Had a thought the other day

MrLlamaLlama

So, we've had all three trailers, we've all marvelled at the fantastic new features, we've all gone 'ZOMG!' at the physics and visuals....

But, will cars still explode when they roll over?

I hope so. For one reason, and one only. It wouldn't be GTA if they didn't. Sure, R* are supposed to be moving into realism, and developers making GTA clones have been doing it for years... but... it's one of those features that defines GTA, one that many of us love to hate. Or, just love to love (or for that matter hate to hate)

So... what do you guys think? Are R* gonna opt for realism... Or GTA spirit?

Wow, good question.

I think there should be an option to turn this on and off, as i do with all previous GTA features.

True, it would feel allot less like "The Real" GTA, but if that feature annoyed some people in the past,

why on earth would they put it into they're next gen title.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't put it in, but it would feel allot less like GTA...

Edited by -Acid-

I tought they already confirmed in the gazillion GTA IV magazine previews that cars won't explode if they roll over ... I hated that feature in previous GTAs ... WTF? Never seen a car explode because it was flipped ... very unrealistic IMO ... I hope they will make this game more realistic and this feature won't be added ... All my friends hated this feature too ...

I tought they already confirmed in the gazillion GTA IV magazine previews that cars won't explode if they roll over ... I hated that feature in previous GTAs ... WTF? Never seen a car explode because it was flipped ... very unrealistic IMO ... I hope they will make this game more realistic and this feature won't be added ... All my friends hated this feature too ...

Meh, i don't trust those magazines for shit.

I mean, its not just the cars. What about health icons and shit like that. The rotating weaponry made them more noticable, but at the same time made it "unrealistic".

Again, i think they should add an option (Or least a cheat) to change things that annoyed people in previous GTA titles.

Edited by -Acid-

I agree with the weapons thing. They shouldn't have a big coloured orb around them (like they didn't in SA), but they shouldn't float either. They should lie on the ground or w/e.... Obviously more sparse than previous GTAs. That way, you might miss them even if you walked straight past them...

Meh, not sure which was this will go... I'm totally split. At the same time i want realism, and i want an iconic GTA feature.

-_-

I didn't like that either.

That is a good question. I think it will still be there just for the simple fact that it would'nt feel the same without it. In actuality though cars do sometimes explode when turned upside down. My dads truck did anyways. Don't worry, he got out in time. But sometimes the battery leaks or something and if the ignition is still on, it can cause a spark. If the spark hits the gas or battery fluid, then BAM, you got yourself one hellses a explotion.

Edited by fatalgamer

Thats a good question but how realistic can a game be. I mean if they really wanted to go for realism then they would have to show a tow truck coming to flip over the car and tow it away. Then they have to get cops to come over and check out the crash and all that rather then having it just evaporate. When dose a game have to stop being realistic and make it a game? Shure that would be a bunch of useless things to waist space on the disc for but hey its realistic. I think there are certain things that can be made more realistic but you can really only make it so realistic. Its still just a game. (even if its the best game ever!)

Thats a good question but how realistic can a game be. I mean if they really wanted to go for realism then they would have to show a tow truck coming to flip over the car and tow it away. Then they have to get cops to come over and check out the crash and all that rather then having it just evaporate. When dose a game have to stop being realistic and make it a game? Shure that would be a bunch of useless things to waist space on the disc for but hey its realistic. I think there are certain things that can be made more realistic but you can really only make it so realistic. Its still just a game. (even if its the best game ever!)

I think i love you.

You make a very, very good point.

I think, love it or hate it, we've all grown to live with it. It adds a new dimension to the game hammering the X (or B) button to get away from the ticking time bomb that is our freshly flipped car. I, for one, would miss it... You guys apparently wouldn't.... :(

I think i love you.

I think, love it or hate it, we've all grown to live with it. It adds a new dimension to the game hammering the X (or B) button to get away from the ticking time bomb that is our freshly flipped car. I, for one, would miss it... You guys apparently wouldn't.... :(

I would miss it, thats kina what I was getting at.

I think i love you.

I agree with you.

If it flips upside down, it should just get on fire, but shouldn't blow up depending on how badly the car is damaged. Something like this is actually good to have, plus, cars don't explode if they're upside down (From what I see on T.V. but yeah...).

This is a pretty good point actually. I'd rather this than nothing at all. Might actually prefer it over an entire explosion. Meh, not sure. It'd be sweet anyway, especially because the visuals are going to be so fucking awesome.

A great question & some great points being made.

In the future, I think GTA is going to struggle to find a balance between the extremes of what gamers want. Rock* are trying to provide a consequence free environment, whilst factoring in the rules & conditions of the real world. At one point there is not enough detail or realism & at another no fun. I'm all in favour of progress, however if the game were to become ultra realistic with all the same outcomes as in the real world, gamers won't go about playing GTA with the same level of inhibition & as a result probably wouldn't have as much fun.

The point of these games is that they are a departure, where we play out fantasy scenarios that we would never have the bottle to do in reality. If you went about playing GTA in the same God fearing way that you live your life, you probably wouldn't dare steal a car, let alone shoot a cop...so what would be the point?

Luckily Rock* seem to be awesome at compromising. In the case of Liberty City instead of straight copying NYC they have taken the fun elements & arranged them to make the best gaming experience. In the same way I'm trusting them to do the thinking for us & pick the fun elements of reality & put them all together to make a more enjoyable game.

P.S. No more cars exploding when they are on their roof please.

I think i love you.

I would miss it too. I like it.

Plus, what is the point of flipped car. You can't just flip it over and go about your buisiness. It would sit there, uslessy. Where as if it explodes, you have some entertainment and the excitment of getting away in time. If there where no flipped car explosions then, well there goes 50% of the explosions of the game.

Edited by fatalgamer

You know, you make a very good point. Here's some thing's I see:

Weapons come out of nowhere. - That's most likely going to be changed. The GTA spirit is pulling a rocket launcher out of your ass.

Vehicle Handling - I mean the handling has never really been too realistic, think about it. The cars jerk every once in a while and when they turn they don't flip over too much if your pretty good at the feeling. I think they're going to go a step up with this.

Shoot The Moon! - I hope they don't take this out, it's one of those things that needs to be in every GTA game. Shoot the moon and it will get bigger.

I can think of more, that's a pretty lame list, but that's all I can think of right now.

Weapons come out of nowhere. - That's most likely going to be changed. The GTA spirit is pulling a rocket launcher out of your ass.

Vehicle Handling - I mean the handling has never really been too realistic, think about it. The cars jerk every once in a while and when they turn they don't flip over too much if your pretty good at the feeling. I think they're going to go a step up with this.

Shoot The Moon! - I hope they don't take this out, it's one of those things that needs to be in every GTA game. Shoot the moon and it will get bigger.

I can think of more, that's a pretty lame list, but that's all I can think of right now.

I think the shooting the moon, and car explosions will stay. Those are the kind of things that make GTA..... well GTA! I think that the car handling and weapon out of air will both be changed big time. Atleast I hope they will change, otherwise I'll be pretty disapointed.

Edited by fatalgamer

yeah, the weapons thing has been confirmed remember? you got a gun dealer, theres trunks of cars :P

vehicle handling, Play GTAIII, that game was pretty easy to flip a car when taking a corner really fast, all the big vehicles flipped easy, aka Patriot, garbage truck, linerunner, but the cars lower to the ground didnt, except for 1 car, its the 4 door car you start out with in the first mission, where you drive off the bridge to the house to change clothes. that car was a BITCH.

and shooting the moon, ill email them and complain if they take this out, i honestly will, its a GTA thing, shooting the moon to make it bigger, hasnt been done in anyother games i think..

so yeah. :clapping:

You know I think rock star would really have to try to disapoint me with this game. Im looking forward to this so much that when I actually get to play it ill forget everything and decide that the game is purfect for about the first week till I really start to focus on the little things.

Im shure they will fix the pull the gun out of air thing but still if they don't I don't think it will bother me that much. I will be absolutly blown away by everything els that I wont even pay atention to it.

I think will the pay and spray colors they should allow you to choose from a list after you pull in for what color you want. Not just in the car customize thing they had in san andreas.