Unhandled Exception - First time install

ShadowWalker

I have just installed GTA:VC on this computer for the first time. It is a new computer and I have never played this game on here before. This disc and game work on my other computer, but I have a continuous problem with this one. Whenever I try to change resolution in the options menu I get an Unhandled Exception. It happens every single time. I can play the game fine, everything works and no matter how long I play it works just fine. The only time I ever have a problem is when I try to change resolution. I have followed multiple instructions (In other words, multiple forums have already said to uninstall and reinstall the game.) I did and no luck. I tried a solution that Rockstar provided, which was to uninstall the game, remove all the folders, clean the registry of GTA:VC data, scandisc and defrag before doing a complete reinstall. Same problem... Now, I would love to post the Unhandled Exception I have been having, but I have the unique problem of when I do get the Unhandled Exception window, it will not come to focus... No matter what GTA:VC remains in the foreground and only CTRL+ALT+DEL will bring up the Windows Task Manager. From there I can only see the Task Manager and Start Menu/taskbar... If I click on the Unhandled Exception it will not come to focus. I decided that maybe the Unhandled Exception assistant tool. (I must admit, can't remember what it's called but I downloaded it from this site.) After doing that I no longer even receive an Unhandled Exception... Now when I try to change resolutions I just get the usual Windows XP program shutdown message. I have tried changing the resolution both by dimensions and by color depth... Basically, I'm in 640x480x16, cannot change to either 800x600x16 nor 640x480x32. Does anyone have any ideas? I have uninstalled and reinstalled again to remove the Unhandled Exception error assistant and am once again receiving the Unhandled Exception. I still can't see what error it is, and I still can't change resolution. Obviously, if your answer is uninstall and reinstall that isn't going to work... TIA

We'll presume you have a legal copy of VC.

What are the differences between your new computer & the old one. If you haven't already, make sure your drivers are up

to date on your computer. Also, make sure you have a recent version of DirectX. I recently had to do a wipe & reload on

my box & forgot that one. Surprisingly, SA ran okay w/out it, finally realized what I missed when I tried to run SCARFACE &

realized the error message meant the game was looking for DirectX.

The only other thing I can think of is what OS are you running. For me VC has gotten along just fine w/ Windows 98 & XP.

Oh yes... It is a legal copy. I have the old book/map that go with it somewhere, but I haven't had to use it in forever so who knows. Either way... I have updated DirectX, as well as the drivers for my video card, monitor, and sound card (not that this is part of the issue.) I'd have to say there are a lot of changes in this computer versus the previous... Basically everything... The comp I'm on now is a P4, w/ ATI Radeon Xpress 200, 256MB of ram... not sure about the onboard ram on the video card, but I know it has something... The card I was using before was an ATI Rage though, so I don't see why the newer card would be having problems... Like I said... It's just an aggrivating thing because I can't get a higher resolution... The game is perfect... Unlike my previous computer, the graphics are completely in sync with audio during videos, and the game runs smooth with no jerks/hangups... I don't get it.

Well, that would make sense if it was an old monitor... This is a Gateway FPD1760 17" Flat Panel monitor... If a monitor like this can't handle higher resolution, then they need to stop making flatpanels. Besides... I can change the resolution in any other game just fine... I'm constantly playing higher-end games like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Homeworld, C&C Generals, etc. with no problems. All of them are set to 1024x768x32 (or at least 1024x768x16, as some games don't allow a color depth change.) I should also mention that I've recently discovered... if I try and ALT+TAB out of GTA:VC I get the same error, if another window tries to take focus away from GTA:VC I get the error, and everytime I shut down GTA:VC it won't close, it just sits there with the error in the background. I have taken time to fight with the computer enough to get it to show me the exception errors and it's probably not very helpful, but here they are:

This is the error I get when I try to change resolution. It is also the error I receive if I attempt to change the focus of GTA:VC to another window:

Unhandled Exception: c0000005

At Address: 01fd1e00

Actually... it gives that error for everything, so like I said... not helpful... This really doesn't make any sense to me... I've never encountered anyone with this problem on any of the forums, and not even Rockstar knows what to do about this.

If it helps at all:

Pentium 4 3.06GHz

512MB Ram

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 with 256MB reserved graphics memory

Realtek HD Audio

DirectX 9.0c

Windows XP SP2

Edited by ShadowWalker

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, I'm not playing VC because I have a problem w/ my video card (which plays SA just fine, figure that one out).

Are you trying to run VC in a window? I think I had problems w/ a similar mod for SA, so if you are then try reinstalling

w/out the "Window" mod.

On that note, do you have any mods installed?

Glancing back through, I noticed you said you couldn't change your resolution. To change resolution in VC, go to OPTIONS

before you load your save (or start new game), the save file keeps track of the setting.

• 4 months later...
Well, nevermind I guess... I'll find somewhere else that's willing to at least try and help without asking me really stupid things like what size is my monitor.

I have not been on the net for a while so sorry for the late reply. Dogg don't study all them solution like uninstall and reinstall, registry clean up etc. Them thing is stupidness, you not trying to clean your computer right now. Its a simple fix. All you have to do is right click either on the GTA Vice City shortcut or the execution file it does not matter. Then click properties, then compatibility; select compatibility mode and select run in Windows 98/Windows me. Apply and then good to go no error again. Bless :thumbsup: