Big Changes

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the Video Walkthrough idea. It's actually a really, really nice idea, but the thing is, I don't own any of the 3 GTA Games on my PC. If we were to make a video walkthrough, we could perhaps add it to the original walkthrough that was in text, which could explain it if you're a reader, but not a watcher. So if we were to have this, we need someone who's good at GTA (Well aren't we all... :P) and could possibly do it without cheating.

It's a nice idea, plus it could get more members on here if they don't understand how they should do the mission. Plus, if someone is struggling with a mission, we could just show that video. But there's also problems with that too. Visitors especially won't join us since we have these video's, so basically, their problem would be solved, but it's still good to get these unique visits. So in the end, I'm not sure whether we should do this, it's a prime example of a unique thing we could have, but getting right people to dedicate their time would be difficult.

Just a suggestion.

yay!

Gawd you can't joke around here anymore :P

Back on topic?

Phew. *wipes sweat off*....everywhere.

About the Video Walkthrough idea. It's actually a really, really nice idea, but the thing is, I don't own any of the 3 GTA Games on my PC. If we were to make a video walkthrough, we could perhaps add it to the original walkthrough that was in text, which could explain it if you're a reader, but not a watcher. So if we were to have this, we need someone who's good at GTA (Well aren't we all... :P) and could possibly do it without cheating.

It's a nice idea, plus it could get more members on here if they don't understand how they should do the mission. Plus, if someone is struggling with a mission, we could just show that video. But there's also problems with that too. Visitors especially won't join us since we have these video's, so basically, their problem would be solved, but it's still good to get these unique visits. So in the end, I'm not sure whether we should do this, it's a prime example of a unique thing we could have, but getting right people to dedicate their time would be difficult.

Just a suggestion.

That's actually an interesting idea..I mean, it is possible. Right, since people can video their stunt vids. But how long would this take lol, like going through the whole film?

Edited by Nate14

Group name indicator? Usernames are different colours in the active users lists AND next to your post WITH an icon - all telling you which group someone's in. Surely you don't need more help than that? Unless you mean on the active userlist to show that red=admin, green=supermod, orange=section-moderator and bold=elite?

That is hardly a suggestion for "change" - just a gimmiky mod used on tiny forums. We're talking about deep-rooted changes of the ethics and culture of the forum, changing the focus of posts and redirecting the attention and respect paid to various things. Not a legend for username colours.

We know how to use IPB, and we know what mods we want installed, I'm pretty sure we don't need your admin suggestions all the time. I don't mean to sound rude, but it isn't nice having someone telling you how to do your job (like I do to Chris all the time).

I still think it's the common interest in GTA that brought most of us here, we just tend to be a little off topic.

Consider this as thinking out loud -

I don't know how much work this would be, but what about a "Members Only" class of forums, between the open forums

& private. Members in good standing could go & get access to things like the "walk through" (good idea, the "Official" guides

seem to be getting progressively worse, VCS being a good example if you play on PS2) & other member made GTA related

things. People can still look around in the open forums (F&G, Gameplay & Help, etc) & have access to the download section.

Group name indicator? Usernames are different colours in the active users lists AND next to your post WITH an icon - all telling you which group someone's in. Surely you don't need more help than that? Unless you mean on the active userlist to show that red=admin, green=supermod, orange=section-moderator and bold=elite?

1. I wasn't telling you how to do your jobs. So lets drop that one.

2. I am not trying to be rude :)

3. Actually the Admin group is hex colored. The admin group is #c11b17.

:rolleyes:

I still think it's the common interest in GTA that brought most of us here, we just tend to be a little off topic.

Consider this as thinking out loud -

I don't know how much work this would be, but what about a "Members Only" class of forums, between the open forums

& private. Members in good standing could go & get access to things like the "walk through" (good idea, the "Official" guides

seem to be getting progressively worse, VCS being a good example if you play on PS2) & other member made GTA related

things. People can still look around in the open forums (F&G, Gameplay & Help, etc) & have access to the download section.

Your completely correct, we all signed up for this forum because we we're interested in GTA -- not because we wanted to talk in the General Discussion forums.

Anyways, I have a suggestion, its just a thought so don't kill me if its a bad idea: how about we require 100 posts from all of our new members before they're allowed to post in the General Discussion forums? It'd set them up to posting in the GTA sections, (so they'd be used to it by the time they hit 100), plus it makes all of our older members want to post in the GTA sections if we want to talk to one of the newer guys...

I'm pretty sure anyone wanting video walkthroughs just goes to gtamissions.com these days, or gta-junkies since they seem to have hijacked the guy who does them. I guess I could email him though and see if he'd let us use his videos.

What I'm saying is there's no point doing something that's already been done. It's a great idea for the improvement of content on the website though.

Misho I like your idea but I've never been big into the whole you must have xx posts to access this section. From past experience, members tend to see it negatively and think along the lines of "fuck this, I'm forced to post xx posts just to get access to those forums? I'm going to GTA[websitename] instead".

Anyways, I have a suggestion, its just a thought so don't kill me if its a bad idea: how about we require 100 posts from all of our new members before they're allowed to post in the General Discussion forums? It'd set them up to posting in the GTA sections, (so they'd be used to it by the time they hit 100), plus it makes all of our older members want to post in the GTA sections if we want to talk to one of the newer guys...

That'd make people hate this place. The first impression is what makes a person come back. If they get a negative feeling as soon as they've registered then they'll probably just think 'f*** you', leave and go to another forum.

Longer waiting time for the next post you make if you don't have more then 50 posts in any of the GTA sections (including the news forums).

No acces to the store, gangs and arcade without at least 20 posts in any of the GTA sections. Again, that includes the GTA news forums.

Just some random thoughts.. you'all might find them crap though..

The outcome of a postcount-based restriction is obvious: spam.

How long does it take someone to make the connection between "I need 50 posts" to "I'm going to make 50 posts"? SPOILER:

not long

That is quite a negative option - restricting availability. Can we not turn that into a positive, and offer rewards to the elite few who contribute exceptionally? But that is only an incentive to a handful who aim for that, we need to entice the rest of them.

One idea I had ages ago was that brand new members would go into a sub-member group that had access to most places but not access to all the features. Eg they can't post new topics (except in GTA areas) or they cant use PMs or upload images or whatever. To progress into "real members" (full access, like normal) they have to simply prove to any supermod that they're a real half-decent member. That doesn't mean they have to be perfect or worthy of elitehood or anything, just proving that they aren't spammers or anybody. So sub-members with 10 posts automatically go into a queue which supermods can look at and approve people for becoming full members, or ban them if they're spammers.

JUST a suggestion, so feel free to rip it to shreds. Hopefully we'll end up with a good idea eventually.

That actually seems more of a positive idea.

But ahh, still..members coming here, instantly angered not being able to do this or that. I'm not sure if that's how the outcome could go though..since we all did come here for GTA maybe it'd be good having them just put in the GTA sections.

Good or bad outcome, it could go either way. I still like that idea though.

I can't agree with the accessibility idea, it's just not what a forum would do. It's best to let the members (Including new members) see the full forum rather than accessing only a few categories. I for one think it should be left the way it is. It then feels like there’s no point then of even coming on the forums if there's no access to other forums, sometimes members aren't interested in GTA, and I think it's completely fine not to be. Some of the female members are on here and a few of them like GTA, but some of them don't even reply to topics in the GTA Gaming Category, only the General Discussion Forums.

If this was to be implemented, then I can't see how we are going to get 2 different genders on the forum. It would mean that there's only 1 gender, and that's Male. Some of the female members are over 100 posts, but I can't entirely agree with it that new members can't access other forums than the GTA Gaming Category. It's just not right in my opinion. We could give it a go, but sometimes, members want be part of a community, so why can't they be part of it, rather than going through GTA? I might have to think it through thoroughly.

sometimes members aren't interested in GTA, and I think it's completely fine not to be

I'm struggling to cope with that. This is a GTA site and a GTA forum about GTA. That was meant to be the one thing we have in common. I don't mean that we HAVE to talk about GTA all the time, but surely doing that once in a while is a minimum requirement?

That suggestion wasn't meaning they couldn't read anything apart from GTA - that's silly. Just that they couldn't post in a small number of areas (eg Offtopic area, gangs, suggestions), or create topics until they'd proven they weren't a spammer.

TM - you seem to think that the way we have everything now is good because people don't have to talk about GTA and they can just sit and be off-topic all the time. I agree with the community aspect, and that we have off-topic facilities, but the lack of GTA orientation is degrading this community. Do you think we should do nothing and just allow (or even encourage) our members just to be off topic all the time? If not, what would you like the changes to achieve?

I'm struggling to cope with that. This is a GTA site and a GTA forum about GTA. That was meant to be the one thing we have in common. I don't mean that we HAVE to talk about GTA all the time, but surely doing that once in a while is a minimum requirement?

I'm barely posting in the GTA sections. GTA San Andreas Gameplay & Help now and then. But I'm not posting in the GTA IV section at all. Probably it's already said (Rockstarrem ?), but there really is nothing for me to post about. And even when the game is released I'll just be like "oh, that's cool", "great that they added that", "cool vid" cause I don't, and I don't plan to either, own any ps3 or 360 and will just be waiting for Rockstar to listen to the people who wish to have a PC release (I'm pretty sure it'll come TBH). As soon as there is a PC release people will start modding the game too (if it's still the easy to mod game like the Renderware powered GTA's were) and because of that making these forums attract more people.

I came to this site when just googling for mods, but since the San Andreas section can be compared to good ol' gramps there really is little to it.

I know this is a GTA site, but we're basically just waiting for info and in the mean time talk about irrelivant stuff until the wait is over.

sometimes members aren't interested in GTA, and I think it's completely fine not to be

That suggestion wasn't meaning they couldn't read anything apart from GTA - that's silly. Just that they couldn't post in a small number of areas (eg Offtopic area, gangs, suggestions), or create topics until they'd proven they weren't a spammer.

TM - you seem to think that the way we have everything now is good because people don't have to talk about GTA and they can just sit and be off-topic all the time. I agree with the community aspect, and that we have off-topic facilities, but the lack of GTA orientation is degrading this community. Do you think we should do nothing and just allow (or even encourage) our members just to be off topic all the time? If not, what would you like the changes to achieve?

Well, I personally don't believe it's right. Probably doing this might start off something new, but seeing members restricted isn't what their membership is about. If I can remember so, one site (Not based on GTA) actually does this suggestion you thought up, Gerard. The thing is, they want mature members, not the immature members that spam, I can completely agree that we don't want immature members on here, but the webmaster of that site give a restriction to members to post only in the forums that they could view. I of course was new at the time so what I did was post about until I reached the maximum posts to be promoted to becoming a original member. But here's the thing, their wasn't much categories, nor sub-forums which made me say; "Wtf, what's the point of even coming here when they said there was more sub-forums? This is completely whack" - Well, I never exactly said that, but sort of in a way.

Since we don't have much categories and forums under them, what's the point in implementing it? That forum got closed down since it wasn't receiving the members they wanted, and I would blame it on that system they placed for it. I don't mind if it happens, but if you think about what new members or members under the requirements say, they'd leave this place and go to another site instead. Some guests that register don't post, but sometimes lurk about. Sometimes, even the lurkers don't look at just GTA, they would look for other stuff that non-related to GTA (Like if there's a web design topic in here, the member would check it out). You gotta think about the guests, members (That might be under the requirements) and the lurkers, because sometimes, people don't want to discuss GTA or Off-topic, they might just want to find something and solve it.

I really think the idea is good, but If you think about the side affects, it could completely drive us away from getting members.