My new guitar

Davve

And why would it matter? His complaint was the noise bothering his family, so that's the solution. Distortion would be definitely out of the question. And the acoustic would probably be too loud, also. You can play the electric unplugged and still hear the tone and know whether or not you're playing correctly. You can still play distorted stuff, you just won't have the distortion. If you're imaginative enough, it won't dampen your practice and/or experience.

Besides, he doesn't have one, which means he PROBABLY doesn't know how to play yet, which means distortion is entirely meaningless to him right now. Just ignore distortion, or any effect, until you can play a bit. It will just mess you up. There's NO need to have effects until you can play something to use them on.

Not really, acoustic (when played with fingers) is really quiet. As quiet as an electric unplugged. But acoustic can be quite louder when using a pick. Unlike the electric one, lacking the acoustic box.

And there is one important thing about acoustic guitars - the strings are harder to press and less tolerant to bad pressing, thus require better playing technique. So it's a great start. All the people I know that pwn electric guitars these days have started on acoustic first, developing a much better technique. Not to mention acoustics are good for playing to your friends from time to time. SO yeah, if he's new, I strongly require an acoustic for a start, atleast for a few months so he develops a decent technique. Or if you wish to skip that step just go to the garage and turn the volume up :D.

Oh, and distortion comes into play very soon, pretty much all of it are power chords which are easy to learn.

Distortion shouldn't be used anywhere near the beginning of learning, except for just playing around. Hardly anything actually sounds bad with distortion. Seriously, you can just hammer on the strings with heavy distortion and it will sound like some type of crazy metal solo. I'd suggest learning how to kick out some bad ass tunes and then playing with distortion and different effects.

And you don't need an acoustic to jam your friends out without electricity. There's always hollow-bodies.

Like this Epiphone.

278px-Guitar_Epiphone_01.jpg

Oh, and distortion comes into play very soon, pretty much all of it are power chords which are easy to learn.

Power chords are lame.

the good thing about my guitar is that you can switch it to acoustic.

You have an electric acoustic? Or a hollow-body? I prefer the hollow-body guitars, myself. Similar concept, but not quite as loud.

How are powerchords lame? A lot of good songs use powerchords...

Doesnt make power chords any better.

are you thinking of bar chords?

Power chords are lame.

You have an electric acoustic? Or a hollow-body? I prefer the hollow-body guitars, myself. Similar concept, but not quite as loud.

i have all types. let me list:

acoustic(my moms really old one from mexico)

acoustic electric (ibanez)

steal (its hand made from a long time ago from my grandpas brother)

hollowbody (epiphone sheraton, like a 335)

piezo/magnetic (the one i posted)

electric (kramer fly)

the piezo/magnetic is the most expensive one i have, being that it is the bestest guitar in my opinion, and it also has the piezo, making it sound exactly like an electric when its hooked up to an amp on clean. you can switch in between regular electric stereo, electric/magnetic mono, piezo, or piezo+elec/mag.

its fun to put on a metal sound and set it to elec/mag+piezo, its a really hard, yet buzzy, sound.

Edited by tilly

And you don't need an acoustic to jam your friends out without electricity. There's always hollow-bodies.

So they sound like an electric but more quiet and no need to plug it anywhere? (I'm not familiar with hollow bodies, and I doubt I'd find many of those here).

So they sound like an electric but more quiet and no need to plug it anywhere? (I'm not familiar with hollow bodies, and I doubt I'd find many of those here).

They are pretty much smaller electric-acoustics. It's an electric guitar, with a hollow body, so it can still reverberate sound without the amp plugged in. Like I said, not as loud, but nice for songs that don't need loud guitar riffs and shit.