GTA & Terrorism

7.62mm

I was going to create this in GTA IV topic but I think it goes better here.

I really don't know but do you guys think that GTA is almost the same as terrorism? I mean you kill innocent people.. All of that and like blow stuff up but, do you think GTA is terrorism?

nope. GTA is fictional. And thats where the thick bastards like JT need to realize... morons <_<

As long as you don't do it in real life, then it's not... That's why every time you start GTA there's a note that says "The makers and publishers of this videogame do not promote or encourage any actions depicted in this game" or something like that. Jack Thompson is like overreaching himself; it turns out that he's just slanting games in order to make money and be famous. Am I right?

Maybe if R* made a bigger public service announcement (like an FMV or something like that, with Niko Belic warning gamers to be good citizens in real life), then jingoistic idiots like JT would have less excuses to ruin every gamer's day...

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

No terrorism is making someone scared of there lifes (or something similar), taking lives away from people, and doing it for a selfish cause. the only thing that terrorism has to do with gta is the selfish cause. But for gta its different, its for fun.

This proves that Jack Thompson is a jingoistic idiot who publicly slants games to be famous and to get rich. Now that's real selfishness, and that's bad... Terrorism sucks! But GTA's made as something of a stress reliever, not a "murder simulator"... This game stereotyping thing is really insane...

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

well, GTA is fictional, thats a FACT!

and only the stupidest, craziest and the pshycopaths would ever try that in real life

and terrorism isn't actually selfish, they are doing it for a reason, but they crossed the line which is forbidden by the highest law

reason example: declaring war, protecting religion, make someone else go to war, etc

GTA killing people(virtual one) for fun dude! it's actually setting a bad example but as long as we think clear, it is FINE! :yup:

so, GTA is different from terrorism.

This is history repeating itself, in '69 Charles Manson & "friends" committed the Labianca/Tate murders (not sure of the spelling). Their motive, the Beatles told them to. The real reason, Manson is (life in prison, just missed the death penalty)

Insane & has no concept of right & wrong. Now someone pops up & says video games are causing terrorism. ????

How many of the 9/11 terrorists even owned a Playstation before they came to the US to kill people?

I think EGM (July '07) hits this topic, I'll read it & get back.

7.62 - I know I'm just another new guy, but good topic. This is the kind of stuff we should keep track of.

Thanks outlaw. :)

What I really meant I dont think I got this clear, like, Grand Theft Auto the game, is it based on terrorism? Not comparing to real life, like stealing cars, killing innocent people, is that basically terrorism in a game? Oh and you can compare it to real life too since we all ready brang that up. But ye thanks outlaw. Buddy :)

There is a difference between killing real people and killing virtual people ...

And I don`t think GTA is really a killing simulator ( as Jack T. said )

Oh no, my life is a lot like GTA.

Every day I fly in a jet I stole from a local airport (not that I know how to fly or anything) to the nearest city and walk into a gun shop to buy the biggest beast I can (I live in the UK). Then I walk down the street getting into any car I fancy (nobody tries to stop me) then I drive at top speed (which is a lot) down the wrong side of the road running over any amount of people that happen to be on the pavement (sidewalk) I drive across when I can't be arsed to follow the road.

Playing GTA is really useful for me to practice killing people in real life, because everybody knows that all real murders involve dozens of people being run over on the pavement by a passing hijacked sports car, or stolen military helicopters ploughing into a crowd of people, or some guy walking down the street with a minigun he found in the cupboard back at his house.

There is a difference between killing real people and killing virtual people ...

Every day I fly in a jet I stole from a local airport (not that I know how to fly or anything) to the nearest city and walk into a gun shop to buy the biggest beast I can (I live in the UK). Then I walk down the street getting into any car I fancy (nobody tries to stop me) then I drive at top speed (which is a lot) down the wrong side of the road running over any amount of people that happen to be on the pavement (sidewalk) I drive across when I can't be arsed to follow the road.

Playing GTA is really useful for me to practice killing people in real life, because everybody knows that all real murders involve dozens of people being run over on the pavement by a passing hijacked sports car, or stolen military helicopters ploughing into a crowd of people, or some guy walking down the street with a minigun he found in the cupboard back at his house.

lol! :lol: Thats a good way of puting GTA.

There is no way GTA is like terrorism. It's based off of street crimes and blown up to epic proportions. Terrorists hijack planes and crash them into skyscrapers if they're aren't bombing shit....wait. Okay, maybe some of GTA may be based off of terrorism, but it's not like it's a 9/11 simulator.

NOTE: Yes, after 4 months of inactivity and self-reflecting, I'm back.

EDIT: Check the mission Stowaway. Bombing a plane. Techinally, it's terrorism (I guess). Luckily, Jack Thompson doesn't pay that much attention to the individual missions of GTA:SA. The gaming community would probably be in shin-deep shit if he found out. Nah, it'd just be like always, nobody caring about what he says.

Edited by WnN2

you forgot to kill the guns salesman!

The only mission I consider like terrorism in the GTA world is in Liberty City Stories when you blow up half of Staunton Island. Granted the point wasn't to kill people (as terrorism is, killing for the sake of killing) but I didn't like that mission. It kind of turned me off to that whole game (which isn't all that good anyway).

GTA 3 Terrorism - there was a removed mission ( Flying the Dodo into Donald Love`s building )

GTA Vice City - When you blow up that building for Avery ...

GTA SA - As Wn32 said that mission in which you bomb a plane ...

And probably even that mission in which you must infiltrate into Area 69 ...

draftermatt - I'll give you that one, blowing up Fort Staunten was a bit much.

I still think "Stowaway" & "Area 69" were more in the Spy vs Spy category.

"Demolition Man" was more industrial sabatouge than terrorism. The goal was eliminating rival business.

DARKAL (the mission strand removed from GTA 3) would have hit while the 9/11 attacks were still fresh in everybody's mind.

I think removing it was a good call at the time.