TGTAP Downloads Database v1.0

Chris

It's all well and good saying that but the fact is 70% of all visitors are using Internet Explorer 6 since it comes with Windows XP. And unless we want to turn 70% of our visitors away from the site, we need to have the site work on all browsers.

Is that "the fact"? Do you have the stats to prove that? Do you mean for tgtap or for the entire Internet?

The entire internet, if you look over any websites statistics on visitors it would be the same if not similar. I'm going from what I now and what I have read in reports before, and if you look at it the proof is there. Either way, we will be making it work for all browsers, we would be committing fan site suicide if we didn't. I'm sure Chris would agree that it is important we do.

Let's not turn this into a browser war, there's probably already one in the computer chat forum if that's what you want. I WILL sort out the problem, obviously. It's not my top priority right now though.

However, for the time being, if YOU are using the downloads beta and prefer to use IE as your browser, please do consider upgrading to IE7 if you're using anything less that that.

Some sites like to display "Optimised for Mozilla Firefox" images, or another browser - this is a result of VERY poor web design skills, if you're a web designer you should ensure your sites work in ALL browsers, not just one, you should never force people into using something they don't want. Encourage and discourage all you like, just don't force.

Myself being a web designer I do my best to ensure The GTA Place is compatible in as many browsers as possible. I own Mac, Windows and Linux machines and so can personally test a lot myself. However, being security concious, I usually always use the latest versions, which is why I need people like you, who aren't necessarily using latest versions to help beta test. You have already helped me by notifying me of a bug in IE6 and below. If I didn't get you guys to test it, I would never have found it.

Browsers I personally test are the following:

Windows:

Firefox 2

Opera 9.2

IE 7

Netscape 8.1

Mac

Firefox 2

Opera 9.2

Safari 2

Camino 1.5

Yeah it's not operating systems that cause problems it's the browsers themselves, currently IE6 and versions below that are the only ones not working. Vista comes with IE7 so everything will work fine ;)

I doubt there's any threads here about Linux, or indeed Mac for that matter. You see since everyone here is for GTA, almost every single one of us are Windows users (for playing GTA on our PC's with mods etc.)

I personally have a Mac as well as a Windows PC though, and have tried a couple of Linux distros in the past. Look in the computer & tech forum, there's probably nothing there but you could always start a topic about it, if I'm not being lazy/busy I may reply myself ;)

Noticed that I said I never had probs with it. And I've got no idea how someone else can get, you just need a little protection.

And duh MS wants you to upgrade. You wouldn't want to still use hardware of 5 years ago or Windows 95 now would you?

@Chris: You could say that users who have difficulty with the download system for whatever reason should upgrade to IE7 (+link).

Really? No problems?

ietoolbarhellil2.jpg

Problem.

iedatabaseot5.jpg

Problem.

The only people who don't like Firefox are:

1)Poor and don't have the money to get a decent amount of ram (at least 512mb) that you should have anyway

OR

2)Are retarded

Your the f***ing retard for adding all those toolbars you tool.

they suprisingly don't make it go any faster despite what my brother belives clicking in vein to try and win those stupid ad games trying to make the page load faster.

firefox is for diks with 1 finger and 1 thumb.

try using just the google one it has a translater and everything i need all in 1.

they suprisingly don't make it go any faster despite what my brother belives clicking in vein to try and win those stupid ad games trying to make the page load faster.

try using just the google one it has a translater and everything i need all in 1.

You are seriously acting like a Idiot right now, because not that I'm the only one using Firefox here, almost half of the members on the forum are using it too, Including the admin as well. It's much more securer than IE6, and has some add-ons. So really I think you have to get Firefox since you can't even spell.

Other than that, Nice work on the front page Chris. It's starting to look good. :thumbsup:

Edited by Tommy Montana

Nice troll, idiot. That image is simply an example as to how your browser will get if you click Yes on all the popups etc. for installing toolbars from generally malicious websites. And toolbars make your browser go slower not faster, that's obvious, anything you add to a browser will slow it down - it is not in the least bit surprising. Also, Google make the google toolbar for IE and Firefox, so in fact your whole trolling rant is rendered obsolete. GTFO this topic.

Next person to make browser war references in this topic gets perma b&. The only browser comments I want are those reporting bugs (such as the fuck up in IE6).

Other than that thanks for the comments.

@killa: not sure what your problem was but it's all working fine on all browsers I've tested.

Today I did a very small update, and that is that the system now recognises when you are logged in, and so you don't have flood control on searches any more - only guests (if not logged in) are subject to flood control which is currently once every 30 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update today. You can now rate files from directly on the file page (this functionality will be improved but it works fine for now).

I've also moved the system out of the beta directory now that all the basic functionality is there (all that's really left to go is the administration and user pages), and it's all had enough testing from you guys now.

So, http://www.thegtaplace.com/downloads/