Hardware Limitations and GTAIV

Chris

A number of large gaming websites have been reporting on an interesting quote from Dan Houser, creative Vice President of Rockstar Games, in the latest issue of Official PlayStation magazine. The question posed to Dan regards the limitations of the Xbox 360, with it only being capable of playing games on DVD format, and the fact the "Core" system lacks a hard drive - 6GB of an Xbox 360 hard drive is reserved for system use and game features, such as in-game caching to speed up load times.

Dan not only confirmed that the Xbox 360 does limit what they can do with the game, but also suggested that the PS3 also has a few limitations of its own.

On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?

"Yep. To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet. Both of them have enormous challenges. Again, that's been an advantage having the guys at San Diego who are freakishly clever and full-time dedicated to us, but we're not there with either yet. There are problems on both. We'll get there with both, but both have their own particular pleasures and pains."

You can definitely count on Rockstar doing a great job with the game for both platforms, but which version, if any, will end up being a "better" buy? This question is probably only relevant if either you own both consoles, or if you don't own any and are still deciding which one to buy. The Xbox 360 seems to have greater limitations without it having a guaranteed hard drive, and the fact it uses standard DVD's, but then again, it also has exclusive content confirmed for it, while the PS3 version doesn't.

It's not clear what the specific limitations are for the PS3 version, but hopefully whatever they are they will be sorted out before October, the same goes for the 360 version. We'll update you when we get further information on the differences between both versions of the game.

That's interesting. They are making a game but actually don't even know how they are going to get the game able to be played. Also it needs more space so it will be bigger then any other game for the 360 untill now.

They possibly could give 2 DVD's for the 360 but that wouldn't support the no loading stuff.

That's interesting. They are making a game but actually don't even know how they are going to get the game able to be played. Also it needs more space so it will be bigger then any other game for the 360 untill now.

They possibly could give 2 DVD's for the 360 but that wouldn't support the no loading stuff.

They didn't say it wouldn't fit on a DVD.... They said there are limitations on both systems, they never said what any of the limitations were.

stop being so picky spaz. people are just saying opinions and you have to correct them for things that arent really needed? whatever.

I wanna learn what the problem is with ps3.

People are acting as if he specifically stated what the problems were with each console.

Every PC bought withing the last 6 months should do. And of course the good pc's before that time.

No, not true. Not true at ALL. My mom bought a PC a month or so back. It came with Vista. And only 512MB of RAM. That's barely enough to push Vista. But yesterday we stuck another gig of RAM in there. Still f***ing running slow.

I don't think they will, they'll focus on both equally. I think they might struggle to get everything to run smoothly on the Xbox 360, seeing as it's been out for about 2 years, and similar issues with the PS3 - new hardware, so might be difficult to get to grips with, but I'm sure it will all work out fine.

This is a surprise to me, I mean these consoles are next-gen but still GTA 4 has problems with them...but as R* said, the guys at R* San Diego are clever...so maybe they will solve this problem in time and R* wont delay the game...

No, not true. Not true at ALL. My mom bought a PC a month or so back. It came with Vista. And only 512MB of RAM. That's barely enough to push Vista. But yesterday we stuck another gig of RAM in there. Still f***ing running slow.

Exept for budget PC's every PC of the last 6 months should be able to get any game running.

What CPU does it have?

You can't get PC's with less then 1 gig of memory here (with exeption of the under 400 EUR ones and a few laptops). Usually they do lack a good graphic card (so just a on-board one from intel or nVidia.)

In my honest opinion, I think if your going to buy a laptop/computer, then you should get 2 gig of ram. I have a really old computer which almost has 1gb of ram and runs off windows XP. Still goes slow, my brother bought it a new graphics card a while ago, so it can play most new games on low quality. And it has about 100gb of disk space. Hoping to buy a macbook though :)

Edit: Sorry I went a bit off-topic, won't happen again.

Edited by Mpilk

how do you have almost a gig of ram? its either a gig or 512.

Who would buy a mac for gaming... that would be one really stupid decision.

And why do people still want this game for Wii, ive been looking at other forums and i saw that alot of people still want it for wii. i just dont get it.

how do you have almost a gig of ram? its either a gig or 512.

Who would buy a mac for gaming... that would be one really stupid decision.

And why do people still want this game for Wii, ive been looking at other forums and i saw that alot of people still want it for wii. i just dont get it.

Um, no? Since I have on-board video, it has to share memory with my RAM, which puts my RAM a bit LOWER than 2GBs. Also, there are 256 sticks, 128 sticks, and 64 sticks. I THINK you could probably find 32 sticks, also.

And some people, like myself, want GTA on Wii. Not GTA IV..... Just GTA.

yeah but two ram cards have to be mirrored or the higher memory one wont work. And i think hes talking about the physical memory, not the actual working memory. (ex. Has two 512 RAM sticks physically IN his computer)

Higher cards will lower in terms of SPEED, but not MEMORY...... You can put a 512 and a 256 together and have 768 MB of RAM.

This is a surprise to me, I mean these consoles are next-gen but still GTA 4 has problems with them...but as R* said, the guys at R* San Diego are clever...so maybe they will solve this problem in time and R* wont delay the game...

There will probably be a delay in the game, this is probably a little message to say that we won't be able to deliver on time.