Anyone here got any good racing tips?

GiiBz

OK, so I think you guys here may have worked out now that I like motorsport. Well today i signed up to do a 230 lap race at a local kart club. We are in teams of 2 pplz (so that we don't get dead arms on the circuit) but does anyone know how to be fast and be a winner? Or am i gonna be totally screwed?

So help wud be nice plz!

So would support...

Remember your racing lines.... (coming upto a corner, take the outside, then cut straight across the corner as close to the inside 'apex' as possible, so you don't travel as far...

And your braking strategies... (before the corner, accelerate through, yeah?)

And slipstreaming :D

One more peice of advice, chew some chewing gum, you'll end up breathing more, and heavier, so yure brain will get more oxygen = higher concentration.

No caffeiny energy drinks, you'll get a hit, but eventually, especially in 230 laps, it'll cause you to become tired... Not good.

Geared karts? If so, shift down in the event of slow acceleration after a bend. Change as close to the redline as possible (upward), make sure your speed doesn't level off (as long as it at tops!!!) and don't rev too high... And off the line, try to find the clutch biting point beforhand, then you can give it some revs, then just dump the clutch. You'll leave 'em standing.... :)

Don't be scared to shift either....

(but that's only if you have gears)

Don't R1 'round corners. (Sky lol)

Don't be scared to steer sharp. Those tyres should be nice and toasty afetr about 6 laps, then they'll stick o the track like white on rice.

I did my homeworx.

Good luck buddy! Give 'em hell!

And last of all.....

Play Dirty

That actually won't get you anywhere.

Edited by MrLlamaLlama

Rolling starts? OK, (if geared)

In 1st, rolling along, push clutch in, put it in 2nd, still rolling.

Then dump the clutch, full throttle on the startline (when the race starts)

Technique is everything here, you don't wanna hold the clutch in too early, disengages the engine. Can be used as a (much less effective) alternative to breaking, but atleast your crank won't be going round pushing you along.

Requesting UO's input. Don't tell me he never raced anyone at the lights in that 'Stang of his... heh :P

no gear sorry. I'll tell you about the karts.

Kart:

2 honda 400cc engines.

Slicks all round

Carbon Fibre bodywork

Carbon Fibre steering column

Overall weight: 60KG (I think)

Drivers:

Me:

Sparco Helmet

OMP suit

Sparco boots

Teammate:Jamie:

Spacro Helmet

OMP suit

OMP boots

Team Communications:

Radio- opperated by the "Teammate" that isn't racing at the time. Used as a spotter to help out the other team member on the curcuit

TWO engines? So these things have all wheel drive?

Never raced Karts, so I can't offer much on that.

If you can move at all on the Kart, lean in on the turns & "scrunch" down in the straight aways (like leaning forward on a PCJ)

unless it's a streamlined body that molds to the driver.

The best thing I can think of is be patient & you'll take out some of the competition just on that when the get in a hurry &

make mistakes. You want to be aggressive, but not to the point that you're blowing turns.

If you have a chance to get a few laps before the race (I would think you will), hold back slightly. Just concentrate on

"learning" the track. If your competitors are there, look & learn.

Good luck.

i know the track pretty well. I race there every month. So i'll probably get the tires warmedd up along with the brakes and stuff. And the 2 engines are at the back so you have one engine for each wheel (only at the back tho. There real wheel drive). (I finaly got a pit crew ready today. 1 refueller and 2 tire changers and 1 jacker.)