The Flag Of Your Country

Gycu

ro-lgflag.gif

The Romanian Flag

Red - the blood spilled by our ancestors while defending this country from enemies

Yellow - the grain/grane/corn etc. galore

Blue - the beautiful water from this country ( Black Sea and Danube )

Sorry if I put this topic in the wrong section ... If so please move it where it belongs ...

I guess I have two flags because I was born in America and I live in Canada.....

American-Flag--C12006370.jpeg

50 stars=50 states, 13 stripes =13 colonies. To go into more historic detail:

-On June 14, 1777, in order to establish an official flag for the new nation, the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act: "Resolved, That the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation."

-Act of January 13, 1794 - provided for 15 stripes and 15 stars after May 1795.

-Act of April 4, 1818 - provided for 13 stripes and one star for each state, to be added to the flag on the 4th of July following the admission of each new state, signed by President Monroe.

-Executive Order of President Taft dated June 24, 1912 - established proportions of the flag and provided for arrangement of the stars in six horizontal rows of eight each, a single point of each star to be upward.

-Executive Order of President Eisenhower dated January 3, 1959 - provided for the arrangement of the stars in seven rows of seven stars each, staggered horizontally and vertically.

-Executive Order of President Eisenhower dated August 21, 1959 - provided for the arrangement of the stars in nine rows of stars staggered horizon tally and eleven rows of stars staggered vertically.

ca.gif

Red and white are Canada's nationl colours and the maple leaf is the countries symbol based on many things throughout history:

-In 1834, Ludger Duvernay is reported to have proposed the maple leaf as an emblem of Canada when the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste was founded on June 24 of that year.

-In 1836, Le Canadien, a newspaper published in Lower Canada, referred to it as a suitable emblem for Canada.

-In August 1860, at a public meeting held in Toronto, the maple leaf was adopted as the national emblem of Canada for use in the decorations for the Prince of Wales' visit.

-In 1867, Alexander Muir, a Toronto schoolmaster and poet, composed the song The Maple Leaf Forever.

-In 1914, many Canadian soldiers wore the maple leaf on their military badges, and it was the dominant symbol used by many Canadian regiments serving in the Great War (World War I).

-In 1939, at the beginning of World War II, numerous Canadian troops once again used the maple leaf as a distinctive emblem, displaying it on regimental badges and Canadian army and naval equipment.

83.gif

250px-Flag_of_India.svg.png

Some Note:

A few days before India became independent on August 1947, the specially constituted Constituent Assembly decided that the flag of India must be acceptable to all parties and communities.[1] A flag with three colours, Saffron, White and Green with the the Ashoka Chakra was selected. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, who later became India's first Vice President, clarified that the adopted flag and described its significance as follows:

"Bhagwa or the saffron colour denotes renunciation or disinterestedness. Our leaders must be indifferent to material gains and dedicate themselves to their work. The white in the centre is light, the path of truth to guide our conduct. The green shows our relation to (the) soil, our relation to the plant life here, on which all other life depends. The "Ashoka Chakra" in the centre of the white is the wheel of the law of dharma. Truth or satya, dharma or virtue ought to be the controlling principle of those who work under this flag. Again, the wheel denotes motion. There is death in stagnation. There is life in movement. India should no more resist change, it must move and go forward. The wheel represents the dynamism of a peaceful change."[3]

A widely held unofficial interpretation is that the saffron stands for purity and spirituality, white for peace and truth, green for fertility and prosperity and the wheel for justice.

Dunno what's my country..

The majority of my live I've been in the Netherlands, yet I'm born in England and have 2 passports each giving me another nationality...

So all I know about the English Flag is that the red cross is that it was used in the middle ages during those Crusades. And then they combined some different things with it to get it the way it's now..

I don't have a clue about the Dutch flag. Mainly cause I'm not interested and have never really seen it as 'my' countryl

South Africa

250px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

I don't know what the design means or what the colours symbolizes, but here's what Wikipedia says:

The current flag of the Republic of South Africa was adopted on April 27, 1994, after the first free elections and the end of apartheid. A new national flag was adopted to represent the new democratic government of South Africa that represented all South Africans.

None of the flag designs submitted by the public was supported by the committee charged to select the final design. An interim flag was designed by State Herald Frederick G. Brownell for the April 27 elections, the nation's first fully inclusive elections, and for Nelson Mandela's May 10 inauguration. The flag was so well received that the interim version was made the final, national flag in the South African Constitution. Given the troubled historical context, it is remarkable that a consensual replacement for the former national flags was found. The new flag is seen as an enduring symbol of the modern South African state.

With only a few replies to my topic and I`ve already learned some new things about flags, especially from the US flag, I didn`t knew the 13 stripes symbolize the 13th colonies ...

Edited by Gycu

UnionJack.bmp

In my own words...

The union flag or union jack (could be either) was originally made up in of the English red cross [+] of St George (on white) (which also represented Wales) and the white Scottish saltire [X] of St Andrew (on blue). Then Ireland joined the union and the saltire of St Patrick was added on top of St Andrew's saltire, but made thinner to be sure it wasn't taken for Ireland to be superior to Scotland.

See descriptive image

I was born in L.A, but most of my family is from El Salvador: So Here is what the flag is all about.

el_salvador_flag.gif

The flag of El Salvador was officially adopted on May 17, 1912. The blue and white are the original colors used by the United Provinces of Central America after they gained their independence from Spain in 1823. The centered emblem is surrounded by the 5 flags of the those United Provinces.

• 3 weeks later...

prepare your eyes for one of the most easiest flag of all!!! :lol:

indonesian flag

600px-Flag_of_Indonesia.svg.png

it is so easy to draw right?? :P

the red is blood, which means the spirit of our war heroes in WWII so, in other words: bravery

the white is bones which means our bones is like combined and shown in the flag or: the spirit in ourselves

Edited by ArtSweet

Well, Gerard already did one of the entire UK, so I'll just do the country of England itself, as I'm not Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish :)

And BTW, do any vets here remember the time when we could choose a flag to go under our avatar? We had a mod over 3 years ago! and a lot of people used to use it and it was nice to see where everyone was actually posting from (like if someone doesn't have good English and you see they've got a flag you don't recognise you could tell English wasn't their first language and be more understanding, rather than assuming they were a complete and utter n00b). Anyone interested in me adding this mod again?

Here is the cross of St. George:

400px-Flag_of_England.svg.png

I don't actually know anything about it, so here's what Wikipedia says:

The St George's Cross is a red cross on a white background. It is the national flag of England. In the past it was rarely seen flying, but in recent times has experienced an increase in popularity.[citation needed] It is believed to have been adopted for the uniform of English soldiers during the Crusades of the eleventh, twelfth and thirteenth centuries.[citation needed] From about 1277 it became the national flag of England. St George's Cross was originally the flag of Genoa and was adopted by England and the City of London in 1190 for their ships entering the Mediterranean to benefit from the protection of the powerful Genoese fleet. The maritime Republic of Genoa was rising and going to become, together with its rival Venice, one of the most important powers in the world. The English Monarch paid an annual tribute to the Doge of Genoa for this privilege. The cross of St George would become the official Flag of England.

A red cross acted as a symbol for many Crusaders in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. It became associated with St George and England, along with other countries and cities (such as Georgia, Milan and the Republic of Genoa), which claimed him as their patron saint and used his cross as a banner. It remained in national use until 1707, when the Union Flag (also known as the Union Jack, especially at sea) which English and Scottish ships had used at sea since 1606, was adopted for all purposes to unite the whole of Great Britain under a common flag. The flag of England no longer has much of an official role, but it is widely flown by Church of England properties and at sporting events. The Flag of St George has gained popularity in recent years, and is widely seen flown out of houses, or on cars during important sporting tournaments in which England is competing. (Paradoxically, the latter is a fairly recent development; until the late twentieth century, it was commonplace for fans of English teams to wave the Union Flag, rather than the St George's Cross).

AUSSIE_FLAG.jpg

The Australian flag uses three prominent symbols, the Union Flag (also known as the Union Jack), the Commonwealth Star and the Southern Cross. The Union Flag is commonly thought to reflect Australia's history as a collection of British colonies, although a more historic view sees its inclusion in the design as demonstrating loyalty to the British Empire.The five white stars of the fly of the flag represent the Southern Cross. The Southern Cross (or Crux) is the brightest constellation visible in the Southern Hemisphere and has been used to represent Australia and New Zealand since the early days of British settlement. Each of these stars has seven points except for the smallest star which has only five. Ivor Evans, one of the flag's designers, intended the Southern Cross to refer also to the four moral virtues ascribed to the four main stars by Dante: justice, prudence, temperance and fortitude. The large seven-pointed star below the Union Flag is the Commonwealth or Federation Star which represents the federation of the colonies of Australia on 1 January 1901. There is one point for each of the six original states, and one which now represents all of the Commonwealth's internal and external territories.

I thought the US flag now has 52 stars.:)

Republic of the Philippines Flag

philippinesflagscl2.th.gif

Blue = For Peace. Filipinos are a peace-loving people, and during peace time, this color is at the top of the flag.

Red = For Courage and Bravery. During the war, and in time of war, the red color would be at the top of the flag instead of the Blue.

White Triangle = Stability

Sun = Hope

Eight Rays = 8 provinces that led the major revolts against the Spaniards during the colonial times.

Three Stars = Three major islands that comprise the country.

• 1 month later...

pakistan-flag.jpg

Well m a Pakistani N here is the Flag of my Country which was designed by Syed Amir-ud-Din Kedwai based on the 1906 flag of the All-India Muslim League. It was adopted on August 11, 1947, three days before independence of the country. The flag is commonly known as Sabz Hilali Parcham (lit. Green Flag with the Crescent) and Parcham-e-Sitara aw Hilal (lit. The Flag of the Crescent and Star).

The flag comprises a dark green field (representing Muslim majority of the country) with a vertical white stripe in the hoist (left side) (representing non-Muslim minorities). In the centre, there is a white crescent symbolizing progress, and a white five-pointed star (light and knowledge).

Baron

Edited by Baron

I bet no one will ever believe me here but I was born in Kazakhstan. Before no one knew about it, after Borat no one believes me. But I swear to God I was born there. I got some other cultures in me too like Ukranian and stuff. But I'll only put the glorious nation of Kazakhstan! :P

800px-flag_of_kazakhstansvgtyp_th.png

The pattern represents the art and cultural traditions of the old khanate and the Kazakh people. The light blue background stands for the various Turkic peoples that make up the present-day population of the country, including the Tatars, Mongols, Uyghurs and others. Among these peoples blue has a religious significance, representing the sky God Gök-Tanry, "the eternal wide blue sky"; a more modern interpretation is that the sky blue background stands for Kazakhstan's broad skies, and for freedom.

The golden eagle is associated with the empire of Genghis Khan, who ruled Kazakhstan under a blue banner with such an eagle on it; thus, it is a reminder of the proud history of the people who form the modern nation of Kazakhstan. [2]

• 2 weeks later...
I thought the US flag now has 52 stars.:)

Republic of the Philippines Flag

philippinesflagscl2.th.gif

Blue = For Peace. Filipinos are a peace-loving people, and during peace time, this color is at the top of the flag.

Red = For Courage and Bravery. During the war, and in time of war, the red color would be at the top of the flag instead of the Blue.

White Triangle = Stability

Sun = Hope

Eight Rays = 8 provinces that led the major revolts against the Spaniards during the colonial times.

Three Stars = Three major islands that comprise the country.

I'm with you, serge... I also live in the good ol' RP, y'know... :lol: