The end of l33t sp33k?

MrLlamaLlama

MY Custom PC newsletter included this interesting article:

A team of US software developers is developing a 'StupidFilter' that will block unintelligible posts from internet message boards.

Once the software is installed on a webserver it will scan posts before they are published for nonsense terms including 'OMG!!' and 'LOL', blocking the worst offenders with a message that says 'This comment is more or less unintelligible. Please try to restate it.'

According to the team's frequently asked questions page, the filter will be targeting 'comments with too much or too little capitalisation, too many text-message abbreviations, excessive use of "LOL", exclamation points, and so on.'

The FAQ does go on to note a few sticking points, including the fact that the filter is 'blind to irony', making clever posts somewhat redundant, and that dividing stupidity from mere carelessness is always going to be a tricky proposition, a problem it intends to deal with by creating a rating system for each post.

Despite the inherent challenges the team clearly feels the project is worth the effort, noting that 'effective textual communication requires at least some formal rigour, and we feel such rigour is worth encouraging and, at times, enforcing.'

The team is currently asking users to visit its site and help them rate a selection of idiotic YouTube posts on a scale of one to five. The filter is expected to be released in December, with a Firefox plugin for self-censorship to follow at a later date.

Thanks to CustomPC for finding this.

The home site of the stupid filter is here

What do you guys think about this? Will it really be necessary?

I think it would, but... it would destroy all sense of sarcasm. Which would suck.

These guys seriously need to open their eyes and drink some coffee. What's the problem with using Acronym on Forums? I tell you, they shouldn't have done this as they've wasted their time.

Also:

By the way, thanks for the donations! I've got the next couple months hosting covered now. You all are the best.

I wonder who would do such a thing... Donating money to some geeks that make useless stuff.

I personally think it's a site created by phishers, why the hell would YouTube and other sites allow those lot to manipulate the way the sites work.

There are a few losers who would love to get rid of Internet Slang, and would donate to the 'project', thus completing the phishers goal of stealing their credit card details.

Well good on the phishers, I say, those losers deserve their cash to be stolen from them.

Edited by Angry Gorilla

Actually the phishing idea is a little too extreme...since they're using PayPal (Don't worry I didn't donate anything)

Basically, I think its a scam, they're a bunch of scammers who are tricking the pathetic into giving up their money, really they aren't designing software, they're just pretending to.

I think it's illegal to do what they're 'doing' but I may be wrong.

It's really, really not a scam. I'm not defending the idea / say it'll work.. i'm saying that it's a genuine program...

And neither have i donated my cash (of which there is approximately none anyway) to them.

But you have to choose to have it emplaced on your server or w/e.... it's not obligatory or anything... And it's not obligatory to donate either.

I'm not supporting the idea, but I can understand the logic behind it. It's more than a little annoying when you're reading

through a topic & hit a post of gibberish L33t sp33k you have to stop & wade through. Texting on a cellphone is one thing

but dammit, you HAVE a keyboard.

It could be added as an optional filter.

Actually the phishing idea is a little too extreme...since they're using PayPal (Don't worry I didn't donate anything)

Basically, I think its a scam, they're a bunch of scammers who are tricking the pathetic into giving up their money, really they aren't designing software, they're just pretending to.

I think it's illegal to do what they're 'doing' but I may be wrong.

Ummm.... No, I'd believe they are really doing it. But what the fuck? Why, exactly, would it be hard to do. In all honesty, sounds like a few simple scripts. I'd believe Chris if he said he wrote a similar program in an hour.

I'm not supporting the idea, but I can understand the logic behind it. It's more than a little annoying when you're reading

through a topic & hit a post of gibberish L33t sp33k you have to stop & wade through. Texting on a cellphone is one thing

but dammit, you HAVE a keyboard.

It could be added as an optional filter.

Yes, it is annoying, but I don't believe in forcing anyone to type regularly. Granted, we have nothing to fear, for Chris wouldn't use it.... But still..... If I'm trying to be funny I want to have my normal options open. Making fun of TXT'rs, AOL-Kiddies, and GAIAFAGS has become quite common for me.

It's very annoying when I'm on MSN, and I have some idiot come say this to me:

Knob: "hi u fukin dik i hte u i gnna bng u at skl"

Connor: "Do you get any fucking English lessons at school?"

Knob: "yeh i ave!!1"

Connor: "Well you've obviously forgotten them quick enough.."

Knob: "! fU6k!n6 h4t3 U!!1"

It may take longer for them to type in a real language, but at least the person they send it to can actually read the fucking thing..