The Three red lights of xbox 360

#1 canuck fan

is it brand new? cause if it is, i'm afraid that your friend had been ripped off.

mine's still running smooth, and when i take the intercooler off, it still lasted two hours until it's starting to overheat, i can still play though.

your friend's Xbox 360, i think it's an old one :(

your friend should complain this to the shop, where'd he buy that thing? and ask if it can be switched or returned.

can i ask you one question? where are these 3 red lights? are they by any chance, in the ON/OFF button? if it is, i think i know what to do.

Edited by ArtSweet

He Bought from ebgames

and it was was the on off button

ok, i know what it is, my friend had the same problem, the thing is, the lights in the ON/OFF button is to make sure how many xbox 360 stick you plugged in, and to check if the adaptor plugged in right.

tell your friend to check the adaptor cable, if it's not plugged in right, then there will be some power, but not enough to start the Xbox 360, that would explain why are there three lights in the ON/OFF button

if it's not that, well contact the shop

Edited by ArtSweet

ok, i search it up, and as it turns out, all the first edition of the Xbox 360 had this very same problem

i found this image and article in wikipedia:

Xbox360-ringofdeath.jpg

When a Microsoft Xbox 360 console experiences a "general hardware failure", on the front of the console three red lights appear.

It is also shown if the console is not getting enough power to run certain components, the most affected being the fans. Some people have experienced system failure after updating the firmware of their system through Xbox Live or installing the update through a CD.

The Xbox 360 will display a "Screen of Death" if the system experiences a serious error. In such instances the user is prompted to contact Xbox customer support

In the case of certain specific errors, the Xbox 360 system will display a diagnostic pattern of red lighting in place of the standard green "Ring of Light." (when red, it is also known as the "Ring of Death"). These patterns indicate the following:

4 The A/V cable is either not properly connected to the Xbox 360 system, or is not being detected. check cable and connector.

3 Console is experiencing a hardware failure. Contact Xbox customer support

2, left Console is overheating Turn console off, unplug power supply

1, bottom right General hardware failure Contact Xbox customer support

If three red lights are flashing at the same time, a general hardware failure has occurred and the unit needs to be sent to the repair center.

you want more information, look here:

Wikipedia/Xbox 360 technical problems

it looks like your Xbox 360 has the ring of death!!!

i feel sorry for your friend dude...

Edited by ArtSweet

ArtSweet - Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if this is related to the HDD issues in the first X360 models released.

No points to MS (hate them to begin with), Their response of "We got your money & will fix our defective products at our leisure" was no surprise, but I really wanted Saint's Row. At least I held off on getting mine until they supposedly fixed the problem.

I suppose check for recalls if you haven't already.

Loosely related - I heard somewhere the X360 was built around laptop parts, does anyone know for sure?