Driving cars around Liberty City

MarkD1990

You'll probably notice the biggest changes in the feel of GTA IV is when you get in a vehicle. It's much more realistic, making the faster cars and bikes more difficult to control and the difference between models more noticeable. It still felt fun but don't rely on that handbrake when cornering.

Quote from Games Master

Edited by mark866

Obviously in the case of SA, R* were more than a little inspired by the popularity of 'The Fast & the Furious' & the resulting games. But even with features like N20 & warp speed style visuals, I am yet to feel as exhilirated whilst racing around a GTA map as I have whilst playing any of the Burnout titles. Of course I'm not saying that the Burnout series is a patch on the GTA back catalogue, but R* have yet to leave me sat in a pool of my own sweat, struggling for breathe & my heart beating like a drum somewhere on the floor in front of me.

I don't know what it is about GTA games but the driving system has never felt all that rewarding. Perhaps it's because the ped drivers are such unpredictable maniacs, that any seemingly nice manouvres come about more often from luck than by judgement. I found it a great shame that the thought of replaying racing side missions & improving my personal best left me cold, when It could have been a great excuse to keep comming back to San Andreas.

So my fingers are firmly crossed that, the new physics, improved detail & AI will help make the racing/chase sections of the game just that bit more enthraling than in previous incarnations. I know that R* have never claimed to be making a racing title, but they have always tried to assimilate features from other genres for the betterment of the GTA experience & I feel that the inclussion of improved racing is one of those steps that really would put the icing on the cake.

Edited by Swifty

but R* have yet to leave me sat in a pool of my own sweat, struggling for breathe & my heart beating like a drum somewhere on the floor in front of me.

For your case, I hope that doesn't happen.

lol

I havent found driving to be a problem. I'm a big fan of driving / racing games. I've found it fun driving around GTA maps in past games, but I know what your saying about it being fun - it can be, but there is something missing most of the time, I dont know what, probably a bit of realism - but its been very good for so far for what they've had to work with.

In GTA 4 I'm hoping for some more realism - feeling of speed, difficulty in different cars, which has been mentioned is happening in IV. As long as the cars have a few more different noises, and just feel a bit more realisitc to drive then I'll be happy.

but R* have yet to leave me sat in a pool of my own sweat, struggling for breathe & my heart beating like a drum somewhere on the floor in front of me.

For your case, I hope that doesn't happen.

lol

I havent found driving to be a problem. I'm a big fan of driving / racing games. I've found it fun driving around GTA maps in past games, but I know what your saying about it being fun - it can be, but there is something missing most of the time, I dont know what, probably a bit of realism - but its been very good for so far for what they've had to work with.

In GTA 4 I'm hoping for some more realism - feeling of speed, difficulty in different cars, which has been mentioned is happening in IV. As long as the cars have a few more different noises, and just feel a bit more realisitc to drive then I'll be happy.

And there will be smarter peds too, which won't cause random pile-ups anymore :)

And there will be smarter peds too, which won't cause random pile-ups anymore :)

Apparently ped vehicles will now indicate, which should make slinking through the traffic that bit easier.

Ah god, thats an easy yet great improvement.

I always hated when you were going 100 mph in a 30 and some tard decides to pull in front of you, ruining your fun.

he is definitely right about the peds being completely 110 unpredictable LOL .. they just zig zag in and out of lanes for no reasons and just stop for no reason...they will hit you from behind if your stopped ROFL.... they got to make the traffic system much more real... its impossible to drive along a highway and not hit a car..and if you did..your lucky as hell..

I just hope that the cars handle well. The last thing I want is a great game with cars that handle as they did in Driver: Parallel Lines - that'd really suck. What I really hated about Driver: Parallel Lines was how the bikes handled. You'd turn left, then try and turn right and it'd take a few seconds for the manoeuvre to be made leaving you crashing into a car. At least with all previous GTA games that included bikes, the handling was light and responsive. Lets hope they continue with that trend.

Provided you're exaggerating slightly about it being 'seconds' fo motorcycles to turn, that's not far from the truth.

If you tried to turn a motorcycle sharp right, whilst leaning left in real life, you would almost certainly come to an unintentional dismount. The way SA handled motorcycle riding, when at full bike skill was insanely unrealistic. Motorcycles are far heavier than the games suggests.

Provided you're exaggerating slightly about it being 'seconds' fo motorcycles to turn, that's not far from the truth.

If you tried to turn a motorcycle sharp right, whilst leaning left in real life, you would almost certainly come to an unintentional dismount. The way SA handled motorcycle riding, when at full bike skill was insanely unrealistic. Motorcycles are far heavier than the games suggests.

Well, yes, it was a bit of an exaggeration about the motorcycles - but you know what I mean. Realism is good, but if its too real it would perhaps be annoying. If you're not experienced on a motorcycle you might find that you constantly crash in the game which would undoubtedly sap the fun from it.

Not on topic of motorcycles, but I wanna touch up on what blnk182fan18 eluded to. I think it's extremely annoying when your driving down a long road in any of the games and the cars have to cut you off nearly every time, I really hope that's fixed. That drives me up the wall.

Yeah, that's really annoying. Traffic must be improved. Indicators would be a good thing.