we could be facing a complete crash in the gaming industry. It is a known fact that selling consoles lose a lot of money for the manufacturers (although not the Wii), and they make their money through selling accessories and licenced games. Even the games themselves don't make profits for the developers, and piracy plays a big part in that.

I'm wondering what the members here think of this. Do you think Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony are going to keep making consoles, and that developers are going to keep coming up with new games? Or do you think that games as we know them are just not worth making anymore, and that there's a risk that we could be without them in a few years?

Lol why did they bother including the Dreamcast on that graph. Great console but it's irrelevant for the purposes of the graph.

This is of course just a prediction, but in my opinion, I think it will be slightly different...

First of all, I do think that the Xbox 360 will always be the leader. It's had a years head start, and it is doing great. The PS3 has had a truly awful start, but I think (and hope) that things will pick up for them, they've lost tons of exclusives (GTAIV for a start), but they still have some console sellers, GT5, and even GTAIV actually, despite it also being available for the 360. So I think after a slow start Sony will do well, but I don't think in this generation they will beat the 360, to be honest.

Nintendo on the other hand have had a fantastic start, however, whether their console can be truly called next-gen is debatable. The graphics obviously being the main downfall, but it's good they're taking steps to improve the online functionality, with more games beginning to use it. IMO I believe that the Wii is a bit of a fad at the moment, unless it gets some really great games I can't see it holding on to it's popularity it's enjoying at the moment.

Those are just my opinions, agree with them or not, I don't care :)

In that case, whether ANY of them can be called next-gen is "debatable". What have they done? Improved the way our games LOOK? Oh, great, fantastic, I'm playing the same damn game, only it LOOKS a little more life-like. WOWEE! Nintendo took a different step and improved the way we PLAY. So yes, they ARE next-gen. Nintendo has ALWAYS been next-gen, for they've always had the best innovations. Rumble, the analog, motion-sensing, THE f***IN' D-PAD FOR CHRIST'S SAKE IS TRADEMARKED BY NINTENDO!

I'm sorry, but I hate when the very people who SAVED GAMING AS WE KNOW IT are down-talked for having lower-than-par graphics. Or a slightly weaker processor. f*** you fanboys. Without Nintendo there WOULDN'T BE A PS3 RIGHT NOW. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

[/rant]

I see the PS3 sales slightly lower than that, but raised slightly in late-07, for GTA IV, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that graph is interesting, I don't think there will be another Playstation to be honest because the creater of it (Ken Kutaragi) is not in that job anymore and plus the high price doesn't help. In the X BOX I see a OK console that will probably last unti 2011 but will make lots of profit. In the Wii I actually see a bad future belive it or not, I think there sales will start to decline in 2009 because it won't be 'cool' anymore

In that case, whether ANY of them can be called next-gen is "debatable". What have they done? Improved the way our games LOOK? Oh, great, fantastic, I'm playing the same damn game, only it LOOKS a little more life-like. WOWEE! Nintendo took a different step and improved the way we PLAY. So yes, they ARE next-gen. Nintendo has ALWAYS been next-gen, for they've always had the best innovations. Rumble, the analog, motion-sensing, THE f***IN' D-PAD FOR CHRIST'S SAKE IS TRADEMARKED BY NINTENDO!

I'm sorry, but I hate when the very people who SAVED GAMING AS WE KNOW IT are down-talked for having lower-than-par graphics. Or a slightly weaker processor. f*** you fanboys. Without Nintendo there WOULDN'T BE A PS3 RIGHT NOW. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

[/rant]

I see the PS3 sales slightly lower than that, but raised slightly in late-07, for GTA IV, of course.

Wow, what a Wii fanboy. :bleh:

I think a next generation system deals with not only graphics and physics, but also new features that weren’t on prior systems. Nintendo definitely showed that they could step it up with the motion censored controllers that they have for the Wii, but that’s pretty much all they have. The 360 has improved graphics and physics along with online play. The PS3 has improved graphics, physics and is going to have PlayStation Home, which is a lot better than the 360’s crappy arcade and retarded looking game cards. I don’t know whether or not the Wii has online play and whether or not it’s good if it does have online play, but seeing as the next generation is basically about online play, I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Now grant it online play has been around for a while now, but hasn’t ever been this good.

At the end of the day, it's up to you what console you want to buy. I won't argue about the graph or people's fanboism, just make the right choice for you. If the game you want is released on your console and you're happy with the games to be released for your chosen console in the future, surely it doesn't matter about the other consoles? That's how I see it.