My New Laptop

Righty

Long story ahead

So back in October, my thinkpad blew a motherboard. The thinkpad repair place on campus had no idea how long it would take to get it fixed and they refused to give me a loaner laptop. Apparently, being a computer student, I didn't need a laptop ... okay :blink:

So I start browsing Dell for used laptops - my only criteria was 1) Core 2 duo, 2) Decent video card

So I stumbled across this:

Dell Inspiron 1520

1.5 GHz Core 2 Duo

1gb memory

X3100 graphics card

Now I thought the x3100 was an ATI radeon. I have a x1300 in my thinkpad and it's a decent card. And for the price of 550 (this is a referb unit), I thought I'd buy it. Apparently it was intel X3100. And when I placed the order I didn't know it was pink. Dell wouldn't cancel the order for it being pink

So I get the laptop and find out it's got a crappy graphics card. Okay, oh well. After doing some research, I found out that I can get a decent Nvidia card for it.

I ordered nvidia card from ebay and found out that i have to get a different motherboard. So I ordered the motherboard. I now have a kickass pink laptop with Nvidia 8600M GT card ... I love it!

And thanks to the prices I got on ebay, I have a $1300 laptop for around $750

Pics!

I took them in a lounge and people were oohing and aahing that someone took apart a laptop and 'upgraded it'

fagtop1.jpg

fagtop2.jpg

fagtop3.jpg

fagtop4.jpg

Dell_Inspiron_1420N_Pink.jpg

Note that the camera screwed up the color, it's flamingo pink

I was thinking of upgrading my laptop (prob upgrade cpu to 2ghz duo and upgrade card to something better than a 7300GT) instead of having to buy a new desktop, but I've heard a lot about having issues with overheating etc...Have you had any troubles of this nature?

btw did you upgrade the CPU, how does a 1.5 coreduo go with the games, what have you tried on it?

I'd rather have a pink laptop for like $500US cheaper, especially if im paying for it myself

I've got a 2,2 GHz Core2Duo for my my dads laptop. It's great. SuperPi in 20 seconds, what is very good for a laptop.

Games.. it depends.. You won't be able to get games like World in Conflict on max settings and forget about Crysis. But it's good.

For a desktop you'll probably want a E6750 or better. Oh, and a E6850 is a better choice then a Q6600, since games don't really support quad cores yet.

Super PI was single threaded, so its relevance as a measure of performance in the current era of multi-core processors was diminishing quickly

Hmm...(wikipedia)

But I suppose I'll need to budget at least 1500AUD for a new decent desktop?

Which I will have to pay for myself, somehow...with no job and no time for job...

Yeah.. that's why Super pi is so ideal for games and stuff. Cause almost all programs out there are single threaded.

Really, why would anyone want a quad core for now (so not with any intentions for the future).

Also, I think that Wikipedia quote is quite wrong. Super Pi can show the power of a single core. The performance from xCores (x being the amound of cores you have) is mostly determined by how well a program is scripted and optimised for multi-core CPU's.

It is a very usefull tool to make an estimate of the speed of a CPU.

Remember, not everything of Wikipedia is actually correct.

Edit:

So theorectically a Core2Duo in my dads laptop should be possible of doing Pi 1M in 10 seconds, but effectively that can never be done. I'd estimate it on something like 14 seconds. Or maybe quicker.. because such a calculation should be able to be optimised very good.

But for a Game. Crytek said 2 cores would show a performance increase of 60% and Quad cores 90%. Far from the 300 (y'know, 3 more cores). So in my opinion just using one core to make such a calculation to determine the speed of a CPU(core) is the best way.

Sexy. Except for the horrible Dell logo, it's so lame, they ruin all of their products by putting their crap logo on it.

I don't mind the dell logo. I'm proud of my dell

8600.. You should be able to game good with that.

And the pink kicks ass anyway, haha :P

For a laptop of 750 those are awesome specs. Wouldn't be able to get more then a 7400 here.

Ran any benchmarks yet?

I have not. What is a good free benchmarking utility?

I have a laptop with a 8600m GT too and it's a very good gaming card. I have a core2duo t7500 too(2.2GHz and 4 MB L2 cache.) Only your color. :P

What make/model? I actually think I'm being slowed down by the T5250 in games. Hoping to upgrade to something faster

I was thinking of upgrading my laptop (prob upgrade cpu to 2ghz duo and upgrade card to something better than a 7300GT) instead of having to buy a new desktop, but I've heard a lot about having issues with overheating etc...Have you had any troubles of this nature?

btw did you upgrade the CPU, how does a 1.5 coreduo go with the games, what have you tried on it?

I'd rather have a pink laptop for like $500US cheaper, especially if im paying for it myself

I think it's slowing me down a wee bit. It's at 100% usage. I can't overclock though :( Apparently they haven't got a program for santa rosa chipset). I haven't overheated it too bad yet. Onetime I went nuts with the clock speeds and the drivers crashed. Luckily for me, the inspiron 1520 is one of the best cooling laptops.

I've got a 2,2 GHz Core2Duo for my my dads laptop. It's great. SuperPi in 20 seconds, what is very good for a laptop.

Games.. it depends.. You won't be able to get games like World in Conflict on max settings and forget about Crysis. But it's good.

For a desktop you'll probably want a E6750 or better. Oh, and a E6850 is a better choice then a Q6600, since games don't really support quad cores yet.

• 1 month later...