Rockstar Games announces Grand Theft Auto IV Special Edition

Chris

Rockstar have just announced through a press release that a "special edition" of Grand Theft Auto IV will be made available for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. The special edition includes a little more than you normally get with "special edition" versions of popular games, details below from the press release.

The Grand Theft Auto IV Special Edition will be presented in a customized Grand Theft Auto metal safety deposit box. The box will contain:
  • Grand Theft Auto IV on the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system or the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, both with special packaging
  • The Grand Theft Auto IV Art Book, featuring never-before-seen production artwork from Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Selected soundtrack CD from Grand Theft Auto IV, featuring new material from top artists, only available on this release
  • An exclusive Rockstar keychain for the safety deposit box keys
  • Completing the collection is a limited edition Rockstar duffel bag

This special edition will set you back $89.99 (RRP) in the USA, prices for other regions have not yet been confirmed.

Link: Take 2 Press Release

Tip to those of you who think it's a bit expensive, look online. In many countries, online retailers can afford to knock down the RRP a fair bit so you can save a bit of money by ordering online.

In the UK, the RRP of 360 and PS3 games is £49.99, however, you won't find many online retailers selling as this price, most have at least £5, usually £10 off. In fact, most special editions can be bought for £49.99, where their RRP is usually somewhere around £59.99.

rofl...hihihi...

I'll spend like 5 euros on it and enjoy it full time. :P

There aren't legal shops in my town.Really!

And if there are they sell some old games,not a single new game!

Well,there are legal shops in surrounding towns but who would bother traveling only to spend money?!

Interesting, San Andreas had a special edition released in 2005 ( due to the Hot Cofee scandal ) which had a bonus movie ( 20 minutes ) ... But looks like this time it will be different, and bonus items are a good thing... I ain`t gonna rush to buy the special edition... Anyways there is more than 1 year `till I might be able to play GTA 4, and I won`t buy the special version that`s for sure...

I'm deffinetly getting the special edition...I'm just wondering if I have to go back to the store I pre-ordered it at to let them know I want the special edition...

Since they are technically two different products I'm rather certain you'd want to do that.

If I have the money and a PS3 or 360 by that time I'll get it.

Will it actually have stuff like extra missions and all that.

I think the downloadable content will be where extra missions will take place but that's if they do get extra missions.....imo.

But that raises question for me, if I have normal version with all downloadable content and then buy special edition will I need to re-buy the downloadable content for the special edition? I hope not.....

Will it actually have stuff like extra missions and all that.

I think the downloadable content will be where extra missions will take place but that's if they do get extra missions.....imo.

But that raises question for me, if I have normal version with all downloadable content and then buy special edition will I need to re-buy the downloadable content for the special edition? I hope not.....

The game is going to be the same. You'd just get more stuff with the game if you get the "Special Edition" along with a special casing for the game.

Yeah no extra stuff in the game but a lot of (nice) extra physical stuff. I'm definitely gonna get the Special Edition of this when it comes out.

@Nate: Yeah OGTAM kinda answered it already. Since the game is still the same, the memory and saved file will be the same too so yeah you'll still have all of your precious exclusive content don't worry.

Yeah no extra stuff in the game but a lot of (nice) extra physical stuff. I'm definitely gonna get the Special Edition of this when it comes out.

@Nate: Yeah OGTAM kinda answered it already. Since the game is still the same, the memory and saved file will be the same too so yeah you'll still have all of your precious exclusive content don't worry.

I sure hope so.

Plus the stuff is saved on your Xbox or PS3 account anyways. Wow I just realized I am really gonna need to save up for this fall because after I get a 360 I'm obviously getting GTA IV and Halo 3, special editions of both. The IV one will probably cost around $120 here (in Canada) after taxes and the Halo 3 "Legendary Edition" (there's one more before this one but doesn't have as much stuff) which costs $129.99 in the states so in Canada it would end up around $170-180 which would end up costing around $300! Wow, I could buy a Wii with that money. :o I wonder where I'll get $300 from, probably birthday money over the summer *hint hint*. Jokes :P

Damn, I want all those best additions and regular additions for IV and like you said Halo 3 etc. etc.....scary kinda. First buy the console, then get both versions or whatever, and then downloadable content. And trying to do this in a few months :/ Well, if worst comes to worst I'll make a Runescape account, make millions of dollars and then make it come out to real money and have a couple hundred dollars...