Red ring of death

MeL

Well i recently got a Xbox 360 about a week ago and every thing worked fine and i played alot.

On Friday while i was playing it i froze for no reason and so i just restarted my 360 and started to play again, but after 7min of playing it froze again! so i poped out the disk looked at it and it was totally fine but i tried a different game just to see if it was the disk and what do ya know it froze again after like 5 minutes it even froze when only on the dashboard. Next i called support and they told my to take the hard drive and all of the cords out and and try again and it still froze.

I called again and i had to talk to this guy i couldent even understand very well while i was just about to hang up i turned my Xbox on and i got this,

red_ring_of_deathsze.jpg

I told him and he said that they would ship a box to me so i could send my xbox to them for free repair and he said i could take 3 weeks for my to get it back and i have known others who have had this happen 3 times to them im just hoping their lieing. For now im just going to go back to the ole reliable ps2.

Edited by MeL

Hm, my Xbox 360 was manufactured in March of 2005 and I've never ever had a problem with it, overheating or otherwise, and at one point I gave it to my Dad who had it on carpet, constantly on for over a week.

Yea, while i was on the phone the guy asked me when i got it and i said about a week ago and was like really? you would think they would fix this problem after it being out for a while now.

I'm on my second one, I sent mine in and the bastards sent me back one that didn't match the hard drive, (at the top, that grill-type thing thats also at the bottom, it can either be a shinny silver or a normal one like the new systems), so I was kind of pissed at that. But my second hasn't had a problem yet, so I'm happy. (I've had my second one for nearly a year now.)

I'm on my second one, I sent mine in and the bastards sent me back one that didn't match the hard drive, (at the top, that grill-type thing thats also at the bottom, it can either be a shinny silver or a normal one like the new systems), so I was kind of pissed at that. But my second hasn't had a problem yet, so I'm happy. (I've had my second one for nearly a year now.)

When you sent yours in did they need everything of just the system without the hard drive and cords?

Hm, my Xbox 360 was manufactured in March of 2005 and I've never ever had a problem with it, overheating or otherwise, and at one point I gave it to my Dad who had it on carpet, constantly on for over a week.

Isn't that around when it was released? I heard that there were barely any messed up ones with the first few batches released, but others got messed up.

The few people that I know that got them when they first came out have had no problems with there’s, where as friends of mine that have gotten them a year or so ago have had problems such as the ring of death.

So from my understanding, you got a good one...so you shouldn't worry about it breaking...and if it does...wow...

When you sent yours in did they need everything of just the system without the hard drive and cords?

I sent in the hard drive and the console, I'm quite sure I left the cords and controllers at home. I think they even told me to take off the faceplate. I was returned a completely different console with a different hard drive too (it had a faceplate on it, now I have two), but after reading some posts on the Xbox.com forum, I don't think they need your hard drive. I'd ask a few guys there just to be sure, or even call up support again.

Isn't that around when it was released? I heard that there were barely any messed up ones with the first few batches released, but others got messed up.

The few people that I know that got them when they first came out have had no problems with there’s, where as friends of mine that have gotten them a year or so ago have had problems such as the ring of death.

So from my understanding, you got a good one...so you shouldn't worry about it breaking...and if it does...wow...

The launch consoles are actually the ones that do screw up, the newer models don't I believe. Mine was made in July of 2006 (I think), and hasn't had any problems.

I sent in the hard drive and the console, I'm quite sure I left the cords and controllers at home. I think they even told me to take off the faceplate. I was returned a completely different console with a different hard drive too (it had a faceplate on it, now I have two), but after reading some posts on the Xbox.com forum, I don't think they need your hard drive. I'd ask a few guys there just to be sure, or even call up support again.

I think i herd the guy on the phone saying they only need the main thing w/o the hard drive. (hope it doesnt take forever to get it back)

EDIT: they better also give me some free LIVE cause it broke the day after i just put in a year.

Edited by MeL

lol.

Seems like every Christmas console is doing this. Six of my friends (from all around the world) got X360's for Christmas, and they are all stuffing up. I think Microsoft should stop sales and fix them all up. I mean it'll save them replacement costs, and most probably save money on free stuff there giving out to the people with the problem.

The only thing good about all of this is that you get it repaired for free which is very good in my opinion. And as Dazza said they should stop sales and fix this problem rather than wasting their money on repairing costs. I doubt they will do this but can see MS losing quite a bit of money on the repair costs.

Just wondering do any of you guys think the ELITE will have similar/same problems?

lol.

Seems like every Christmas console is doing this. Six of my friends (from all around the world) got X360's for Christmas, and they are all stuffing up. I think Microsoft should stop sales and fix them all up. I mean it'll save them replacement costs, and most probably save money on free stuff there giving out to the people with the problem.

When my dad went to work today one of his work friends said they went through 3 of em. The xbox 360 has been out for like 2 years now? and there still to lazy to solve the problem you would think they would stop production and DO SOMETHING but nope oh well let themselves fuck up :P

Well, my 360 was manufactured on the 24th of June and I bought it in July. In November the red lights appeared. I sent it in Late November without the hardrive, the faceplate or anything else and it never returned. I contacted Microsoft a few days ago and they said my 360 had been there for ages, except they couldn't identify our Reference number properly, so they said it would be fixed and sent back by January 10th.

I think I heard somewhere that when they send you it back, they also send you a 1 month card for Xbox Live for free. It usually takes about two weeks so its kind of like they're giving you two free weeks I guess. :)

Well thats good to hear, thanks.

Thanks Godfather i have never herd of that so I saw the towel trick and many people have done it and it works but it only lasts like a week till ill have to do it again im just wondering if when i ship my xbox to them that i will an actual working one that i wont have to use the towel trick on.

Edited by MeL

Hey guys, my Xbox 360 returned today! After over a month of waiting they finally repaired it, sent it back and they also sent me free a one month XBL Gold subscription card along with a survey for me to take. They added an internal fan to the system, because now my Xbox 360 is louder then ever! Plus they sort of screwed up my CD tray and it opens slower then normal now.