JT wants Goldberg removed.

Red_91

Well I found this over at gta4.net and found it quite funny.

Heres the article

Jack Thompson has come to the *cough* crazy conclusion that Tom "Guns don't kill people, videogames do" Goldberg, is somehow based on him. And he's now threatening to block GTA IV's release unless the references are removed.

Goldberg is a shady lawyer who features in one of the two missions previewed by gaming magazines in July. The mission demands that Niko kills the lawyer, and Thompson believes this reference is "threatening his physical safety:"

I have this morning read with interest an article on page 80 and 81 of the September 2007 issue of Game Informer magazine which was generated when, according to its author, Rockstar Games “stopped by the Game Informer offices for an impromptu hour-long gameplay session with the Xbox 360 version of the game."

The showcasing play of the game to Game Informer revealed that the first killing mission of the "hero" of the game, Niko, is to kill a certain lawyer. When Niko comes into this lawyer’s office, having used subterfuge to do so, Niko pulls a gun on the lawyer who says, "that the firm supports the second amendment and that 'Guns don’t kill people. Video games do.'"

…The fact that the lawyer, killed on Niko’s first mission, would bring up video games, makes it clearly a reference to me… This is not the first time Rockstar Games and Take Two have targeted me in this fashion. Take Two references to me as a bisexual pedophile on its corporate website…

You have until five o’clock P.M. this Friday… to inform me that you are going to delete the above references and any other references that could reasonably be construed to be references to me in Grand Theft Auto IV and any other video games that are pending release…

Now you have descended this low - using one of your games to threaten my physical safety… Failure to comply with the deadline… will result in my having to take necessary and proper means to stop release of the game which targets me personally… given the copycatting of violent games…

Oh dear.

I find it quite funny to be honest.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is quiet old, but yeah, I hate Jack Thompson, he deserves to die. :P But I don't see the point of removing Goldberg, it's not like JT's going to get in affect with the game. I don't know what will happen to R* if they don't take these precautions. I hate threats like these sometimes, It ruins the storyline and the Characters.

I'm pretty sure he does. And I'm pretty sure the police do, and I'm pretty sure the government do, and I'm pretty sure the hospital staff who would have to accommodate for him do... Need i go on?No need to wish death on the guy, maybe extreme pain, but not death.But yeah, he can't touch GTAIV for shit, no matter how hard he tries. It's obvious R* are taking the piss, but there's no evidence there....

Hmm, maybe Jack Thompson is a bisexual pedophile... :whistle:

Anyway, there are plenty of idiots who think video games start violence, so Jack Thompson can't totally claim Goldberg is based on him. Just the same, JT can't touch Take Two, Rockstar, and GTA 4. So his stupid ass lost before this even began.

Jack(ass) Thompson will accomplish one thing, drawing interest in GTA4 from people who might not have payed attention to

it otherwise. J(A)T is a crackpot who just wants fame & fortune & thinks he'll get it attacking a video game.

I remember when Jerry Falwell & "Moral Majority" started his crusade against Larry Flynt (publisher of Hustler magazine).

Flint ran some parody adds poking fun at Falwell in Hustler & Falwell circulated copies of the add in a MM newsletter trying

to rally support in his fight w/ Flynt. Eventually this landed in the US Supreme Court & Falwell lost. Ironically, Flynt counter

sued for copyright infringement (the MM newsletter) & won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Flynt

If you didn't read the entire "Legal Battles" section, the Supreme Court decided public figures couldn't recover damages

from a "parody" J(A)T is SOL (s*** outta luck). :P

DP - Nice. Start an internet petition that he has to do that in front of his local courthouse, I'll sign it.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw