Flags Re-enabled

Chris

Long time members of TGTAP may remember that about 3 years ago we used to have country flags selectable in your profile, to let other users know what country you are from (or currently living in, whichever).

It's useful for several reasons. Firstly, finding other members from the same country as you, another is that if the member doesn't have good English and you see they have a European flag for example you can assume their first language isn't English and cut them some slack.

In 3 years there have been numerous changes to countries, mainly ones regaining independence. I have taken the time to check and update the flags/country list so that is completely accurate to the latest ISO list. One such example is Serbia & Montenegro... both are seperate countries now and as such, two different flags are available... if you happen to be from there...

So basically, there is a flag for all 248 (I think) countries in the world.

Also, a note to UK users: You can choose "United Kingdom", or if like me you prefer specifying from which part of the UK you come from, there are also flags of England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey - these countries are listed underneath the option for UK ;)

Please do not abuse the system and select a random country or something like Iraq (unless you are actually from there), it's merely for informational purposes. Also note that you don't have to choose a flag if you wish to remain secretive about where you live.

Flags are displayed at the bottom of your post bit (under your avatar and everything). Hovering your mouse over the flag will show the name of the country.

To choose a flag, go to My Controls ->Edit Profile Information... it's at the bottom.

UPDATE 1: I have quickly put together a Country List allowing you to see how many members are from each country. You can also see who those members are.

UPDATE 2: The flags under your avatar are now clickable, they take you directly to the country list page for that country.

Gosh, Chile's flag is the only one that aint 3D, I feel discriminated <.<

There's hundreds of non-3D flags, well they're not even proper 3D anyway but I know what you mean.

Feel free to make it into a 3D flag.. I'm not sure what effect was used in Photoshop.. I might have a look though and see what I can reproduce.

I just tried, if you don't see it, view the image http://www.thegtaplace.com/images/flags/cl.gif and hard refresh it.

I was just playing around with the gradient tool and believe I got a very similar setting, and added 1px black inside stroke... how's that? Better?

I'm not gonna do all the flags myself, but if your country has a non-3D flag and you have Photoshop and would like the gradient settings, just ask and I'll take a screen. If not then just request it here and I'll do it for you.

I'm going to do all the UK flags right now.