General Hardware Discussions thread

Pandora

Welcome to the (General) Hardware Discussions thread (thought we need such a topic here).

So of course, here we talk about hardware and everything related to it, so that includes things like OS. This post will frequently be edited with the latest news about it.

News covers stuff like:

• CPU's (Intel, AMD mainly)
  • Graphic Cards (nVidia, ATi mainly)
  • Coolers
  • PSu's
  • And other special stuff and general news like RAM, PC cases, Monitors and new little gadgets and everything related to it

You can also ask (little) questions here if you don't feel like making a full topic about it and I'm sure people will be willing to help you. Though I'm pretty new to it myself, I am very interested in hardware related stuff. In the past few months (when Chris82 talked me into building my own PC instead of buying a ready made one) my knowledge about it has grown considerably and still does every day. I'm new to it, but I think I still can be of help to others.

News:

500 gig on a single disc.

The Uni of Berlin together with some other university's have succeeded in making a HD DVD and a Blu-Ray disc hold 500 Gig. They achieved this by instead of imprinting date 2d (those some little dotes in a CD) they imprint it 3d with of course 2 lasers. This technique is called "microholography". By combining this technique with multi-layer discs one can achieve getting 500 gig on one single disc. Experts believe that in the future by using this technique discs would be able to hold up to 1TB.

Link.

36 is fine. Even with cooler 36 is pretty low. Though just to be sure nothing will happen I'd still get a cooler with it. For if you're ever gaming and not realising it's overheating. Not sure about AMD CPU's but the ones of Intel will shut-down as soon as it's overheating (72 C if I'm not mistaken).

Heres my Brand new custom built alienware

Intel® Core™2 Extreme

NVIDIA® SLI™ + DirectX10

1066Mhz DDR2 Memory

Up to 4TB of Storage

Blu-ray Optical Drive

Ageia PhysX™ processor

From $5,199

Just looks like copy paste to me. Up to 4 TB of storage? Yeah, every PC can have that, but what are you getting? Then you have a nVidia Card with DX 10. That could also just be a 8500 card, and those kinda suck. A accelerator is totally not needed since barely any games can use it, and why the heck are you putting a Blu-ray drive in it? Those things are to expensive ATM and not needed. A normal DVD writer is more then enough. Other then that, what do you mean with from, what's the actual price? I can get all of that for just 3200 EUR I think, and then you'll have far better Ram. So now really show the specs you're getting, and not that copypasta.

Edit: Found it, and indeed just some copy paste. Really, it's not worth the money and it's filled with useless stuff like this:

Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 Ultra - SLI Enabled [+$500 or $15/mo.] Alienware Recommends!

Duh they recommend it, but that's just cause it makes them so much richer.

1-The Ultra isn't worth the price at all, it's like 15% more expensive for 5% better performance.

2-They're charging 500$ more when it should just be 250$ more then a Dual 8800 GTX.

And then for all that money they don't even include a Raptor HDD.

Some news added BTW

Jace, that's amazing about the discs thing!!! woah!!!!!

Alienware, lol, if you'd actually bought the system you wouldn't be copy+pasting in the ignorant product blurb and the price range, I mean seriously dude!

Here's my brand new supercomputer:

-able to perform 12.3 trillion operations per second

-intended to continue the advance toward matching and eventually surpassing the computing capacity of the human brain

-covers 9,920 square feet of floor space

-weighs 106 tons

-from $110 million

Sky, a lot of that depends on your case, what case have you got?

Righty, yeah mine goes there sometimes, well maybe not above 60C but yeah I worry too!

Y'know since I just got this computer a few weeks ago, I have a question. AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+... no aftermarket cooling, when should I worry it's getting too hot? I think for now they highest I've ever got it is 36C.

They can take 70 celsius.

I'm looking for a good motherboard. Has to work with an AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+, socket AM2 and DDRII SDRAM.

Y'know since I just got this computer a few weeks ago, I have a question. AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+... no aftermarket cooling, when should I worry it's getting too hot? I think for now they highest I've ever got it is 36C.

They can take 70 celsius.

I'm looking for a good motherboard. Has to work with an AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+, socket AM2 and DDRII SDRAM.

I reccommend this one. It's not too expensive and supports everything you want. And it has a PCI express slot and 4 SATA 3GB ports. Fast hard drives and good video cards are FTW.

• 5 months later...