Important: Multiplayer / Gang / Store Changes Imminent

Chris

I would like as many people to respond to this as possible because it concerns some pretty major changes that may affect you and please/annoy you depending on how you view things so we'd like your thoughts.

I've come to post this based on things members have said, my own thoughts, and also looking at a number of other large GTA forums. We want to focus more on the community and GTA itself, we want to remove novelties and overall improve the whole culture of the forums.

I've explained the changes I'm planning on making below, and justified the reasoning for each one. Please take all this into consideration before you reply.

Removal of the forum store

The first major change is the removal of the store - for good. This is something I've always had in the back of my mind but never really wanted to because of the potential of the gang system and the fact members seem to like it for some reason. The fact is, it's a novelty and not something we really need anymore. The culture has changed a lot, and earning points for posts isn't a cool thing anymore. I couldn't find one single GTA forum with this mod now, but years ago when we got it it was unique and people loved it. Now, we have no serious use for it, and half of it is broken and will not be fixed (this is out of my hands, it's not my mod).

This brings me on to the change of use for the...

Gang System

This was a mod I made myself to integrate with the store - which unfortunately never got completed and thus I could not complete the gang system. The idea was that you would buy weapons from the store with your points earned through posting, and use them in a text based RPG game against rival gangs - great idea in theory, but there are a number of flaws and things we simply cannot do due to limitations of the PHP programming language.

Now, we would still keep the gang system, however, it would not integrate with the store at all (as it will be gone), instead, it will function as a clan system for your gangs in MTASA/SAMP/VCMP or whatever mod you play GTA multiplayer - and then of course for GTAIV which the vast majority I'd imagine will play online. The main features of joining, kicking out etc would all stay.

Notes:

current gang forums would be archived

gangs with private forums will stay and will still be able to be used

This brings me on to my next change...

GTA Multiplayer Forum

The creation of this forum will be the hub of all our multiplayer GTA topics. It will allow members to recruit other members to their gangs, advertise servers they've created (for SA, VC, GTA3), organise matches (perhaps gang versus, or just random people) and of course just discuss multiplayer GTA in general. Something that's all spread out across the 3 main GTA forums right now, and would all be placed in a single easier to find forum. This forum would likely become far more popular after GTAIV's release for obvious reasons.

MTASA Server

To help boost activity and interest in multiplayer we're looking at starting our own official server for MTA. Most of you would be interested in this, yes?

That's it, hopefully you can see the direction we're looking to take this forum in. I personally feel these changes would have a great impact on the forum. I understand though, that some members will be annoyed, those who've become fond of points for example, and those who for some reason like buying fake items from the store... but yeah. Let us know your thoughts on this so we can make decisions and things.

TL;DR - gonna remove store, gangs gonna be mainly for multiplayer clans, make a gta multiplayer forum for talking about multiplayer gta

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm good question. Well, my idea was that the clans would be all centred here at TGTAP (each GTA site is probably gonna have their own members set up their own clans etc.)... so I guess just ones here at TGTAP, we'd still use the gang system for this, the multiplayer forum is where all the actual recruiting would take place.

I doubt MTASA server would be a good idea, SAMP server is a much better idea. MrLlamaLlama and I checked out MTASA a few days ago, we weren't really impressed with it, SAMP has a lot more pros and less cons than MTA. There you go.

I'm sure a lot more people play SAMP too.

I'm not too sad about the gang system.

Edited by Psycho Connor

To be honest, i think doing servers in SAMP would be a better idea.

- It's more user friendly, IMO

- Not restricted to DM / Racing servers

- More people are familiar with SAMP

- MTA stole valve's fadey Menus (Not really much, but.. still <_<)

- Not sure about it from a coding / server creation / hosting perspective, but at least we've got a full, non test release for SAMP, unlike MTA...

Other than that, I'm all in favour of Multiplayer gangs.

Ah, It'd be much better if it was a SAMP server. I used to have one, it was easy to run and pawn was pretty easy to pick up and I managed to make a little gamemode in less than a few days.

Ah, I will tell you more about our trip to MTASA as well.

1. It took about 20 minutes to get everything installed and get us connected to a server.

2. Figured out that you can't alt+tab out. :(

3. Lagggggg.

4. Some dude's truck was spazzing about at the top of my screen.

5. It took me 5 minutes to get off a bike.

Those are all problems we didn't have when playing SAMP. :P

I have been waiting for the gang wars, I thought they would come sooner or later after the beta tests. But anyways I own all 3 GTA'S for the PC and only used MTA for 3 and VC. Yeah I would prefer SA-MP over MTA. I played MTA SA and it wasn't bad but I liked SA-MP better

Edited by Noru

Am I the only one who doesn't like it that much? Feel rather disappointed.. Always longed for such gangwar, and after those beta tests I thought we'd actually really get it started.

Brings me to something else. You know these SA:MP clans that ask you to register an account at their site and then log in to be able to play? Well, maybe we can (if possible.. maybe it's too difficult) link accounts of TGTAP to such clan and actually use the forum money to buy weapons in SA:MP and steal each others money and weapons in the game too.

Probably it isn't possible, but if it is, that would totally rock.

Damn it, GTA IV needs a PC release...

I don't own any of the GTA Games on my computer, plus my computer sucks pretty big especially since it's old. The idea would be awesome, but I can't even play it which sucks. I think LCF might be able to interact more with this, but this means leaving me out. :( Lol.

you wouldent be the only one since I have none for the computer or the 360 and even if I did I dont have live yet

On first viewing I thought you'd got rid of the Trading Stalls, which I would have had a problem with, but thankfully that hasn't happened - I'm cool with all the other changes.

But getting rid of the store means we don't have points anymore, for reasons I mentioned. We won't have a use for the trading stalls - the only main thing it's used for is for trading graphics now, but that can just be moved to the graphics forum. I don't see why everything has to be done for points, how about some respect - that's far more important.

I don`t have San Andreas for PC. If Huckleberry Pie does, that means he`ll be the only member of the Baywalk Hoodlums that does. That means I`d be left out. :'(

I think the store needs to go, it`s not like we`re gonna have a gang war any time soon.

Yeah, I'm longing for a gang war... I don't have SA on PC, I just play SAMP on my homie's pad, so an SAMP server will do, too...

Alright, guys I've seen a lot of this MTA bashing shit here, I was playing it today and continue to play it, the sync in SA-MP is HORRIBLE, the sync in MTA was PERFECT to me. When I shot someone THEY ACTUALLY DIED! I thought that was pretty cool to be honest. The overall sync is much better, MTA has way more features than SA-MP, they just didn't open them to the public yet (LUA + Map Editor), this is supposed to be a developer preview to find bugs, I've found more bugs in SA-MP then in this MTA preview.

SA-MP will die once MTA DM is fully released, I can guarantee it. It's WAY more flexible and user friendly, I hate to say it but SA-MP WILL die, I seriously have to say this. It may be more popular at the moment, but once people realize that in MTA when you shoot people they die, they'll switch over. I'm not a fanboy in any way to MTA, I'm just telling the truth.