Video Games = Decrease blood flow

Slyde

Source

People who spend much time playing video games, especially violent video games, may risk damaging brain functions and affect their learning and emotional control, according to findings of a study released Wednesday.

Chou Yuan-hua, a doctor in the Department of Psychiatry of Taipei Veterans General Hospital, enlisted 30 people -- all aged 25 -- as research subjects.

They were given physical examinations to monitor changes in blood circulation in their brains before and after each played a video game for 30 minutes.

The study found that the act of playing video games obviously causes a decreased blood flow in the brain, and that the effect is even more pronounced in those playing violent video games.

Noting that the study focused on subjects who played video games for only 30 minutes, Chou said many youngsters spend far more time on video games each day, unaware that doing so on a long term basis could damage the frontal lobe of the brain, as well as the anterior cingulate gyrus.

He explained that the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex, located at the front of the brain, is associated with thinking, speaking, decision-making and impulse control, while the anterior cingulate gyrus, located in the medial wall of the frontal lobe, modulates internal emotional responses.

Although no conclusions have yet been drawn regarding what might happen if blood flow to these brain areas is diminished frequently, it is already known that frontal lobe damage can leave people emotionally adrift, opening them up to odd mood changes and variations in social behavior and personality.

Chou added that clinical experiences have proven that patients with schizophrenia or depression have significantly lower blood flows in their frontal lobes and anterior cingulate gyruses.

We are all gonna die!!!

Yea, kids die all the time cuz they get addicted to a video game and don't eat/sleep/drink.

And on topic, I think this is all bullshit, I mean if you played violent video games, the flow should increase IMO.

Techinally, some people didn't die from starvation, sleep deprevation, OR dehydration. Some of them actually died from a blood clot in their legs that formed from not moving around for two days straight.

As for this experiment, I call bullshit. As Jace said, they did not observe the subjects doing other activities.

He explained that the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex, located at the front of the brain, is associated with thinking, speaking, decision-making and impulse control, while the anterior cingulate gyrus, located in the medial wall of the frontal lobe, modulates internal emotional responses.

Aren't these usually USED in a violent video game? I mean, decide if you want to risk going round that corner or go search for health first.

Uh, get something straight. It isn't bullshit. It's true. But we have no other activities to compare it with. He should have also tested it for things like, as I said before, reading a book. Until that gets done this whole report is pretty much useless.

Who're you referencing to? I didn't say anything bout it not being true. But yeah, a basis is important. And right now, it's like trying to prove the earth rotates (with nothing around prove it from/with)

Nobody and everybody.

Many seem to think that the results aren't true. But just asume they are. We don't have a basis.

Off topic:

it's like trying to prove the earth rotates (with nothing around prove it from/with)

Gyroscopes FTW :P

Nobody and everybody.

Many seem to think that the results aren't true. But just asume they are. We don't have a basis.

Off topic:

it's like trying to prove the earth rotates (with nothing around prove it from/with)

Gyroscopes FTW :P

We are all gonna die!!!

Atleast I'll die doing something I like :lolbounce: .

Aren't these usually USED in a violent video game? I mean, decide if you want to risk going round that corner or go search for health first.

Well ofc, that happens when non-gamers do research about gamers. Ofc those gaming-sceptics wanna make gaming look bad. Gosh, my brain's much more active when playing shooters than when talking with girls for example :P.

WTF??? Decrease Blood Flow And Brain Functunality??? Maybe A Little, But They Increase Your Brains Reaction Speed, Give You Better Hand-Eye something-or-other, increase happiness :D which decreases the risk of suicidal thoughts (trust me!), increases logic (depending on game of corse). And People Are Always Complaining On How Computer Games Are Bad For You? Only If You Play Too Much. But Then, Too Much Of Anything Is Bad For You!!!

People should stop blaming games for someones psychotic behavior

Yes, Definatly. Where Are The Mothers Of These Kids Who End Up Killing People? Who Sells These Guns? Not GTA, Not Ammunation And You Cant Just Press L2 Or R2 To Spawn A Gun. A Game Doesn't Say: Kill People.

Plenty Of Other People Have Played Violent Games And Not Killed Anyone... Plenty Of People Have Been Violent And Not Played A Violent Game...

I Also Hate It When They Target San Andreas. Ever Played '50 Cent: Bulletproof' Or 'Mortal Combat' (The REALLY Violent One) They Are Worse. If I Had Played More Games I Could Give More Examples.

Edited by Deji

its mind numbing rpg games like Wow that decrease brain fuctionality, becasue there is pretty much no mental stimulation, its just click and let the game do the rest as it repeatedly sends some spell to a gremliny peice of shit till it dies then you move on to the next one and do exactly the same thing. <_< (i would rather shoot my testicles than spend a whole day playing Wow)

with games like gta, you brain is constantly working, and reacting quickly to different situations, which is good for the brain.

get that through your fucking heads you anti-GTA communists!!

(man, im in a bad mood tonight)

If this is true, then I would expect exactly the same thing to happen when watching a TV show, for example. And the effects would be more pronounced in a violent TV show or film. So that means the millions of people watching TV every day are severly damaging their brains? I doubt it. This looks like yet another attempt to condemn violent video games.

Well if it's true, then I should play more because I'm old & it could help my high blood pressure! :thumbsup:

(You wouldn't want anything to happen to your token pensioner would you?)

I don't particularly buy into it, most of the games I get into tend to get the blood flowing pretty good.

Adrenaline FTW!

Bold: :huh: Not sure if you meant that, or.... it's just a case of getting your wording wrong.... :P

Not sure about blood flow, but it sure as hell fucks your wrists up, i think mine got like 20 years older in one day, they crunch way too loud for it to be healthy.

Leave me alone. I'm old! :lol:

No, that was the way it was supposed to be. Must mean something different to you, unless you count when Mamma Kitty

caters my beer/sandwich breaks. (Crazy woman does NOTHING to discourages me, horrible enabler).

My wrists are already FUBAR, just rub w/ opposite thumb (where people try to slit), be surprised how much it helps.

EDIT: Some how, I just knew you would be the one to say something, MLL :hi:

Edited by Urbanoutlaw