3 Red Lights on my 360 :(

Chris

SYMPTOMS

You see three lights on the Ring of Light (RoL) flash red on the front of the Xbox 360 console. The upper-right quadrant light is the only light that does not flash red.

CAUSE

This behavior occurs when the Xbox 360 console experiences a hardware failure.

O rly? Anyone else's console been bricked by today's dashboard update?

I can't believe how ridiculous this is. Here's what the update is for. Why was this made a mandatory update? All it adds is support for wireless guitars for games like Guitar Hero. This does not interest me. I don't have the game and I will never buy a wireless guitar. How pointless!

I'll phone MS tomorrow and send the console off to them to get it repaired. Thankfully MS support in the UK is actually fairly good. But still, completely unnecessary hassle they've caused me. Don't they even test these updates before releasing them?

Click these to see the devestation:

1054247182_351613eb78_s.jpg 1053391515_c8d8fab8fb_s.jpg

BTW if anyone tells me I should have bought a PS3 I'm deleting your comment as I don't even care. I will buy one as well as a 360 when good games are released for it.

/end of rant

Ha... seems I haven't been pwned! Maybe...

Turned it off and on again. Froze at Xbox logo.

Tried again. This time I got forza 2 loaded, but it froze at the main menu

Tried again. Same as above^

Tried again... froze at xbox logo again...

So I leave it off for about half an hour while I figure when is a good time to send it to MS... start it up again and it I actually managed to play Forza, completed a race an everything lol. I'm hoping it's fixed itself now.

It's still weird when I turn it on though because the fan speeds up a lot as if you're playing a game even when it's just on the dashboard, then it goes back to normal... meh. Will see what happens...

The fall update last year killed my Xbox 360. I just talked to them on the phone, and since my original Xbox 360 was made in 2005, they fixed it free of charge! And by "fixed it", I mean I sent them mine and they gave me a refurbished one. Now my console and my hard drive don't match! :( But ever since they gave me that new console, no update, has ever done shit to my console. Nor has it frozen once. :)

Just send it in, and get a new one so you don't have to worry about it freezing again.

Ha... seems I haven't been pwned! Maybe...

Turned it off and on again. Froze at Xbox logo.

Tried again. Same as above^

Tried again... froze at xbox logo again...

So I leave it off for about half an hour while I figure when is a good time to send it to MS... start it up again and it I actually managed to play Forza, completed a race an everything lol. I'm hoping it's fixed itself now.

It's still weird when I turn it on though because the fan speeds up a lot as if you're playing a game even when it's just on the dashboard, then it goes back to normal... meh. Will see what happens...

That's why I hate the Xbox; it's no surprise that the Japanese regard the Xbox as their worst enemy (yeah, really)... Send the joystick to Blendtec for some more pwnage...just joking! :lol:

If I were you just send it to MS, even if its sort of half working for you. They will probably fix it for you, but a little advice scratch the bottom or put your post code on the 360 before you send it in, so when you get it back you know if you got your old one or a totally brand new one.

Thats not needed. Each Xbox 360 has a "manufactures date" written on the back of the console, it'd be a different console if you have a different date. You could also just write the serial number.

Err...you played Forza 2? That game has been known to RRoD Xbox 360s.

O rly? I hadn't actually heard that. Tbh I'm not that interested in any other games right now though. I haven't even used my 360 for about a week. Not that interested in gaming at the moment.

If I were you just send it to MS, even if its sort of half working for you. They will probably fix it for you, but a little advice scratch the bottom or put your post code on the 360 before you send it in, so when you get it back you know if you got your old one or a totally brand new one.

Well yeah I'm thinking of returning it anyway. I'll sort everything out when I come back off my holiday though. I won't be here next week.

Will i got the update but no red lights yet chris when you was doing the update was your internet ok when your xbox 360 was updating because one of my xbox live friends said he has 3 red lights but he did get them when he got that update and just to let people no be careful with them cooler packs when my friend got one and 1 hour later it melted the back of hes xbox360.

It's problems like these that make me think if a 360 is worth the cash... They need to have a serious rehaul of all 360 consoles, removing the defects hidden inside that causes the dreaded 3 red lights to appear. If they don't, they will lose a lot of potential customers, me included.

It's problems like these that make me think if a 360 is worth the cash... They need to have a serious rehaul of all 360 consoles, removing the defects hidden inside that causes the dreaded 3 red lights to appear. If they don't, they will lose a lot of potential customers, me included.

Full point!

So far, I've been lucky, but it's this kind of issue why I was hesitant to get the 360.

I've also been told the X-Box Live account is tied directly to the console & not the user. If the worst happens, how much of a

headache is it getting your account transfered to a new console? Since it's a defect that SHOULD be automatic, but I won't

count on it.

Full point!

So far, I've been lucky, but it's this kind of issue why I was hesitant to get the 360.

I've also been told the X-Box Live account is tied directly to the console & not the user. If the worst happens, how much of a

headache is it getting your account transfered to a new console? Since it's a defect that SHOULD be automatic, but I won't

count on it.

I really don't mind at all about other consoles, but the faulty Xbox 360s are a real pain. It has a lot of great exclusive games I haven't played like Crackdown or Forza, but the red lights thing always puts me off. The Wii also has the issue with the wrist straps breaking, or it did have, I don't know if it's been fixed since, and the PS3 has no real top quality games for it yet, plus the price is a problem. I'm stalling on which one to get because of these issues.