Sony cuts price of Playstation 3, introduces new 80GB version

chris82

ps380gbxyc.jpg

In a surprise to nobody, Sony today announced that it would be making available a new 80GB version of the Playstation 3 console, and lowering the price of the 60GB version by $100. Sony states that it will sell the 80GB (which includes the racing game Motor Storm) version of the console for $599 and set the price of the 60GB version at $499. This, of course, only affects North America. In Europe, the price remains more than double than in America.

Beginning in August, the new PS3 model will be available in North America for a suggested retail price of $599/$659 CND and will be sold with the popular online-enabled racing game MotorStorm. In conjunction with this news, the company also announced that effective immediately, the current 60GB PS3 model will be available in North America for $499/$549 CND, or $100 below the original launch price.

This could possibly influence not only buyers of GTA4, but also Rockstar's decision to keep their downloadable content exclusive to Microsoft's Xbox 360. This news comes after Microsoft's decision to extend the warranty on all Xbox 360 consoles because of prevalent hardware failures. Will this affect GTA4's console userbase? Will more people buy the PS3? Stay tuned.

Press Release

Ah, but chris82 just put in the news section cause he can. :P

On topic, reducing the price of the PS3... Hmm still expensive as shit! XD But I see what you mean chris82 with the downloadable content. Sony just couldn't be less "powerful" then anything else. BTW didn't MS do that with the 360 Elite (I mean the 80GB)?

Edited by Artur

I agree with story.

You know what's dumb? No one needs an 80GB drive on the PS3 because there aren't really any solid things you'd want to download.

There is jack shit in PS3 store and if you want to watch movies and listen to music on PS3 just set up a media server and watch/listen from your pc on your ps3.

I'm glad they've cut the price of the PS3, but it's still expensive whatever way you look at it. I also agree that the store for PS3 is total shit, there isn't nearly enough content, although this will slowly improve over time. 60GB is good enough for the meanwhile, we don't need 80GB yet. I don't plan on having a few PS3 games on my hard drive, I'll just insert them as I did with the PS2, there's no point storing them on your PS3 IMO.

I own a 60 gb and I agree with some of you.. The extra gb isn't really worth it... But still yet, I love my Ps3 and would never trade it for an upgrade unless it was urgently necessary... PS store DOES suck for now, but I have high hopes for the future... Remember, Xbox has a year or so head-start and they were only "the shit" when online playability first came out because they were one of the first consoles to have online playability (so they've had a long time to work on it) ... PS3 is just starting out and who knows, maybe it will be just as good if not better than Xbox Live in the future... Like I always say though, both systems are good and both have/will have awesome games

Edited by Wolfman

• 2 weeks later...
I own a 60 gb and I agree with some of you.. The extra gb isn't really worth it... But still yet, I love my Ps3 and would never trade it for an upgrade unless it was urgently necessary... PS store DOES suck for now, but I have high hopes for the future... Remember, Xbox has a year or so head-start and they were only "the shit" when online playability first came out because they were one of the first consoles to have online playability (so they've had a long time to work on it) ... PS3 is just starting out and who knows, maybe it will be just as good if not better than Xbox Live in the future... Like I always say though, both systems are good and both have/will have awesome games

Bold: One word man, Wii.

The Wii had a great launch so I don't think you can say anything about head starts with this.

I'm glad there is a price drop, after i get my 360 I may go get a PS3.