Holden VS Ford

Dmac

That was my point, it WASN'T. Once I realized it was a GTO, I felt bad for the guy, he should have just walked away from me

from a dead stop.

I'm 14, course I haven't (Driven families cars though). But I've never actually heard of a Sierra, what's it like?

http://digiads.com.au/carsales/used-cars/c...28.193031_1.jpg

In the mid '80s, Ford imported them to the US under the name Merkur. I had an '87 XR4TI w/ a turbo 2.3 that made 200 hp.

That thing was FAST!

So it was a 2004?

I'm not trying to start anything, but I'd like to support the GTO on this. With a good driver an 04 GTO can run high 13s on the quarter. Are you saying a V6 Mustang (and I'll assume the Mustang has a motor similar to the 4.0L SOHC in my truck, which puts out 207hp) can take an 04 GTO?

The GTO has a fat ass, so I know power to weight plays a role, but my brother has raced an 07 Mustang GT and it could barely keep up.

I can't imagine a V6 Mustang keeping up with any GTO.

No actually, which is fine. No offense to Ford but they are German made and drive like shit. Holdens are australian made and drive awesomely...

I prefer driving my Mum's Holden then my Pappa's Ford. Even though the Ford is really sporty.

Sorry to burst your bubble mate, but Holdens aren't exactly what you think.

The Barina, Captiva, Epica etc in the current Holden range are all Korean, and the Commodore from 1978 to 2006 was a warmed over German design.

Many other models also came from overseas, or had international influence. The Kingswood is the only Holden to be fully Australian made.

The Ford Falcon was an American design up to 1972, but has been completley Australian since. (Still using some foreign parts though)

Both Holden and Ford are owned by American parents (GM for Holden and The Ford motor company for Ford).

Edited by Johnny Fidalgo

• 4 weeks later...

Like I said, it really surprised me. My 3.8 is a pushrod engine, no overhead cam & 2 valves per cylinder. I have a K&N air

filter & Bosch platinum plugs, but other than that stock. Estimated HP is around 200.

Holden probably does the same thing as other GM makes, using models form divisions around the world to make models sold

under the Holden name (Like the GTO being an Aussie Manaro).

Ford abandoned the Falcon name in the US after 1970 but it lived on in other parts of the world. My personal favorite is the

'73 XB, Mad Max's car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon

Speaking of Ford Falcons, there was also an Argentine variant based on the US '63 model. -

http://www.arcar.com.ar/Fotos/Vehiculos/3979-Ford-Falcon.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Argentina)

• 3 weeks later...
No actually, which is fine. No offense to Ford but they are German made and drive like shit. Holdens are australian made and drive awesomely...

I prefer driving my Mum's Holden then my Pappa's Ford. Even though the Ford is really sporty.

Sorry to burst your bubble mate, but Holdens aren't exactly what you think.

The Barina, Captiva, Epica etc in the current Holden range are all Korean, and the Commodore from 1978 to 2006 was a warmed over German design.

Many other models also came from overseas, or had international influence. The Kingswood is the only Holden to be fully Australian made.

The Ford Falcon was an American design up to 1972, but has been completley Australian since. (Still using some foreign parts though)

Both Holden and Ford are owned by American parents (GM for Holden and The Ford motor company for Ford).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I know for a fact that Holden is fully Australian, under the GM logo. Made here and created, the American Version of the new Holden Comidore is going to be made in Adelaide and be imported to America. All of Holden are Australian, even some GM.

So don't start shit about it, ok.

Clarkson? He's an ass clown! At best, proof Michale Moore (Bowling for Columbine) has British relatives.

"The typical American car, fast in a straight line, and pretty much rubbish at everything else." is a poor generalization.

Not all American cars are front engine/rear drive V8 configuration & in all fairness is he talking about a base model, a

Saleen or a Shelby Mustang? I can say for a fact my 2000 'Stang (stock) corners quite nicely & can hang w/ FWD cars

in cornering. What is he comparing the '05 to, a European car costing 3 times as much? Like comparing a Ford Focus

to a new Porsche. Did He mention you could drive the Mustang for years & only need basic maintenance like oil changes

& clean filters. it was designed to be a daily driver, not some rich snob's status toy.

Did I mention Ass Clown

Quotes from Wikipedia page -

"Clarkson was awarded an honorary degree from Brunel University on 12 September 2003, partly because of his work

in popularising engineering..."

Honorary? So he talked about the subject on TV & got an "honorary" degree.

"Everybody's very fat, everybody's very stupid and everybody's very rude. " (Reference to Americans).

This is based on...? Meeting every person in America? Or just the ones you've managed to annoy.

Before this turns into a full blown rant, I'll just let you read for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson

Holden models compare fairly to GM models available in the US.

Just for the record, not all Americans are fat, stupid & rude.

Clarkson? He's an ass clown!

Opinion. And so was the review. It was what HE thought of American cars, which happens to coincide with countless others' that aren't American.

What is he comparing the '05 to, a European car costing 3 times as much?

Actually no, he was comparing it to the Lotus Exige, which is faster, lighter, more economical, cheaper and corners like a fly.

Quotes from Wikipedia page -

"Clarkson was awarded an honorary degree from Brunel University on 12 September 2003, partly because of his work

in popularising engineering..."

Honorary? So he talked about the subject on TV & got an "honorary" degree.

They did say partly, and I've never heard of this.

"Everybody's very fat, everybody's very stupid and everybody's very rude. " (Reference to Americans).

This is based on...? Meeting every person in America? Or just the ones you've managed to annoy.

I wouldn't know about rude, that was probably based on a personal experience. But America is the fattest country, and becoming the dumbest.

This all comes from statistics and such, and I know, they aren't always correct, but what else is there to believe?

Personal experience, don't take someone's word for it just because their famous. As an American I have tired of tired

getting bad mouthed by people who never met me. It wasn't that long ago that all white South Africans were racists.

(this is not a personal attack, do not take it as such).

The Lotus is a nice car, but hardly a fair comparison. The lotus is a lightweight mid-engine car based on racing design,

a completely different car. A better comparison would be a Mustang would be a Holden Manaro (Pontiac GTO in the US).

The Lotus should have been compared to something like a Toyota MR2.

It's apples & oranges. If Clarkson is such an expert he should have thought of that instead making a piece of

journalistic fluff. Nothing personal, the guy just pisses me off, I'd be surprised if he could change his own spark plugs.

I doubt it would do so well against the Ford GT (granted, the GT is 3 times as expensive as the Lotus). Even w/ the weight

advantage of the Lotus (at just under 200 HP), the the GT V8 (550 HP) would easily make short work of it.

For gas mileage, the Lotus would win & yes I would drive one. But if I could afford cars like that (or even the insurance)

I wouldn't car about gas mileage.

Some reading material for those interested, courtesy of Automobile Magazine -

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupe...xige/index.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupe...club/index.html

Anyway, we're going a little off topic here. Does Holden have a mid-engine model similar to the Opel Speedster?

(quick search found none.)

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

The Lotus is a nice car, but hardly a fair comparison. The lotus is a lightweight mid-engine car based on racing design,

a completely different car. A better comparison would be a Mustang would be a Holden Manaro (Pontiac GTO in the US).

The Lotus should have been compared to something like a Toyota MR2.

The point was why would you buy it when there is a cheaper alternative that is, for lack of a better word, so much better? Albeit different.

I doubt it would do so well against the Ford GT (granted, the GT is 3 times as expensive as the Lotus). Even w/ the weight

advantage of the Lotus (at just under 200 HP), the the GT V8 (550 HP) would easily make short work of it.

Well that's like comparing a house cat to a tiger. In anyway, the GT40 would run out of petrol long before with, what is it, a four miles to the gallon engine? :rolleyes:

Edited by V V

More like 12 for the supercharge 5.4 V8.

You apparently MISSED the part about not being concerned about gas if you could afford one in the first place.

Check your prices. I don't know where you buy your cars, but the Lotus is WAY more expensive than a Mustang.

..... America is the fattest country, and becoming the dumbest.

This all comes from statistics and such, and I know, they aren't always correct, but what else is there to believe?

I don't know where that came from, but I expected a little better than that from you. I think I speak for more than a

few "fat stupid rude" Americans when I say that. You got a problem with us, take it to the warzone.

I should point out the topic is Ford vs HOLDEN, not lotus. Get back on topic.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

GOD DAMNIT. Why does someone ALWAYS start shit in a decent topic.

.... America is the fattest country, and becoming the dumbest.

Would you like a ban? I'm not even kidding. Oh wait, I'm so dumb, I don't know how to ban people!

It's Holden VS Ford. Not about some guy and his opinion. YOUR OPINION IN HERE. Yeah, UO brought it up, but he didn't start bagging or making huge ASSUMPTIONS about a nationality. If anything, PM eachother if you really feel like discussing it.

Clarkson (as well as May and Hammond) is regarded as FUNNY. Top Gear is both interesting and comical, NOT factual. You are supposed to take everything he says with a heavy pinch of salt.

I hate to generalise again, but this is British humour, which consists of subtle jibes at other people and quietly enforcing non-believed stereotypes.

Statistically the USA does have the fastest-growing obesity rate in the world. America is frequently cited as the fattest country in the world with an obesity rate of 30% and another 35% classified as "overweight." Malta and the UK aren't too far behind though, so maybe it is unfair to single out the US. But its funny, and that makes it okay in the right context, such as a funny non-PC program.

Clarkson calls cars "a bit ginger beer" (slang for queer, meaning homosexual) but thats just funny and doesnt offend me at all. But still some people complained cos they took it out of context - you wouldnt want to see that on the news or in a serious newspaper.

So I say grow up, stop being so paranoid that people take jibes at you. Yes okay we do make fun of Americans for being fat, ruining the English language and being stupid. Those are just silly generalisations that people don't really believe (unless theyre stupid themselves). If you arent fat or stupid, then great - you dont fit into the stereotype and youre awesome and the generalisation doesnt apply. If you are, then you need to do something about it and you deserve to be laughed at until you do (usually).

Stereotyping is fun.

As for cars, German cars rule, Italian ones are fun, some others are OK. American cars don't usually stand out, but there are exceptions. Same opinion as Clarkson & Co.

As for this topic, stay on topic and don't let these stereotypes get in the way of a good wholesome discussion.