which computer should i get?

steveyboy

ok, so my parents said they would buy me a new computer for christmas, and i am trying to decide weather to get a MAC or PC. can anyone point me in the right direction?

help will be appreciated :yup:

Macs are expensive and too proprietary for my tastes; you'll spend more than what you actually need for a Mac, while you and your parents can spend half on a PC...

If you can afford the mac, and would genuinely make use of all of it's features, then don't be scared to take the plunge. But for iMac money, you could easily build a kick - ass PC. Nuff said.

Jace... you seem to not really have a clue. You can get macs with top end radeon grahics cards, which (just less than) match those Nvidias. -_-

It all boils down to what you plan to use it for. Graphic design, video editing, and audio creation... or everything else. Ever.

If you can afford the mac, and would genuinely make use of all of it's features

lol that's an oxymoron.

Seriously Macs aren't made for gaming and since you're at a gaming forum, you probably don't want one. Get the PC. Except make sure it doesn't have Vista on it. God help you if you get Vista.

I don't really understand. Seems perfectly plausible to me.

True rofl moment at college a few weeks ago (mac related, promise)

Our teacher for graphics has this macbook, we were asking why she's prefer it over a regular laptop. (she didn't, she got it bought for her because she is college staff) But, anyway, she is a complete, total snob, and a stuck up bitch. She went on to explain about some of the cons bit you get with a mac, but how it's more than outweighed by the popularity and shit of the PC...

Her last point was : 'I suppose macs are just more of a snob thing really'

It made us all rofl... the most prim, proper, snooty bitch in the land ranting at mac owners being snobs.

If they were as bad as everyone seems to think they are, they still wouldn't be in business right now... so, they can't be all bad.

MACs are total pieces of overpriced shit. they are for arrogant eurotrash morons who just want to look trendy in front of their equally moronic friends.

Get a PC. they are for the man who would rather go to the pub and drink beer. not go to some ponsey "alternative" bar and inhale weird vapours through your nose

So PC is for the macho man? The real man would respect the other one.

idiot

I don't understand why everyone here has such a thing against macs, my brother has a macbook pro and I think it's great.

Getting a new computer sometime soon though but really not sure whether to get a PC or Mac, I mean if I can get a PC for cheaper and better then I might just buy one of them... But I love macs and I've wanted one for a while.

I don't understand why everyone here has such a thing against macs, my brother has a macbook pro and I think it's great.

Getting a new computer sometime soon though but really not sure whether to get a PC or Mac, I mean if I can get a PC for cheaper and better then I might just buy one of them... But I love macs and I've wanted one for a while.

Well, I'm sure myself and many other people have nothing against Macs, but just prefer PCs instead.

The problem people have with Macs, and people who own Macs are that a lot of them can't shut up about them. But its not like everyone does that. For example, you don't see Chris creaming his pants over his MacBook do you? (Well... I don't... :P)

And they are nice, no reason to hate on them at all IMO. I'll probably end up buying a MacBook when they come out with their new line of 'em.

I'd just like to say this: Today, in graphics, we used the brand new, 24" Imacs, and they were fucking gorgeous.

Stability - not a single flaw, same with file copying, image editing, video rendering, and just searching through the other Macs on the network.

If i had the money, I'd probably go a buy one now. But, i don't.

I'd just like to say this: Today, in graphics, we used the brand new, 24" Imacs, and they were fucking gorgeous.

Stability - not a single flaw, same with file copying, image editing, video rendering, and just searching through the other Macs on the network.

If i had the money, I'd probably go a buy one now. But, i don't.

Same here, if I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate. They look amazing, every time I go down to the Apple Store I always play with one. :]

Personally, I don't really like the looks of iMacs. But that just my opinion. What with iMac's is that you never can fit any powerful Graphic-Card into them, so even if it had DX10/9 support, you just can get a good card into it (8800 GT/GTX/Ultra). And other then that, they're overpriced. They've got good CPU's though. Intel is doing great lately and switching from AMD has been a great step from apple.

If you like the looks, don't mind (or like) Mac OS and aren't planing to use it for gaming and don't think you're going to be using those app's that only work on Windows, have had it with MS and don't mind paying a bit more for for having the apple logo and the 'Mac look' then you could consider getting a iMac.

Though in my opinion XP is better then Mac OS.. but then, that's an opinion.

Not upgradeable, too expensive, etc...

Why do you think that Microsoft hasn't created software that allows you to dual boot OSX on an XP machine? Because it isn't necessary being you already have everything you need on the PC.

Boot Camp isn't even that wonderful of a concept, what, are you going to just stay on OSX and browse the web/work/do whatever and then boot into XP to play games? Why bother? Just stay in XP all the time and you can do everything.

If they changed their designs to something upgradeable and made all their shit compatible with PC parts, then halved the cost, sure, I'd buy one.

Fat chance of that happening.

BTW I'm pretty sure that game is Crysis.

My friend has macbook pro..it looks great, has good features etc..then i asked him how much it was..nearly double the price of my laptop (~$1700AUD) his was like 3k...he had parallels which is like...you can be in mac, then press a button and your in XP..although it was just emulation so not good enough for games or anything, you had to boot into windows for that..when we were trying to play cod4 on his laptop, we did the normal and booted into windows, only to get a bluescreen, and then it restarted into mac. then we tried again, again, again. after the 5th bluescreen it finally stayed in windows without crashing..plus I dont see whats so great about mac anyway (starting to sound ignorant so il stop there)