Teen Sets Classmate on Fire, Claim he transformed in a Warcraft Fire Mage.

Slyde

Source

After losing a schoolyard fight, a 17-year-old boy in Beijing recently covered a classmate with gasoline and lit him on fire, claiming he "had lost himself in World of Warcraft and when he committed the crime he had transformed into a Fire Mage."

The boy has been sentenced to 8 years in prison and ordered to pay the victim and his family a restitution of 760,000 RMB (approximately $103,140 USD).

In light of the recent "Mortal Kombat killings," we"re hesitant to believe the claims of any youth who says they have been influenced by a video game into violence. In this case, though, we believe him simply because China lacks our American legal system that allows people to claim "games made me do it," and subsequently shift all blame to the game"s creators.

While this crime is both shocking and bizarre, we have to applaud the Chinese officials for offering a sane punishment as response. Had this occurred here in the United States, the blame would have landed squarely on Blizzard, and a multi-million dollar lawsuit followed by a governmental inquiry into the evils of World of Warcraft (possibly helmed by Tipper Gore) wouldn"t be at all surprising.

ZOMG ME WAN BE FIRE MAGE 2

I think he is just using WOW as a scapegoat for his....how to say

poor sportsmanship / sore loser attitude...

Thats the sort of typical thing to blame on a videogame...

What next? Oh Johnny went on a rampage, and killed 47 people, 12 cops, and destroyed 4 cars, and robbed a bank....he says it was GTA that made him do it....bulllllllllllllllshitttttttttttttttttttt

As much as i hate wow, i still think its fucking stupid that kids blame their actions on it. Maybe the game did give him the idea, but its not like it brainwashed him and forced him to do it, he made that choice to do what he done himself. He should just grow up and take responsibility

Edited by Sean.

• 2 weeks later...