Should i change my monitor?

MrLlamaLlama

Just gonna run this past everyone... Want your opinions.

Ok, so... i've seen an awesomely priced monitor, for about the same price as i got my current monitor. But the thing is, i'm not sure whether to change. My current monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024, which i love. But, the new monitor is 1440x900...

Pros of new: Will work nicely when i buy a 360 so i can hook it up, without letterboxing, Will work nicely for graphics, is a sexy glossy black colour... :P

Pros of old: Won't have to find a buyer... Taller resolution.

So... eh, is it worth sacrificing the extra 100 or so pixels on top, for the 100 or so either side?

My money lies, pretty much, in your hands.

I prefer the normal square (4:3) 1280x1024 resolutions, just seems more normal and more useful. Yeah widescreen is slightly better for watching widescreen films etc, but it still isn't the exact shape of every widescreen thing. You still have to make a compromise between a small image that shows everything (letterbox) or fill the screen with half the image (zoom).

If your current monitor works fine, definitely don't bother paying for a whole new one just to go widescreen. If your old one is a shitty CRT, or if it breaks or anything - then is the time to upgrade, and you'll probably find it easier to get a large widescreen monitor.

Never seen the hype in widescreen monitors either. And I find playing on 4:3 much more natural. I guess it's just growing up with the 4:3. If you watch vids/do lots of video/image editing/want to look cool 16:9 is a good choice. If you're a gamer stick with the 4:3. Besides, it's the resolution that matters. If they're pretty much the same I'd stick with the 4:3. I also do video and image editing, and I have no problem with my 1280x1024.

Widescreens are good, but if you're a web developer, it can be hell because you need to center the width of your site. If you own a forum, and you're viewing it on a widescreen monitor (Like this website) you can see it's pretty wide, but it can be fixed eventually.

So yeah, there can be disadvantages for it, but it can be fixed at the end. So I say it's up to you.