SCEA To Comment On 80GB PS3 Discontinuation "Soon"

Mpilk901

Yesterday, an anonymous Best Buy employee leaked a store scan that showed the retailer was planning to discontinue the 80GB PS3 model. It was "going closeout," and as of January 28 - which is next week - the model would no longer be available in their stores.

Sony has yet to comment on the matter, but ShackNews is reporting that SCEA will make an announcement over at the official PlayStation blog "soon." At this point, we're assuming Sony is only going to confirm what we already know- that they're halting distribution of the 80GB PS3 for good. They've already done it with the two previous models (60GB, 20GB), and they said at the time of the 40GB unveiling that it would eventually become the lone model available to consumers. However, they have also said they will "continue to evaluate consumer demand and market trends," and may introduce more PlayStation 3 models in the future based on that feedback.

So while that official reply isn't up at the PS blog just yet, we'd strongly suggest picking up an 80GB PS3 while you still have the chance. It probably won't be around for much longer; Best Buy is likely only the first retailer to drop the thing.

Could the only PS3 model left be the 40GB soon? Opinions.

Link to article.

There are many rumors going around that since Time Warner (WB) went Blu-ray exclusive, part of the deal was for Sony to release a $299.99 PlayStation 3. And since production costs went down HEAVILY, and since Sony made a newer, thinner Blu-ray Disc laser-reader thing, I can see it happening. Apparently the announcement would be coming very soon (next week). I heard this over at one of the many HD movie fansites, and I wouldn't doubt it. The guys over at these sites have a lot of insider sources and have predicted business moves by Toshiba, Sony, and a bunch of other movie studios before.

Still though, take it with a grain of salt.

I remember a quote a while back from Phil Harrison, saying something like 'having numerous PS3 models on the market only serves to confuse the customers', and then a few short months after that, there were 4 different PS3 models on the market - 20GB, 40GB, 60GB and 80GB. He's a cretin, and I despise him. It's a bad move by Sony this, they should have stuck to the 60GB as it was beginning to pick up the pace, sales wise, and then they bin it soon after the price was lowered. I'm quite angry at them for this.

^ Lol what a coincidence, your both from Portugal and both joined June last year.

Anyway having a lone PS3 is not that bad, it will mean less confusion to consumers. The 360 has so many versions people will get confused. I think the 80GB was doing too well thats why plus the 40GB is cheaper.

And, you know, they're related... They're cousins, dude. :D

But yeah, not quite sure why this is... it can't cost that much more to produce an 80... can it? Meh, they'll only lose sales if they do... and that's something they can't really afford... :mellow: