AMD Phenom

Raymond

the first day my friend bought an import PC from US

he had normal specs inside (except VGA and sound card, they are bill in)

when he installed windows vista ultimate edition, it works but after that for an hour, the screen suddenly appears a blue screen of death

what do you all think?

BSoDs are usually caused by driver conflicts - Vista going "omg i dont know what to do" so it kills the PC to stop any damage happening to your hardware.

If he has the most recent drivers installed for everything (especially the CPU and mobo) then you shouldn't have a problem.

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc to see what isnt properly installed.

BSoDs are usually caused by driver conflicts - Vista going "omg i dont know what to do" so it kills the PC to stop any damage happening to your hardware.

If he has the most recent drivers installed for everything (especially the CPU and mobo) then you shouldn't have a problem.

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc to see what isnt properly installed.

I was looking for an answer like this, almost a month ago when my PC got the "blue screen" to prevent more damaged. Was there anyway to get back to your PC when it happened? I had to reinstall Windows, and format...

I was looking for an answer like this, almost a month ago when my PC got the "blue screen" to prevent more damaged. Was there anyway to get back to your PC when it happened? I had to reinstall Windows, and format...

If you can't start windows because it bluescreens at startup, you can usually bypass it by going into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly between startup and before the Windows loading screen and choose "Safe Mode" from the list. This starts Windows up in a mode with reduced functionality, which is just enough for you to remove the drivers/software that is causing the problem, either using system restore or doing it manually.

Sometimes even just removing the hardware that is causing the problem (new graphics card, printer, whatever) can work.

my friend had reformat for lots of times but the BS is still back, can you help my friend out?

The fact that it happens every time he installs windows on that PC means that the problem is something to do with the hardware he has or the software he is putting on it, not just windows randomly breaking.

Tell him to remove everything he doesnt need from his PC. Remove printers, graphics cards (only if he has a graphics port on his main motherboard as well), sound cards (if its removable) etc etc. If it still doesn't work, get him to remove all the software he's put on that might interfere with windows. You can also uninstall drivers from devmgmt.msc

If the problem means he can't start windows at all, follow the advice at the top of this post.

Reformatting gets rid of drivers, and we have said (maybe more than once) that this is caused by driver confluicts, or having no drivers. Make sure you have drivers installed

Formatting actually wipes the hard drive empty. You don't need to do that every time you install windows.

If you try to reinstall windows and theres already a copy of windows on there, you can tell it to delete the old one, move the old one (which is what Vista does) or just install the new one in a separate partition. ALL of those 3 keep your files, but the first 2 mean you can't use that copy of windows or any of the programs installed on it anymore.

If you can't start windows because it bluescreens at startup, you can usually bypass it by going into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly between startup and before the Windows loading screen and choose "Safe Mode" from the list. This starts Windows up in a mode with reduced functionality, which is just enough for you to remove the drivers/software that is causing the problem, either using system restore or doing it manually.

When I tried safe mode, I got the blue screen 10 after logging in. If I didn't use safe mode then I still get the blue Screen but when the Windows Vista Logo appeared. There also wasn't any system restore point, and I wonder why there wasn't. Is Vista different when it comes to system restore points?

Edited by Charger