Thinking about getting an African Grey Parrot

7.62mm

They are about $1000 to buy.. I heard they usually outlive there owners! They can be like 100 years old! Either one of these or a Macaw. They need lots of attention though. What do you guys think? Have any suggestions? Maybe should I get a snake? or a lizard? I had a snamke and a lizard b4 but they die to easily :(

african-grey-head.jpg

Freakin Cute :D I can teach it to talk to. Maybe like.. Get out of Cody's room mother Fu**** lol!! :D

Edited by 7.62mm

Freind has one. Needs a large cage, plenty of attention. Like smoke - free homes (as in cigarette smoke) Easily picks up words used often, his started repeating TV catchphrases within kinda 3 weeks.

Only get it if you're well comitted to taking care of it. And if you have the money. LOLz. Upkeep will be expensive, don't want the cute little parrot neglected now do we?

Got 2 of 'em, their characters. They "box", call the dogs then tell them "go lay down!" & stuff like that. Fluffy little goofballs.

Stay away from salt, onions & chocolate, but they love Ramen noodles w/ mixed vegis (frozen) & chicken McNuggets.

we also have an Amazon that recognizes the golden arches, he cries & carries on like a little kid if we don't stop for

McNuggets & fries.

GF does bird rescue, I'll get pics this weekend.

Have macaws also. I tell those dumbass rainbow chickens their next apartment will be a stewpot & they'll have a chicken

for a roommate.

Having an African grey is like having a child. I used to have one called Bridget but she escaped. I would advise against them as your still young, they need so much attention and care. They destroy your funiture, mine bit through the phone cords. They also poo all over the place which stain. You cant just keep them in their cage all the time, they need to be out pretty much all the time. Problem is you will probably get all excited when you first get them but then get bored and these are commitments not just pets. You have to watch them at all times as they can easily escape.

Also be very careful about what they eat, avacados are poisounous.

Also you have to be very brave with them and you can not be afraid. They will bite, that is a certain. When you went them to go onto your finger they will bite it to make sure its safe, you just have to let them bite you or they will never trust you.

You need to research them extensivly. I would adivise against it, even though I love parrots and loved Bridget I dont think you should have one because you think they are cool as they talk.

Birds are a HUGE responsibility. If you do go ahead & get one, you'll want to get a hand raised young one. It'll cost a

little more but a lot of the hard work is done. Wild caught are cheaper, but you have to start from scratch.

We've ended up w/ several (like the macaws) that people just went out & got without much thought. Either they couldn't

handle the bird or they didn't realize how much time & effort it takes to have them.

Do you know anybody w/ a bird that you can handle?

This is Grandma being...GRANDMA! :lol:

grandma34.jpg

Man I had one when I was 7 too. Good thing was we got it from my dads friend for free :D It was awesome, I agree with Bear 100% it bites all the time. I used to feed it fruits and stuff. Taught it to say a couple things, can't remember what though. Wish I had one now, they are really fun. A lot of responsibility like bear and UO said.

Man UO, your bird stories are awesome and hilarious! Really about the McDonalds thing? That's awesome. And lawls at the pic, cute.