Reccomended Computers

Highwire

And add it up with a really good security arsenal, like AVG Antivirus, Spybot, HijackThis, etc., since you're hooking up an Internet connection... I prefer XP over Vista, as the latter's something of a resource hog; 512MB RAM onwards, and at least 80GB of hard drive space will do...

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

For GTA up to now my kit is great.

AMD 3000+ Chip w/ 1 gig ram

40 gig boot drive (OS & Drivers, User files)

200 gig data drive (Games, MP3s & backups here)

--- If you can afford the second hard drive, do it. you can a lot of headaches if you have to do a wipe & reload.

DVD r/rw + backup cd r/rw

Soundblaster live (older) + Altec Lansing 5.1 (not in use at the moment, half my speakers disappeared in the last move)

N-vidia 5500 w/356 meg

XP pro, service pack 2 (I think they finally fixed it, installed SP2 a month ago)

AVG free. Download form AVG site, supported w/ regular updates. If you can afford the pay version, it has extras. --- Between this & Windows Defender, I haven't had any thing get in.

All my GTAs fly on this machine & most of the components can be had reasonable (possibly cheap if you have access to used parts).

Godfather, Mafia, Unreal tournament, Lego Star wars & also look & run great. Scarface, not so much...

If you're on a budget, this kit should play most of the current games.

Good Luck

And add it up with a really good security arsenal, like AVG Antivirus, Spybot, HijackThis, etc., since you're hooking up an Internet connection... I prefer XP over Vista, as the latter's something of a resource hog; 512MB RAM onwards, and at least 80GB of hard drive space will do...

HijackThis and AVG fucking suck, stick with Kaspersky and you'll be fine.

For GTA up to now my kit is great.

AMD 3000+ Chip w/ 1 gig ram

40 gig boot drive (OS & Drivers, User files)

200 gig data drive (Games, MP3s & backups here)

--- If you can afford the second hard drive, do it. you can a lot of headaches if you have to do a wipe & reload.

DVD r/rw + backup cd r/rw

Soundblaster live (older) + Altec Lansing 5.1 (not in use at the moment, half my speakers disappeared in the last move)

N-vidia 5500 w/356 meg

XP pro, service pack 2 (I think they finally fixed it, installed SP2 a month ago)

AVG free. Download form AVG site, supported w/ regular updates. If you can afford the pay version, it has extras. --- Between this & Windows Defender, I haven't had any thing get in.

All my GTAs fly on this machine & most of the components can be had reasonable (possibly cheap if you have access to used parts).

Godfather, Mafia, Unreal tournament, Lego Star wars & also look & run great. Scarface, not so much...

If you're on a budget, this kit should play most of the current games.

Good Luck

1)256mb of ram in that 5500

2)You don't want to buy used parts, you don't know about warranty information and there's a chance the parts could burn out. Plus if he's buying a premade one from Dell, they're going to use new parts.

3)And for God sakes stop saying that yours plays current games, I dare you to even try and play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on that machine. It's not even DirectX 9. And Scarface runs shittilly on any PC, it's a shit game with a shit ending, a shit engine, and a shit amount of bugs.

If you've got the money for a good prebuilt machine, that's great. Someone reading this might not, and are on a tight budget. Not knocking the new machines.

And on a new machine, make sure there's room to upgrade, like a better CPU or Video Card down the road. I had an IBM

Aptiva (go ahead, get it out of your system, I hated it too) that used an "All In Wonder" board that had everything onboard

& no slots for better audio or video.

Also the new machines are shipped w/ Windows Vista so you're stuck w/ all the headaches of sorting a new OS.

Honestly just build a computer yourself if you're so determined to have a decent gaming machine, not only will it be just how you want it, you'll also save hundreds of [insert currency here].

@Urbanoutlaw: What settings do the GTA games "fly" with because your PC seems pretty average to be honest. I mean it's good enough, sure, but for them to play that well I'm not so sure.

Screen resolution 1024 x 768 & 32 bit color, everything else is default for my video.

For in game settings (GTASA) the only things I've reset are the controller options, the rest is as it installed.

Have not messed w/ framerates, overclocking or any of that.

By "flies", I mens the video is smooth, loads are quick. The only video glitch I see is the slow render (the occasional tree

you don't see till you hit it), but it's still better than the PS2 version.

Hope this clears things up, if not you know where to find me. B)

HDD is not a problem, it's about one of the cheapest things.

You can get 320 Gig for just 70 EUR and a good 500 should be availible for just 90.

But give a budget and I can try to see what's the best you can get with that.

You don't need a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS and speakers, right? Just the Computer itself.

If you're going to be playing GTA4 you're gonna want to have a nice PC. If you have the money, I suggest an Intel E6600 or better and an nVidia 8-series card plus 2GB of RAM and Windows XP.

That's if you're going to build/buy it right now. But IMO you're better off waiting until we get the GTA4 system requirements.

And even still, you'll want Windows XP. Yes, there is a way to have DirectX 10 on XP.

Yes, there is a way to have DirectX 10 on XP.

Uh, no. People are still trying to figure out how to get it onto XP. They have already been able to do a certain part of it, but not full DX10 yet.

BTW, E6700 has the pricing that the E6600 had last month, so if you don't have a small budget I'd go for that.

If you're thinking in the long term I'd wait to see how the penryn architecture is, though the Conroes are great too. Actually about the best in it's price range ATM.

Wish I was better w/ the technical bits, thought I was running DirectX 10 on mine (XP Pro) but DxDiag says I'm running #9.

Later I'll try updating, I think I had it before my last wipe & reload.

Yeah, hard drives are getting cheap. the 320 is around $100 US (I think) at Sam's club. Beats hell outta the 80 meg I paid $200 for when I upgraded my 286, ran on steam I think.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

Yes, there is a way to have DirectX 10 on XP.

Uh, no. People are still trying to figure out how to get it onto XP. They have already been able to do a certain part of it, but not full DX10 yet.

But the .dlls are still compatible with XP, when we actually get DirectX 10 games being released, wait and see. I guarantee that by GTA4's PC release DirectX will work fully with XP.

And DXDIAG won't report you running DX10 because Windows XP doesn't officially support it.

Figures. Still I'm 95% sure I had it before My machine got sick (F---MEDUDE virus, fubared my profiles & wiped my video drivers). Now that I think of it, I think I had a few weird video issues. A compatibility issue would explain that.

Thanks for the headsup.

BTW, Windows is the single most devastating virus ever inflicted on a computer! But you guys probably knew that

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

I know that site, and it states that it hasn't been able to port everything (yet).

I don't get what everyone has against MS. Exept for them ripping you of with their sky high prices and then you're only alloud to install it for one PC, their software works good. I love XP, it's great. Probably better then Vista.