Police respect

Police respect  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a police respect system as described below in GTAIV?

• Yes
    • No

I've always liked the idea of "gang respect", basically the type that we saw in GTA 2. The more missions you did for one gang, the more respect you'd have from them. The more of one gang you'd kill, you'd win favour with the other gangs until eventually the gang you're pissing off tries to kill you.

However, I'd like to also see this concept added to the police.

So for example, do you remember in GTA3 and VC when you can chase down muggers and in VC you'd get a small reward? I'd like to see GTAIV have a system whereby the more you help the police, they will have a greater respect for you. The more you annoy them, the more they'll come after you. Here's an idea of the scoring, lets say it ranges from -100 to 100, where -100 is they will pull out all resources to kill you, 0 is they don't know you at all, and 100 is they love you and will never arrest you.

Stop a mugger: +2

Help stop a car in a police chase: +8

Stop a terrorist: +15

Assault a random guy: -1

Kill a random guy: -10

Kill a cop: -50

You can also do missions for the police in a sort of corrupt-vigilante way.

Basically, if you're good, the cops won't be as likely to arrest you for a crime. It would probably eliminate the wanted star system, or affect how long it takes to not be wanted, so if you've got a police respect of +30, they might "forget" about a two or three star wanted level after a few ingame-hours.

The idea of terrorists is that it works in the same way as muggers like in GTA3 - except hopefully with more than just 2 models. If you see a dodgey looking-guy on the streets of new york, and say he starts opening his jacket (because he has a belt-bomb) you can shoot him and win respect from police, or someone planting a bomb somewhere for example.

I'd like you know what you all think, so I included a poll.

Sounds pretty cool but I don't want it to be perfect like they'll never arrest you. The rest sounds great though man, some good ideas, hopefully R* will include something like it. But yeah I like the idea of not getting arrested for 2 or 3 stars but I'd mess up my perfect 100 police respect when I go on a killing frenzy. :P

Yeah, but like I do when I use cheats I just never save ;) .

Yeah most of the time me neither, but when I actually survive I do. :)

Yea that sounds great, and if you have like -200 you could go to the nearest police station and bribe the officer and you be at 0 again...

That would be pretty cool, but if you had -200 they'd probably kill you before you took another step into Police Station seeing how much they would hate you :P Jokes, yeah that'd be pretty awesome.

Yeah a little mini-game could be used for that like in Scarface for selling cocaine. There would be a bar and you'd press a button, it would fill up quickly and you have to stop it closest to the top as possible for more money and maybe something like this could be used in GTA IV? But yeah like Nate said R* made the police A.I. much smarter so I don't know... Still a great idea though.

i actually like the idea, it's creative and interesting

but i doubt that it'll be in any next GTA, it's a little unrealistic. <_<

i mean c'mon, stop a mugger? there's no criminal in the world would ever do that.

and in vice city, if we stop a criminal, we lose a rating! how is a criminal in their right mind would do such a thing, helping the police???

and how can a cop trust & respect criminals(main char)??? except the corrupted ones, but i just don't think that this'll happen, besides, R* already have a cop feature, and they said it'll be harder to mess with 'em

i don't know about you, but i sure love a difficult, good A.I, pain in the a** son of a bit** cop to chase me in GTA

i voted no, i'd rather have an improved vigilante feature, than cop respect

Edited by ArtSweet

i just don't think that this feature is really that neccesary, i mean, this will make it a whole lot easier.

well how about we make it harder, for example:

when you get out of jail, the time will advance 24 hours, and sometimes, we have to break out from a local jail when the cops didn't listen to our "reason"

you know, not all cops are crooked, maybe this will be cool ^_^

and when you get out, with no weapons, you can go back to the reception to return them without bullets

oh, and when you're driving your own car (not stolen) and you get busted, you can go to the impound and pay them back

how's that? ;)

I've always liked the idea of "gang respect", basically the type that we saw in GTA 2. The more missions you did for one gang, the more respect you'd have from them. The more of one gang you'd kill, you'd win favour with the other gangs until eventually the gang you're pissing off tries to kill you.

However, I'd like to also see this concept added to the police.

So for example, do you remember in GTA3 and VC when you can chase down muggers and in VC you'd get a small reward? I'd like to see GTAIV have a system whereby the more you help the police, they will have a greater respect for you. The more you annoy them, the more they'll come after you. Here's an idea of the scoring, lets say it ranges from -100 to 100, where -100 is they will pull out all resources to kill you, 0 is they don't know you at all, and 100 is they love you and will never arrest you.

Stop a mugger: +2

Help stop a car in a police chase: +8

Stop a terrorist: +15

Assault a random guy: -1

Kill a random guy: -10

Kill a cop: -50

You can also do missions for the police in a sort of corrupt-vigilante way.

Basically, if you're good, the cops won't be as likely to arrest you for a crime. It would probably eliminate the wanted star system, or affect how long it takes to not be wanted, so if you've got a police respect of +30, they might "forget" about a two or three star wanted level after a few ingame-hours.

The idea of terrorists is that it works in the same way as muggers like in GTA3 - except hopefully with more than just 2 models. If you see a dodgey looking-guy on the streets of new york, and say he starts opening his jacket (because he has a belt-bomb) you can shoot him and win respect from police, or someone planting a bomb somewhere for example.

I'd like you know what you all think, so I included a poll.

Ya id like that its so much like True Crime:NYC

i just don't think that this feature is really that neccesary, i mean, this will make it a whole lot easier.

well how about we make it harder, for example:

when you get out of jail, the time will advance 24 hours, and sometimes, we have to break out from a local jail when the cops didn't listen to our "reason"

you know, not all cops are crooked, maybe this will be cool ^_^

and when you get out, with no weapons, you can go back to the reception to return them without bullets

oh, and when you're driving your own car (not stolen) and you get busted, you can go to the impound and pay them back

how's that? ;)

That would be cool too

Thanks for all the positive feedback :D

One thing though, it really wouldn't be as easy as you think. Stopping a mugger for example isn't the same as killing him, if you killed him you might make it worse than if you'd just knocked him out. But really, when you're playing GTA, you come across opportunities to kill a lot more than opportunities to help the cops, it'd be difficult to keep your rating high, and probably near impossible to keep it at 100. The only way to keep it very high, would be to basically play it as a cop-game, but the storyline, and the way we all like to play, is going to make that extremely difficult. It's just one part of the game that annoys me, when you kill a mugger and the cops come after you, for example (obviously because you couldn't knock someone out in previous GTAs), to me it's a way of improving the AI, with a very simple method that doesn't require ridiculously intelligent cops.

Oh and thegtaguy please don't double post just edit you first one and add in what else you wanted to say.

I will but i had to because I dont know how to quote 2 posts.

Edit: Sorry about the double posting my computer froze and I didnt know if It worked. Also I was logged out when it unfroze and brought to the front page.

Edited by thegtaguy