New GTA IV Details from GamePro

Chris

The latest issue of GamePro has brought up a few new minor details about GTA IV, they saw the same missions we heard about during the last lot of previews so there's nothing really exciting here, just a few interesting snippets of information.

• Billboards can be seen advertsing "Shark Credit Cards," "Pirate Music" and "The Whiz" (The Whiz being the type of phone Niko uses.)
  • The HUD is described as "minimalist to its core." There is a mini-map, a "low-key" cash counter, and they say that the HUD in general looks more clean than in previous GTA games.
  • Ammu-Nation no longer exists. We've heard about the new ways of acquiring weapons, namely from Little Jacob. GamePro is the first magazine to confirm that Ammu-Nation has been dropped.
  • The rocket launcher will return (obviously, this has also been mentioned in other magazines but not explicitly confirmed)
  • One of the female pedestrians screams "this shit is bananas!" from her vehicle. (Another quote we heard a while back)
  • A fare meter appears on-screen as soon as Niko enters a cab, and the camera pans around it as it drives.
  • The little green guy on crosswalks is crisp and clear.
  • Clothing in GTA IV is described as "customizable, and also realistic."
  • On shooting, the magazine states that: "the cover system borrows elements of Gears of War, and Rainbow Six: Las Vegas." It also says that "the aiming is a Resident Evil 4, over the shoulder style."

In other news, Gamesindustry.biz is reporting that an Australian band called "Airbourne" will have some of their music in GTA IV.

... Not only will those artists find telling exposure to key target audiences within EA's own titles, but some will also find themselves as part of other games as well – Melbourne band Airbourne will also be featured in the new Tony Hawk game, as well as Grand Theft Auto IV.

Link: GTAF topic

I disagree, Ammu-Nation is just being replaced by Little Jacob someone who will make the storyline and the game experience better, past GTAs had Ammu-Nation and after a while it gets a bit repetitive, they tried to tackle this with aiming courses it worked but they needed something new and they got it. There was more bigger successes than Ammu-Nation such as the clothing in SA and the Empire Building in VCS.

On the subject of weapons, can you still take them off slain gangsters? Is there any mention of a "heat" system (like the

one used in "Sacrface")?

I presume you will still have ambulance/firetruck/police/taxi side work, any confirmation on that yet?

If I had to take an assumption, I'd say yes. I mean, weapons are already hard to come by, and to the victor go the spoils, I say. Besides, every other shooting game that I've heard of allows you to pick up weapons and ammo from deceased enemies.

Nice to see new info, as always being dripfed again. I don't like Ammunation being excluded, I don't think I could be bothered locating a person down an alleyway to get weapons, it will become boring. The HUD sounds better, I always felt there was too much on screen from previous games. It will be better if, when you change weapon, it briefly flashes up on screen before disappearing again, that'd be ideal. I also like the aiming, I was a dead-eye at shooting on Resi 4, so this is good news.

Likin the HUD update, only fits that it should be crisper and sleeker, with the new generation and all.

I won't miss ammunation, it was a bit over-exaggerated the way the had the weapons strew up the walls and shit. But going to some guy in an alley everytime you want a pistol to wipe out some asshole will become boring and repetetive, unless you can call him on your cell, and arrange to meet him somewhere. Maybe the less he has to travel, the less moolah you pay for the peice? Just a thought. I'd say ridding corpses of their weapons will return, but i hope the lose the floaty-glowing weapons from previous games, it'd give a better sense of acheivement to know that you found an AK47 beneath a pile of rubble because you had a sharp eye, not because it had some massive glowing thing around it. /mini-rant.

New aiming system sounds promising... Look forward to trying that out.

• 3 weeks later...