GTA IV Mulitiplayer only for the 360?

MarkD1990

Don Mattrick may have let slip something that he shouldn't have: that the online multiplayer portion of Grand Theft Auto IV will only be available on 360.

Speaking on a Major Nelson podcast the two Microsoft execs spend most of the time saying the word 'Microsoft' (count 'em) and patting each other on the back about how great 360 is doing. And why wouldn't they?

But then the conversation moves to great games and, quite rightly, GTA IV springs up.

Mattrick says that it's "an amazing piece of software and I'm really excited with its downloadable content and online multiplayer support. Again, that's something that's unique to 360." He added, "We think consumers are going to love that and it's going to create, what I would describe again as the premium experience on our platform."

Hit the link above and skip towards the end. Take it with a pinch of salt for the time being, we reckon. On a side note, we finally got to play GTA IV yesterday for the first time. Keep you eyes peeled for our impressions going live soon.

Plus theres a link to the Convo above

Source: CVG

Edited by mark866

R* isnt stupid... they wouldnt put the online on the shit system....the only reason they would... would be b/c no one is gonna get it on 360 and they have to bribe people to buy that version... idk why anyone would... wouldn't you rather play with better internet, better graphics, better speeds, better controls, and better everything on the ps3? or is that just me... this game shouldnt even be on the 360.... pointless it cant handle this kind of game its crap...

R* isnt stupid... they wouldnt put the online on the shit system....the only reason they would... would be b/c no one is gonna get it on 360 and they have to bribe people to buy that version... idk why anyone would... wouldn't you rather play with better internet, better graphics, better speeds, better controls, and better everything on the ps3? or is that just me... this game shouldnt even be on the 360.... pointless it cant handle this kind of game its crap...

Don;t flame the 360 system, because mayb you don't know this but the screenshots of GTA IV and the trailers were created using the XBOX 360 Console.

The flaming has been taking care of, carry on on the actual discussion please.

sure...

So both will get multiplayer, and the 360 gets "unique" DLC...which could mean that the ps3 will also get DLC, possibly less of. Also, the latest game master mag says that the 360 only will get to exclusive missions, and missions are usually 5-10 mins long. On top of that, according to the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine... GTA 1 and GTA 2 [and street fighter alpha] are coming to the psn very soon.

GTA IV 360 online exclusivity denied

Suggestions by Xbox chief Don Mattrick that online multiplayer functionality in 'Grand Theft Auto IV' will be exclusively available on Xbox 360 have been rubbished by Rockstar Games.

Mattrick made the comments yesterday during an interview with Larry 'Major Nelson' Hyrb, during which he also spoke about his reasons for coming over to the Redmond-based company.

Rockstar has since confirmed to US Industry publication Next-Gen that online multiplayer will feature on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions - though exact details for how it is being implemented into the highly anticipated title is being held back for now.

Despite Rockstar's clarification, the Xbox 360 version of 'GTA IV' will receive two exclusive sets of downloadable content, due for release several months after the launch of the game in April.

Source: Virgin Media

Keep fanboyism out of the discussion please. Thanks. For the record, all these amazing videos and images of GTA IV you're probably drooling over, were in fact produced on the 360. And "better internet" is dependant on your internet.... What the hell the consoles have to do with that is beyond me.

I'm probably getting the 360 version, just for the sake of the price of the console. So regardless, it doesn't really make a difference for me. Making online play exclusive, though, would be a stupid idea.

I'm getting the 360 version, only because I have a 360, if I had a PS3, I'd be getting a PS3 version. They both have their pros and cons. I'm not really bothered whether the PS3 version is better or not. I'm just getting GTA IV. I wouldn't really be bothered if either didn't have multiplayer.

Really? Wow, I thought like literally everyone wanted multiplayer. And pretty much all current gen games have multiplayer and everyone I know with a 360 or PS3 plays online, I don't know anyone who doesn't in fact.

I would be really annoyed if they didn't put multiplayer in, then it means we'd have to wait years for a PC release and then for the MTA and SAMP teams to develop a mod which most likely wouldn't be as easy as it was for the gta3 series.

LOL'd

But yeah, as both systems are capable of the same multiplayer and R* was only paid $50,000,000 for the DLC exclusivity, there will be mp on both systems, which is a good thing considering the PS3 needs a title like this.

If only both consoles could have interoperability...

LOL'd

But yeah, as both systems are capable of the same multiplayer and R* was only paid $50,000,000 for the DLC exclusivity, there will be mp on both systems, which is a good thing considering the PS3 needs a title like this.

If only both consoles could have interoperability...

If only, but that ain't gonna happen.

Knew that statement was referring to the DLC. Come on, what's the point of including multiplayer on only one version of a game, especially when both versions are being released on the same day?