Are the Chinese trying to poison us?

Huckleberry Pie

After the knockoff car incidents, the Chinese are now being investigated by the US and other nations for putting loads of crap in their products. Take for example the tooth, er, antifreeze paste that they're trying to sell in the West and in the Philippines - after some investigation, a massive product recall was announced regarding this dental fiasco, and grocery stores pulled them out of the shelves in response to this incident. The products have been found to contain diethylene glycol, you know, the stuff that you find in car antifreeze?

Consumers were advised yesterday to discard all toothpaste made in China after federal health officials said they found Chinese-made toothpaste containing a poison used in some antifreeze in three locations: Miami, the Port of Los Angeles and Puerto Rico.

Although there are no reports of anyone being harmed by the toothpaste, the Food and Drug Administration warned that the Chinese products had a “low but meaningful risk of toxicity and injury” to children and people with kidney or liver disease.

The United States is the seventh country to find tainted Chinese toothpaste within its borders in recent weeks.

Agency officials said they found toothpaste containing a small amount of diethylene glycol, a sweet, syrupy poison, at a Dollar Plus retail store in Miami, sold under the brand name ShiR Fresh Mint Fluoride Paste. The F.D.A. also identified nine other brands of Chinese toothpaste that contain diethylene glycol, some with concentrations of 3 percent to 4 percent.

And we can see that the Chinese idiots were rather ignorant regarding this fiasco, as what this quote says:

Over the years, counterfeiters have found it profitable to substitute diethylene glycol for its chemical cousin, glycerin, which is usually more expensive. Glycerin is a safe additive commonly found in food, drugs and household products. In toothpaste, glycerin is used as a thickening agent.

Chinese regulators said Thursday that their investigation of toothpaste manufacturers there had found they had done nothing wrong. Chinese officials also said that while small amounts of diethylene glycol could be safely used in toothpaste, new controls would be imposed on its use in toothpaste.

The F.D.A. said diethylene glycol in any amount was not suitable for use in toothpaste.

As one guy once said, "China right now resembles Gilded Age America a lot to me–all resources dedicated to the economic engine, and crap the rest..." If they don't want to be faced by a mob of irate consumers who want to say "f-word you" or "why did you poison my dog?", they better clean up their act - the Chinese government's ignorance is giving them an even worser image abroad... Clean up your act, fools! :pissedred::pissed:

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

To be honest ... I don't think the Chinese are trying to poison us with toothpaste ... If they were there would have been reports of sickness and death from using it.

The FDA are being a bit too anal about this. I cannot honestly believe the trace amount in the toothpaste really can be harmful unless you are eating it.

The Bureau of Food And Drugs in the Philippines had a similar fiasco concerning Chinese-made snack foods; they were found to contain formalin (aka embalming fluid)! In response to this, many supermarkets were told to get rid of the crappy brands from their shelves so as to prevent any wasted consumers. There were also reports of deaths caused by Chinese cough syrup tainted with antifreeze; the said chemical was used by many unscrupulous manufacturers in China as a thickening agent for certain foodstuffs and drugs, instead of the more expensive glycerin, which is safe to use for humans...

Over the years, counterfeiters have found it profitable to substitute diethylene glycol for its chemical cousin, glycerin, which is usually more expensive. Glycerin is a safe additive commonly found in food, drugs and household products. In toothpaste, glycerin is used as a thickening agent.

I would have considered a massive boycott of Chinese goods, I dunno... How come these idiots put crap in their wares?? :pissedred:

Too bad we really can't boycott Chinese products because that is where a lot of our stuff comes from now.

The cough syrup may have just been a stupid mistake ... after all the people who were getting sick from it were probably taking more than they should.

Have you also considered the possibility of just one person or small group doing these things instead of the entire company. After all it wouldn't be that hard to slip some formaldehyde into some potato chips if you happen to work in the factory.

Perhaps even Woozie is disappointed at this incident; the Chinese are making loads of stuff to make millions, at the expense of rendering some of their customers wasted... :pissedred:

Wu-Zi-Mu (regarding the Chinese toothpaste issue): Oh my goodness, man, what do you think my teeth is, a radiator??

Intentionally trying to poison us? No, that's getting rid of their paying customers.

They just want to make a buck & don't care who they hurt in the process.

You have something of a point in there, since all they care about is getting dough... But I still think of this as a covert attack on Americans. As what this guy on the Tri-City Herald says:

It wouldn't surprise me. Just like it wouldn't surprise me if the Chinese Communist leaders were feeding poisoned products to the people of China as part of a thinning of the herd.

This keeps me from buying such cheap stuff from China anymore...

Too bad we really can't boycott Chinese products because that is where a lot of our stuff comes from now.

The cough syrup may have just been a stupid mistake ... after all the people who were getting sick from it were probably taking more than they should.

yeah we'd all be out of goods! we would have to force mexico into doing it. that wouldnt be good

well this is medicine your talking about. its planned to be taken a bit over dosage. and what about people who had a REALLY long cold, or two consecutive ones?

This will always happen to any country for that matter not just China, but since most of our products come from China you have to wonder why becasue its cheap and tbh companies don't want to lose money on paying a western worker 100 times amount of a Chinese one,

I do think this could be over exaggerated, theres a thing I read a couple of weeks ago saying that you shouldn't re use water bottles becasue it has this chemical which could kill you. I though it was bulls*** but the world is getting far too cautious, remember we only got 1 life.

And even the Strawberryland denizens (including me) are reacting to this incident:

850155508_1fa40e6a05_o.jpg

And Tommy Vercetti too...

GTAVC_TommyVercetti.jpg

"Go bring that piece of crap back to China!!"

And to think that some of the toothpaste crap is marketed for kids... :pissed:

I'm sorry, but those images were retarded, and you wouldn't "Go BRING that back to China".... You'd TAKE it back to China.

And even the Strawberryland denizens (including me) are reacting to this incident:

850155508_1fa40e6a05_o.jpg

And Tommy Vercetti too...

GTAVC_TommyVercetti.jpg

"Go bring that piece of crap back to China!!"

And to think that some of the toothpaste crap is marketed for kids... :pissed:

I'm sorry, but those images were retarded, and you wouldn't "Go BRING that back to China".... You'd TAKE it back to China.

Relax Spaz ^_^ There just pictures buddy. ;)

I hope the Chinese give you a taste of anti-freeze.

If they were trying to poison people, there'd be actual reported DEATHS by now. And lots of them. The levels in the toothpaste would also be significantly higher. They aren't stupid. They could poison us if they so wanted to.

Why is it Oskar is bitched at for saying PS3-fanboy "sobered up" and yet, Huck here can say things like "Chinese retards"?

That would go back to being only concerned about the money.

Huck's comment was aimed towards a general group (who in all fairness, ARE acting retarded). As for Oskar/PS3player,

It's not like PS3player advertised being a Muslim before that broke out. Although I think we can get our points across

w/out name calling (applies to all sides)

If there's anyone here from mainland China, I'd be curious to hear what they had to say on the subject.

The only real options we have are to stop buying Chinese products & to start pressuring elected officials to end China's

"Most Favored Trading" status. The US should have done that when one of our planes went down in China & had to be

dismantled & shipped back.