Level 82 on Vigilante

zmoonchild

I reached Level 82 on Vigilante using the exact same Las Venturas Police Car only, and no other vehicle.

That’s when my game finally crashed.

I know that Level 82 may not sound that high, but most records that are higher are based on abandoning a vehicle for a new one, or using the Hunter or Rhino; I didn’t do that, I used the same car for the entire run. Also, I didn’t have unlimited ammo, so I had to constantly find more.

I wanted to say that the Police Car definitely ‘hardened’ as the levels progressed. It was either OrionSR or GTA_Phreak (my apologies for forgetting who said it) that stated that a Hunter would take less damage as the mission progressed; that was definitely the case with the Police Car I used.

Bullets and crashes seemed to have no effect on the car.

vigilantelevel82qb6.th.jpg

vigilantelevel13pd4.th.jpg vigilantelevel22of5.th.jpg

vigilantelevel31gc5.th.jpg vigilantelevel42qd6.th.jpg

vigilantelevel47abk0.th.jpg vigilante61eb6.th.jpg

vigilante76gq2.th.jpg

I also had a strange glitch occur:

I was well into the mission (I forgot which level) and I was in Las Payasadas near the large chicken with the bobbing head.

All of a sudden, a pedestrian said “They’ll give a Pilots License to anyone these days.”

I wasn’t near the airport, and I didn’t notice if it was the same person that says that near the airport gate.

I saved a snapshot for every level increase, so I can post those as well; that's over 80 snapshots.

NO CHEATS and no mods were used.

my only question is, howcome your're game keeps crashing when you reach high levels, that must be annoying.

I have done some searching for that, and others have told me that all platforms (PC, XBox, and PlayStation 2) will eventually crash on the Vigilante Mission; it has something to do with the fact that more information is going through the processor than the programmers had originally intended, or something to that effect.

The higher the Mission goes, the more the screen starts to flutter, and if you go high enough than the only vehicles that will spawn anymore are the Suspect vehicles, no police or other traffic or pedestrians.

It's just glitch. My PC operates fine all the time, except when I go too high in the Vigilante Missions. It happens to everyone.

The only known way to deal with it is to take a break when the screen starts to flutter, and let the game just settle down a little; not by pausing the game, but by going to a separate location in the game where the police and suspects are not around, and letting the game just continue while you sit there, that's provided you have enough time to do that.

Edited by zmoonchild

That would explain why I haven't been hit w/ the glitch (up to level 148/$1mil bounty). As I get extra time built up, I take

my vehicle (usually a Rhino) to one of my save houses & stick it in a garage (quick free repairs) & change clothes to clear

my warrant. I can usually get back into the tank w/ 10-15 seconds to spare.

Nice job BTW, I think if I can get some spare time I'll try to get some insane vigilante level & screenshots.

Show these kids the old man's got game.

my only question is, howcome your're game keeps crashing when you reach high levels, that must be annoying.

I have done some searching for that, and others have told me that all platforms (PC, XBox, and PlayStation 2) will eventually crash on the Vigilante Mission; it has something to do with the fact that more information is going through the processor than the programmers had originally intended, or something to that effect.

The higher the Mission goes, the more the screen starts to flutter, and if you go high enough than the only vehicles that will spawn anymore are the Suspect vehicles, no police or other traffic or pedestrians.

It's just glitch. My PC operates fine all the time, except when I go too high in the Vigilante Missions. It happens to eveyone.

The only known way to deal with it is to take a break when the screen strarts to flutter, and let the game just settle down a little; not by pausing the game, but by going to a separate location in the game where the police and suspects are not around, and letting the game just continue while you sit there, that's provided you have enough time to do that.

That would explain why I can't usually get past about level 25 without the damn game crashing! On my system, I usually get crashes much sooner than that however - 25 is just the highest I've managed since modding changes went in. With all the mods I've added, it seems to aggravate the problem. I'm pretty sure about this cuz the crash seems to hit when one of the modded vehicles is used by the criminals. The last couple times it's been bucking whenever they're driving Emperor cars that I've modded to Dodge Vipers. Just yesterday I was trying and I managed to close in on them with a Rhino and blow them away but the red pointer over the cars remained! When I wheeled around to try and shoot again, the game crashed. Damn annoying but I'm only farting around so no big deal but would be nice to see how far I can go without problems. Trying with the Hunter is no better either - same stuff happens there.

And yes, the same thing seems to happen on the PS2. I got the crashes there too but they took longer to kick in.

When I did the Vigilante mission before modding, I was able to get to level 36 without trouble and I only quit because CJ was getting hungry. In Vice City, the same crashes would happen after I had modded the Hunter to the Harrier jet.

The only Vigilante mission that worked flawlessly for me was playing Vice City on the PS2 where I could go on for hours with trouble.

RanxeroX - I think I know how to fix your problem. You said you replaced the Emperor w/ a Viper, try replacing it w/

a 4-door car like a Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger or Dodge Magnum (all newer models). I ran into similar glitches in

VC when I swapped cars in it.

Yes, I think you're right... Hours after posting, it came to me that I'd read somewhere never to replace a 4-door with a 2-door or problems will happen when the game tries to have people getting out of the car. To test that, I put the original Emperor back and had another go. This time, when I tried with the Rhino, I was able to hit level 327 before getting busted by accident, when I got caught up in a traffic pileup. So it looks like that was the cause of the problem. It also worked later when I tried with the Hunter and got to over level 400.

What really ticks me off is that I DL'ed that mod and that was the car the guy chose to replace! :pissedred: Stupid amateur!

So for anyone who downloads the Dodge_Viper_Barndelie.rar mod, replace some other car besides the Emperor or you'll have similar troubles.

Glad to help. Suggest if anybody wants to use that Viper they replace cars like the Fortune (early '90s T-Bird) or Cadrona

(early '90s Chevy Cavalier). Replacing 2-door cars w/ 4-door cars shouldn't cause you any problems (at least from my

experience w/ modding VC).

Edited by Urbanoutlaw