Guns don’t kill people, Bill Gates does...

Jared

Doesn't take long after Rockstar Games and Take2 take a restraining order out for Jack Thompson to find someone else to to blame for the massacre the other day at Virginia Tech, Microsoft seems to be his new target. They may not even own, nor condone Counter Strike, but it is the target here....Waaaiiiiittt one minute, isn't Counter Strike owned by Valve? Well yes, but I did some research myself and found this...Counter Strike is the work of both publishers, Valve and Microsoft (to be exact, Microsoft Game Studios, mainly for the Xbox conversion). So why go after Microsoft and not Valve? Well, which is bigger? Which has more to loose? Microsoft. Jack Thompson is only out for one thing, and it's not to stop video games or video game violence, it's to get his name out there. He just wants people to know him, thats obvious, why else take on the big companies then to get in the newspaper or on television, right? So apparently, as the story goes, Cho Seung-Hui enjoyed playing this game, of course that makes it all Microsoft's fault doesn't it? I mean, they made the game. It was rated Teen 13+ and bought by more the likely 250 million + people, and now that one of those 250 million people goes on a massacre it's automatically the cause of the game, and not just the way the person was? Forgive me if I am wrong, but how does one out of two hundred and fifty thousand prove the games the cause of it?

A copy of the fax (letter) is included below;

Bill Gates

Microsoft

1 Microsoft Way

Redmond, WA 98052 Via Fax and e-mail

Dear Mr. Gates:

On Monday, April 16, at 3:10 pm, I was a guest, as I often have been in the past, on the Fox News Channel. News anchor Bill Hemmer asked me to profile the Virginia Tech rampage killer. I did so, noting that until that day the worst school massacre in world history was at the hands of Robert Steinhaeuser, who literally trained on the Microsoft on-line, hyper-violent shooter game, Counterstrike. I mentioned your company’s game by name. I explained that the rehearsal for such a massacre is key to being able to pull it off, as efficiently as Cho, whose name we didn’t even know at the time. Cho and Steinhaeuser were able to do what they did the first time because it was not the first time. This is why the military uses this same virtual reality simulation to train soldiers to want to kill and how to kill calmly, as the witnesses of Cho said he did.

Sure enough, last night I was doing a west coast radio interview when the host said to me, "Mr. Thompson, you are right. The Washington Post is reporting right now the following:

‘Several Korean youths who knew Cho Seung Hui from his high school days said he was a fan of violent video games, particularly Counterstrike, a hugely popular online game published by Microsoft, in which players join terrorism or counterterrorism groups and try to shoot each other using all types of guns.’"

I thus went back on the Fox News Channel, and Bill Hemmer and I explained not only that I was right about your game figuring in the Virginia Tech massacre but also that the Washington Post excised the above excerpt from the story this morning. That is yet another story. The bad news for the Post however is that you can still get the excised excerpt at http://www.washingtonpost.com/...AR2007041...ml?hpid=topnews. Thus, the cat is out of the bag, and his paw prints are still on the bag. Is this a great Internet, or what?

As you know, I similalry [sic] went on NBC’s Today Show with the DC Beltway Sniper still unidentified and at-large a few years ago and told Matt Lauer and the nation that the triggerman would most likely be a teen video gamer trained on a sniper video game. The tarot card was a clue, but there were other clues. I was right, as Malvo trained on your Microsoft game, Halo. NBC reported that three months later, and it was part of the criminal trial of Malvo.

Mr. Gates, your company is potentially legally liable the harm done at Virginia Tech. Your game, a killing simulator, according to the news that used to be in the Post, trained him to enjoy killing and how to kill. You knew five years ago that your on-line game, Counterstrike, so clearly figured in the massacre by a student in Erfurt that the event and the game impacted the race for Chancellor in Germany at the time!

Yet, here you are, five years after "Erfurt," still marketing Counterstrike. having done nothing to disable the server(s) for this mass murder simulator, and it looks like "Virginia Tech" is a consequence. There’s more going on in the world than Vista. Just ask the bereaved Virginia Tech families.

Mr. Gates, pull the plug on Counterstrike today, or do we need more dead to convince you? "Virginia Tech" was the 9-11 of school shootings, and it appears Microsoft is in the middle of it, in more ways than one.

Regards, Jack Thompson

Fax (letter) thanks to...

So wait, Microsoft is in the middle of the Virgina Tech shootings because they helped publish a video game that the murderer played? Anyone else miss the point where Microsoft actually contributed to what this student did?

Oooooh, I see. He was mentally instable BECAUSE of Counterstrike, right? OKAY! He didn't want to go to therapy and help programs because he was too busy on Counterstrike, perfectly planning out his attack((y'know, cause CS is SOOO realistic and such. :rolleyes: )). And he was getting picked on just because he played CS, so it's all his fault. BUT WAIT! Microsoft made the game! It's no longer Cho's fault! It's not his peer's fault. It's not the school's fault. It isn't AMERICA'S BLATANT ASSHOLE LIFESTYLE AND IGNORANT WAYS FAULT! It's Microsoft's. PERFECT! ATTACK THEM!

f***ing asshole.

So, he's basically saying Counterstrike, a popular videogame played by millions of people, is responsible for the Virginia Tech shooting? Fu*k off, he's full of shit. Just because he played that game doesn't mean it inspired him to kill all those people. He had clearly planned this for a while.

• 2 weeks later...