25 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favourite ?

• Xp is da bomb.
    • Vista is better.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if XP is the bomb, but Chris82 sums it up perfectly.

Next time you look at new games, look at the system requirements. Vista calls for higher hardware requirements than XP

on many of the new games.

I'm getting along okay w/ XP Pro on a machine that needs a rebuild, not sure Vista would be so forgiving.

I have 1gb ram and a Pentium 4 2.66 ghz with RADEON XPRESS 200 series and Vista is super slow. Thats why Vista sucks.

Yes Vista is good for new games like Crysis and etc but Xp can be upgraded by installing Dx10 on it.

Edited by Msaud

Vista....better?

Did the sun set today? Well? Did it?

If so, XP is better

Lol nah that was a bit tight...Vista will be good soon but I wouldnt get it unless I got a brand new computer (and couldnt choose) and even then I'd reformat and put XP on...:lolbounce:

If i was to get a new computer in 2009 or 2010 then I'd consider Vista, but right now, performance isnt up to it unless you have a fat budget...my friend said vista idles on 1gb of ram (ie it uses 1gb ram to do nothing, with no programs open - just all those effects etc)

Personally i think I wouldnt even bother at ALL because, you dont need to have a shadow on the window, or a transparency effect (even though nvidia control panel can do this on XP)..nobody notices, why even bother...people are just getting spoilt...

A nice PC with XP inside it with Linux inside it... that's the life...

Fixed.

Serioulsy, you can't play games when you're emulating a full OS. Just get a PC with XP and if you've got enough money you can get a extra HDD where you install Vista on for the small advantage DX10 gives you (until now it looks like almost nothing actually. You'll only notice the difference with a microscope)

A nice PC with XP inside it with Linux inside it... that's the life...

Fixed.

Serioulsy, you can't play games when you're emulating a full OS. Just get a PC with XP and if you've got enough money you can get a extra HDD where you install Vista on for the small advantage DX10 gives you (until now it looks like almost nothing actually. You'll only notice the difference with a microscope)

I was actually thinking as a nice edition to a work Mac, but when it comes to playing games,

ALIENWARE FTW!

I checked the Alienware site once. Damn crappy.. "8800 Ultra. Alienware recommends!" Yeah duh they recommend. But just cause they charge you about 25% more then they should. If they recommend a high-end card (in those days) they should have recommended the 8800 GTX, Ultra was way to much overpriced.

Tri 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 Ultra – 2.3GB Dedicated Video Memory – 3-Way SLI Enabled

[+$1,950 or $59/mo.] Alienware Recommends!

Tri 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX – 2.3GB Dedicated Video Memory – 3-Way SLI Enabled

[+$1,100 or $33/mo.]

So, $850 more for getting a Ultra instead x3. They should charge just $300 extra. $850 is just absurd.

See:

EVGA 768-P2-N831 - VDO 768MB PCI-E 8800GTX = $566.97

Evga 768-P2-N881-AR 768P2N881AR E-geforce 8800 Ultra Pcie 768mb = $650.44

Just quick stuff I looked up. You should be able to get the same modles cheaper.

I checked the Alienware site once. Damn crappy.. "8800 Ultra. Alienware recommends!" Yeah duh they recommend. But just cause they charge you about 25% more then they should. If they recommend a high-end card (in those days) they should have recommended the 8800 GTX, Ultra was way to much overpriced.
Tri 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 Ultra – 2.3GB Dedicated Video Memory – 3-Way SLI Enabled

[+$1,950 or $59/mo.] Alienware Recommends!

Tri 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX – 2.3GB Dedicated Video Memory – 3-Way SLI Enabled

[+$1,100 or $33/mo.]

So, $850 more for getting a Ultra instead x3. They should charge just $300 extra. $850 is just absurd.

See:

EVGA 768-P2-N831 - VDO 768MB PCI-E 8800GTX = $566.97

Evga 768-P2-N881-AR 768P2N881AR E-geforce 8800 Ultra Pcie 768mb = $650.44

Just quick stuff I looked up. You should be able to get the same modles cheaper.

Ugh, those prices disgust me. I love Windows XP but you can't buy a good PC these days without it already having Vista installed.

Edited by GTA Don

I've still never built my own PC and still am using my 4 year old one. Still waiting for my dad to give me the moeny to buy the parts. But I'm going to build it. At least then I'll get it how I want it and without all the crap you usually get in a PC. They always compromise on parts. Even the Dell XPS 720 thing. It actually has pretty crappy memory. Well.. not the best, and for what you're paying you'd actually expect them to put high-end memory in the system too. Though it those come with a 8800 GTX in SLI and a kick-ass pre-overclocked CPU (Intel Core2 Extreme QX6850 at 3.67GHz). But then you do pay something like 5000 USD for that. Not whorth it at all. Just get a good cooler (watercooling if you can afford it) and you'll be able to top that for something like 1750 USD less.

The Vista UI looks pretty gay at times. I prefer XP's simpler-looking UI but I hate the colours for the taskbar.

And Vista leaves too much hisotry behind on what you've opened or created. And I absolutely hate that.

But I like how in Vista DVD-RW's and CD-RW's are more like USB's; drag and drop rather then burn...it takes so long.

You can disable some of them, like the "Recently Changed" folder annoys the shit out of me it always leaves shortcuts to anything you open in that folder.

I think you open up Start, then right-click and go to properties then click on the Start Menu tab then un select the Store and display a list of recently opened files/programs. There's a lot more then XP that's why I don't open up certain files on Vista ;)