ATi or nVidia

Chris

You made the right choice Chris.

I'll never forgot the ATI card I bought a couple years back, it was top of the range, expensive as hell, and after a couple months of running it (NOT overclocked) the bastard burnt itself out because they put inadequate heating on the board (well to put it simply, the heatsink broke itself off of the card), totally idiocy and I'll never trust ATI ever again. My laptop uses an ATI but it's always running too hot, NVIDIA and Intel just feel, I dunno, like the safe decent option, and I've never had troubles with them, but always had ATI and AMD troubles.

Well, the card should have a warranty. Plus, how do you know it wasn't the cooling in your case? Did you check your temps regularly. You can't discriminate against an entire company based on one card. I've had two bad nVidia cards. The FX5500 and GeForce 6100. Both cards gave me constant crashes and the drivers sucked. The 8800s are good cards, but IMO they're too expensive for what you get, when you consider the fact that DX10 is worthless until Crysis. Intel? That depends on the processor. Anything with Pentium or Celeron in the title=sucks. Core 2=awesome. Core 2 saved Intel, because for several years, the P4 got owned by the Athlon XP/64.

I've now ordered the RAM too, so now I'm just waiting for the RAM, Graphics card and CPU to arrive, then I can begin building it as I have all the other parts :)

Great! Shame you won't have them all arrive at once, I'd hate to knowingly have access to better components and not be able to use them.

The thing is with Intel, even if they make the most crap CPU, most will still use it.

I'd guess about 60% of the people at school don't even know AMD has anything to do with computers but they all know Intel. They're a bit to big for their own good.

Edit:

@Chris: Maybe you already mentioned it, in that case I'm sorry, but which CPU are you taking?

@Chris: Maybe you already mentioned it, in that case I'm sorry, but which CPU are you taking?

I didn't mention it actually. I went with an Intel® Core 2 Duo E6600, 2.4 GHz, Socket 775, 1066MHz FSB, Conroe Core, 4MB Cache

I already had a 775 motherboard so couldn't get an AMD (had previously decided to stick with Intel rather go to AMD), and I couldn't really afford a faster CPU, so I just stuck with the E6600, which is pretty good IMO. And I heard it is very overclockable, so long as you have some very nice cooling.

Yep, the E6600 is the best you can get around that price range.

Late June they had a big price fall making it much more affordable. They're kinda raping AMD actually..

Here the E6600 is 194 EUR and not all that long ago it was close to the 300.

If I'm not mistaken the E6750 will be released 22 of Juli, but here it's just 6 EUR more expensive, so if you weren't in a rush, it might have been better just waiting a few days.

On the other hand, this is from a incredibly cheap online shop. Vista ultimate OEM is 50 EUR cheaper then all the other shops I could find, and they're also one of the biggest in the Netherlands.

I don't know if the E6750 can be OC'd good though.. BTW, I have a E6600 OC tutorial Vid, if you wish I could give you a link to it.

During Computex 2007 and people at the stands like MSI and stuff (the ones who are making the Mobo's for the Barcelona chip) said that it might be a little disappointing. And not that long after the Barcelona chips of AMD Intel is coming with their Penryn chips.

I might buy same shares at Intel when they're not doing all that great and just before they release something what's supposed to make a come-back.. But maybe I'll just try an other company.. Dunno yet.

GeForce and E6600 arrived today :D

Just waiting for the RAM now which is still out of stock. I could start building my new PC and just temporarily use some RAM from my current PC until it comes I guess... I dunno...

Gonna take pics of all the stuff for all the geeks/enthusiasts out there. They'll be on flickr later today or tomorrow maybe.

Gonna take pics of all the stuff for all the geeks/enthusiasts out there

Cool :)

And don't know what to really expect from those Conroe's. They say that they're really great, but their clock speed isn't all that high.. But it's a totally different architecture compared to the P4.

Guess I'll compare some benchmarks of them later on the day.

@Chris: What's your PSu BTW? I think you'll need at least 500 to be able to run the 8800 GTX decently.

My PSU fucking owns. One of the most highly rated PSU's ever, http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/98562

The 8800 is huge btw isn't it? Physically I mean, takes up a lot of space in my case lol.

So anyway, should I build it all now (temporarily using some old RAM)? Then I can just replace it when the new RAM comes. Or should I wait... I don't know when it will be in stock though.

Wait. Then you'll be a bit more amazed when you run everything at once for the first time. Unless it's going to take more then 5 days, then I'd just build it now.

Edit: And yeah, it's pretty big. Not as big as ATi's, but still pretty big. But I doubt that it wouldn't fit.

BTW, is 700 Watt enough to run a 8800 GTX in SLI? Cause that's what I'm planing, but maybe I'll have to get 750 Watt instead, the thing is that the 750 is about 60 EUR more expensive and obviously I don't want to spend that if it's not needed.