GTA Central

gtA5fan

• 1 month later...
loads of php errors on that forum, and also i dont think gtacentral.com and gta-central.com will like you ripping their name.
Correct ;) - right now we're in the process filing a patent for our name so that other places cannot legally use it, and will be forced to shut down if they do (such as GTA-Central.com).
1) I never knew they existed :wtf:
That's okay - theres a first to learning everything I guess :). I also see you changed your forum's name to "GTA Center" - that sounds a lot better and pretty cool. I like your forums, thanks for the name change as well B).

loads of php errors on that forum, and also i dont think gtacentral.com and gta-central.com will like you ripping their name.
Correct ;) - right now we're in the process filing a patent for our name so that other places cannot legally use it, and will be forced to shut down if they do (such as GTA-Central.com).

Are you having a laugh mate?

GTA-Central have been around for years longer than you and you think you can file a patent over them, you haven't got a chance, if you had started before them then you would, but since is the other way round, its as if you have taken the name from them.

The statistics speak for themselves, you have a mere 86 members on your forums, since you're quite a new site, whereas GTA-Central have over 13,000, although the site is no longer updated.

I'm sorry but I don't think you'd have a case for a patent. You aren't a trademark or company. Whatsmore, I don't see why you'd need a patent. All the websites who will choose to call themselves GTACentral and are hosted on free web hosts are liable to be closed down by yourself, you already have the power to do that.

We managed to get a few sites closed down that were hosted on freewebs for stealing images, names, content etc.

Oh and BTW, I happen to own gtasa-mods.com, a domain similar to your gtasamods.com, are you going to try and patent that too?

GTA-Central have been around for years longer than you and you think you can file a patent over them, you haven't got a chance, if you had started before them then you would, but since is the other way round, its as if you have taken the name from them.
Which GTA Central are you talking about exactley? I think you might be talking about GTACenter.com (it used to be owned by TeSjit but last I heard he gave up and let the domain expire). "f0xy" I believe owns GTA-Central.com, which has only been around since October 26, 2004 (according to his "grand opening" news post). The article also states "GTA-Central was first concieved in 2004 by J Fox (a.k.a f0xy).". The whois records indicate his domain was bought on February 24, 2004. Our domain was purchased nearly a month before that date.
The statistics speak for themselves, you have a mere 86 members on your forums, since you're quite a new site, whereas GTA-Central have over 13,000, although the site is no longer updated.
Forum member numbers arn't everything - our forum has actually been off for quite some time; just last night we actually got it up and going again. I also doubt the statistics of 13,000 members on their forums is a true statistic; GTA Boards is more popular than they are (and rankings prove that) and they don't even have 13k yet, as of the time of writing this.
I'm sorry but I don't think you'd have a case for a patent. You aren't a trademark or company. Whatsmore, I don't see why you'd need a patent. All the websites who will choose to call themselves GTACentral and are hosted on free web hosts are liable to be closed down by yourself, you already have the power to do that.
Any material - not limited to websites or electronic content are subject to patents considering the rightful owner invests the money for a patent for that material. I'd actually moreso be purchasing a copyright on the name, which would protect anything belonging to and under that name. Legally, it would require anyone else using the same name to change their name or shut down; and if they disagreed their host could be contacted for further legal matters.
We managed to get a few sites closed down that were hosted on freewebs for stealing images, names, content etc.
Ey, that's the nice part about hosts ;) - usually they're willing to take down a hosted site, assuming it's stealing materialistic property from another owning source. Sometimes people can be very irresponcible when it comes to messing with other's content and ownership rights.
Oh and BTW, I happen to own gtasa-mods.com, a domain similar to your gtasamods.com, are you going to try and patent that too?
Naw, don't worry man - the only name I am going to patent/copyright is going to be "GTA Central". I think it would be rude and 'going too far' so to speak to completely patent everything, plus I don't have that kind of money. The only sites infringing on our network right now are the ones claiming the same name as us, assuming they haven't reached the patent office first - that problem will hopefully dissolve in the future.

I hope you don't find me offensive or anything, I've come here with good intentions - I just happened to see this thread and thought I would give it a peek, the title of the topic caught my eye ;). See you around.

Edited by GTACentral.com

1) I never knew they existed :wtf:
That's okay - theres a first to learning everything I guess :). I also see you changed your forum's name to "GTA Center" - that sounds a lot better and pretty cool. I like your forums, thanks for the name change as well B).

Nice tosee this issue was solved in a simple way. I've seen osmething similar to this taking place and it turned in some kind of flame war between 2 animals :lolbounce:

Ok sorry for this massive quote but I would like to reply again to all those points.

GTA-Central have been around for years longer than you and you think you can file a patent over them' date=' you haven't got a chance' date=' if you had started before them then you would, but since is the other way round, its as if you have taken the name from them.[/quote'']Which GTA Central are you talking about exactley? I think you might be talking about GTACenter.com (it used to be owned by TeSjit but last I heard he gave up and let the domain expire). "f0xy" I believe owns GTA-Central.com, which has only been around since October 26, 2004 (according to his "grand opening" news post). The article also states "GTA-Central was first concieved in 2004 by J Fox (a.k.a f0xy).". The whois records indicate his domain was bought on February 24, 2004. Our domain was purchased nearly a month before that date.

OK I've just realised what I typed there, I also didn't realise you owned the domain for that long. But GTA-Central was derived from Vice-Central.com, that domain was bought on 21-Oct-2003 and f0xy renamed this to GTA-Central after a few months, but he didn't buy a domain for it until February, so what I meant to say was 'a year' and not 'years' although technically it's not a whole year anyway so forget I said that. :P

The statistics speak for themselves' date=' you have a mere 86 members on your forums' date=' since you're quite a new site, whereas GTA-Central have over 13,000, although the site is no longer updated.[/quote'']Forum member numbers arn't everything - our forum has actually been off for quite some time; just last night we actually got it up and going again. I also doubt the statistics of 13,000 members on their forums is a true statistic; GTA Boards is more popular than they are (and rankings prove that) and they don't even have 13k yet, as of the time of writing this.

Yeah, it is a true statistic, why it is so high is because Vice-Central had hundreds of mods on it, and f0xy had a system on his forums whereby a user would need to be registered before he could download. So while many of these members didnt post at all, there were quite a lot that did. You are right though, GTABoards are bigger.

Look, here is a list of most GTA sites, based on popularity, based on Alexa rankings: http://www.thegtaplace.com/sites.php

I'm sorry but I don't think you'd have a case for a patent. You aren't a trademark or company. Whatsmore' date=' I don't see why you'd need a patent. All the websites who will choose to call themselves GTACentral and are hosted on free web hosts are liable to be closed down by yourself' date=' you already have the power to do that.[/quote'']Any material - not limited to websites or electronic content are subject to patents considering the rightful owner invests the money for a patent for that material. I'd actually moreso be purchasing a copyright on the name, which would protect anything belonging to and under that name. Legally, it would require anyone else using the same name to change their name or shut down; and if they disagreed their host could be contacted for further legal matters.

Ok I have nothing else to say on this matter, but I'll tell you, f0xy hosts GTA-Central on his own server.

We managed to get a few sites closed down that were hosted on freewebs for stealing images' date=' names' date=' content etc.[/quote'']Ey, that's the nice part about hosts ;) - usually they're willing to take down a hosted site, assuming it's stealing materialistic property from another owning source. Sometimes people can be very irresponcible when it comes to messing with other's content and ownership rights.

Yes, I'm actually in the process of getting two sites closed down now, one stealing my ps2 buttons images for the cheats, the other stealing some fake screens from gtafour.net.

Anyone wanna see how shit their sites are?

Oh and BTW' date=' I happen to own gtasa-mods.com' date=' a domain similar to your gtasamods.com, are you going to try and patent that too?[/quote'']Naw, don't worry man - the only name I am going to patent/copyright is going to be "GTA Central". I think it would be rude and 'going too far' so to speak to completely patent everything, plus I don't have that kind of money. The only sites infringing on our network right now are the ones claiming the same name as us, assuming they haven't reached the patent office first - that problem will hopefully dissolve in the future.

OK. Well I don't know if I'll be using that domain, since I own SanAnMods.com too, I'm not sure which one is better.

I hope you don't find me offensive or anything' date=' I've come here with good intentions - I just happened to see this thread and thought I would give it a peek, the title of the topic caught my eye ;). See you around.[/quote']

No, not offensive at all. This was just a petty argument really.