Do any of you guys think IV will get AO?

AO is Adults Only. It's an 18+ person rating, meaning the games aren't allowed to be sold to people under 18. Most stores in the US don't sell/rent AO games, and Sony refuses to license games rated AO for play on the PS3.

Basically, 16+ (PEGI) and 15 (BBFC) are equivalent to "M" (17+) in the US. 18+/18 are similar to AO, except in Europe they don't give a shit about Jack Thompson so they aren't afraid to sell these games to people.

well, unless R* still putting hot coffee, there's no chance in hell they're gonna get an AO rating -_-

it doesn't matter that much really, until "the man" takes care of ESRB, and make it illegal to sell those AO to children like some of us. they really don't care that much about violence/nudity games

the only people who are concerned about those things are fanatics, overcontroling parents, and our very own Jack Thompson <_<

I can't believe they don't license/sell AO then!! In the UK all GTA games are 18, which means you have to be 18+ to buy them (stores selling to under 18s are in big big trouble) but we all still buy them and every shop with sense stocks them!!

Ain't that the beauty of it all? I especially like the ESRB rating system because stores will sell M-rated games, for 17 year olds and up, but move up a rating to AO, for 18 year olds and up, and all of a sudden you're up shit creek.

I think that Maddox puts it best.

I want to shoot people in the face, bang prostitutes, traffic drugs, steal cars, and terrorize police officers without this filthy smut [hot coffee] in my game. Frankly, I'm appalled that Rockstar would allow such wholesale corruption of our youth. Years from now when America has become a withered husk of the morality it once stood for, historians will look back at what triggered it all and point to one event: a boolean variable that unlocked a simulated sex scene in a video game.

I LOL'D when I saw that...it doesn't work.

Anyways, Aussie's have never given a crap about computer games, our Prime Minster is more about sucking George Bush's dick then that.

Not giving a crap? In what way, do you mean they let anything through or the fact that anything with a little bit to much violence, sexual material or language is banned? The latter is correct. Australis rating system for both games and movies is terrible and needs fixing.

@Jade - I'm not as old as you by I have the same belief, to me a rating is just a guideline. At the end of the day it comes down to what I think and what my parents think, and they usually respect my opinion and don't have a problem with Video games. Plus I'm old enough to hire any game Australia now, so doesn't effect me at all now.

I don't even know what the Office of Film and Literature Classification is doing rating games in Australia.

They just couldn't be bothered creating a separate set of people to actually do their job. It's much easier to ban anything that one person doesn't like, or that the UK says isn't good. Thats what happened with Manhunt 1.

I LOL'D when I saw that...it doesn't work.

Anyways, Aussie's have never given a crap about computer games, our Prime Minster is more about sucking George Bush's dick then that.

Not giving a crap? In what way, do you mean they let anything through or the fact that anything with a little bit to much violence, sexual material or language is banned? The latter is correct. Australis rating system for both games and movies is terrible and needs fixing.

@Jade - I'm not as old as you by I have the same belief, to me a rating is just a guideline. At the end of the day it comes down to what I think and what my parents think, and they usually respect my opinion and don't have a problem with Video games.

Exactly and, for example, when I was 7, my parents let me play MK so they really don't care what I play anyways because they know I'm not one of those messed up morons who would actually go out and do the same things I see in games. Thanks to those people, that is why we have ratings.

Plus, after growing up playing violent games and watching violent movies, I'm a normal adult so those idiots who think violence messes people up are wrong. The ones who get "messed up because of violence in games and movies" were already messed up to begin with and can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

Edited by YellowJacket

R*/Take 2 lost a chunk over "Hot Coffee", so I'd expect they'd stay away form AO material.

One of the good things about being an American is the First Amendment. So the worst they can do here is label it for "adults

only". Private groups can protest & threaten to boycott but no one gets fined of goes to jail over it.

Not gloating, just glad to catch a break on this one.

I've been thinking about this, and I reckon part of the reason why they've gone for realism and for example "you won't feel good running over peds" is to help keep it's ratings down. Previous GTAs, when you ran someone down you'd just get a comical "splat" noise which makes it look like they don't take lives seriously, so with the addition of more realism, not rewarding you for killing innocents and cops, and in fact making it hard to get away with doing so, will probably help the game to not get an AO rating in that way.

^ That sometimes makes it worse, though, by making it more realistic. I can't see it getting an AO rating, even though it won't affect me in the slightest, I think they've always been pretty good in terms of content - the violence isn't OTT like Manhunt, and they never set out to shock with any GTA game. Manhunt is made specifically for shock value, that's why the sequel was banned.

^ That sometimes makes it worse, though, by making it more realistic. I can't see it getting an AO rating, even though it won't affect me in the slightest, I think they've always been pretty good in terms of content - the violence isn't OTT like Manhunt, and they never set out to shock with any GTA game. Manhunt is made specifically for shock value, that's why the sequel was banned.

Yeha I agree, sometimes realism isn't everything but it can make those little touches a lot more better