Jetpack in Doherty PS2

hypercoder

See the last video I post for a good "How To" set up and result.

Found this by accident... well, actually by being lazy.

I wanted to save the game but had to drop the jetpack to access the save icon - so what I did was drop the jetpack precisely where I would be standing when I got done with the save so I wouldn't have to pick it up again - I'd automatically be wearing it.

What happened is I am now wearing the jetpack, in Doherty, everytime I load the game; even if I take my memory card to a different PS2!

I've tried this at other 'outdoor' save locations (Four Dragons, Mike Torenos' house) and couldn't get it to work - but I've done it a couple of times in Doherty now.

Check this out:

Edited by hypercoder

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a "How To" vid (crappy as usual) to set up the jet pack so you have it everytime you load the game from an out door save point.

Do these things:

1. Get the jet pack

2. Go to any outdoor save point

3. Drop the jet pack

4. Go to the Save icon

5. Hit Cancel

6. Look where you are standing now

7. Drop the jet pack there

8. Save the game

If you've done it right you'll start off with the jet pack and this will work every time you load the game - even if you shut the system off. Works until you save indoors or without the jet pack.

Great find, by the way! :coolthumbup:

I wanted to add that this trick will also work on PC.

And, it will also work for Safe Houses, provided that you place the jetpack where C.J. will appear once he materializes in front of the Safe house after he exits it, and it transfers to when you save the game.

Recently I was helping someone complete a mission, and I walked out of the Safe house in Old Ventures Strip (where they had saved the game), and the jetpack appeared on C.J. as soon as he materialized outside.

The previous player had taken the jetpack off just before entering the Safe house, that’s why it appeared on C.J.

I tried it several times (by reloading the game and restarting), and the jetpack appeared on several of those attempts.

Here's the saved-game for anyone that wants to try it out:

http://gtasnp.com/download/6986

Load up the game, and walk outside quickly or it won't work. It may take a couple of trys, but it does work.

It's best to not move the controls once C.J. enters the yellow arrow and begins to walk outside, just let him appear outside, and the jetpack will appear on him a split second later.

Here's a video of that saved-game:

Edited by zmoonchild

Great find, by the way! :coolthumbup:

I wanted to add that this trick will also work on PC.

And, it will also work for Safe Houses, provided that you place the jetpack where C.J. will appear once he materializes in front of the Safe house after he exits it, and it transfers to when you save the game.

Excellent! Thanks for the confirmation - me being on a PS2 I don't know how things go for the PC version. I had the jet pack appear on CJ when he came out of the gym one time but didnt' think to take that over to a Safe House.

Cool! thanks for the input :coolthumbup:

I asked my friend Dave (who does by pdescobar), and here's what he had to say about it:

When you take the jetpack off, you might notice it doesn't immediately disappear -- instead it becomes a special one-time-only pickup that expires after a certain amount of time kinda like dropped money and guns. If you save while one of these dropped jetpacks is still around, it stays in the save and doesn't go away until very shortly after you reload. By dropping the jetpack in the exact position you reappear on save (or the exact position you appear when leaving a savehouse), CJ is able to equip it before the part of the game that recycles old pickups has a chance to remove it.

I asked my friend Dave (who does by pdescobar), and here's what he had to say about it:
When you take the jetpack off, you might notice it doesn't immediately disappear -- instead it becomes a special one-time-only pickup that expires after a certain amount of time kinda like dropped money and guns. If you save while one of these dropped jetpacks is still around, it stays in the save and doesn't go away until very shortly after you reload. By dropping the jetpack in the exact position you reappear on save (or the exact position you appear when leaving a savehouse), CJ is able to equip it before the part of the game that recycles old pickups has a chance to remove it.

What I noticed in the program is when you save the game the clock advances 6 hours AND the environment 'cleans itself' up. This makes sense - (the pickups renew every six hours) the environment can't do squat without some time passing, so when you save the environment has to play 'catch up' but it's not immediate. In that brief moment of clean up you get to snag the jet pack again. What Dave stated is cogent with what I've been able to observe. I wonder now, what other object/environment properties can be taken advantage of in this type of situation..?

• 2 years later...