Transmission going out?

Sherman

Alright, it's the '92 Camaro.. with around 202K on it, original everything.

Yesterday I was trying to get by some SUV so I could take my exit, floored it.. but no downshift. After the exit, a little later I tried it again, just to see if I did something wrong the first time (Though I don't know how I could've...) and it did the downshift and did like it usually does.

Today, my mom comes in complaining the RPMs were around ~2800 - 2900 at 55mph (Pretty high). I'm taking it out later to see if I can get the same problem.

Is the transmission going out?

Have you checked the trans fluid?

When was the last time you had the filter changed? Or the fluid?

Also on the older automatics, there's a vacuum line that runs to a small cylinder (called modulator). Check that the line is in

tact and there is no fluid in it. If there is fluid, replace the modulator.

Do you know which transmission you have?

Good.

I think the TH 350/400 also have a band adjustment. If you have a mechanic you can trust, you might want to get the trans serviced.

If you do it yourself -

READ THE MANUAL FIRST!!! Screw up on the band adjustment & you burn up the trans, QUICKLY!

From some of your other posts, I get the impression you haven't done a lot of work to cars.

202k out any auto transmission would be respectable. I wouldn't be too trusting of an automatic transmission with that many miles.

And if the fluid has never been changed, it might be a bad idea to change it. I've read a lot whrere people change their transmission fluid at like 150k miles and it stops working in like 2 weeks.

Unless it was recent, it would probably be a good idea. Haven't worked on many VWs but a Haynes manual should tell you

what you want to know about your golf. They're less than $20 US at most parts stores. I'm guessing you can get the gear oil

(or ATF in some cases, check for sure) will cost about the same.

If you haven't found this yet, you might be interested.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3...postid=39551095